Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #41

Watch video! These guys need bigger truck. https://youtu.be/Q9DKlnJyNpE
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #42

I stand corrected on the length, which I feel even further reinforces my point (went by the model number instead of looking it up). Again, this is nothing more than my opinion based on my experiences. Others on this site have alot more knowledge and experience on this issue and many of them have spoken in favor of and against your set up. At then end of the day it is not whether or not your truck will tow it, it is whether or not it will tow it safely. I think your mind is already made up. Go ahead and get it if you feel this is a proper and safe set up. Just keep us up to date on your experiences.

Safe travels!
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpoppe View Post
I stand corrected on the length, which I feel even further reinforces my point (went by the model number instead of looking it up). Again, this is nothing more than my opinion based on my experiences. Others on this site have alot more knowledge and experience on this issue and many of them have spoken in favor of and against your set up. At then end of the day it is not whether or not your truck will tow it, it is whether or not it will tow it safely. I think your mind is already made up. Go ahead and get it if you feel this is a proper and safe set up. Just keep us up to date on your experiences.

Safe travels!
Will do. Yes, the bank paperwork is done. Waiting for closing date. Not turning back now. P.S. you forgot to say I-O!!!
Uh Oh Better Get Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
Watch video! These guys need bigger truck. https://youtu.be/Q9DKlnJyNpE
LOL!! Ain’t no amount of genius gonna over come that kind of wind. Wooowee! Screw that.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #45

Do not forget gas, WDH weight, and/or any other cab and bed cargo. For me, this is way too hard on the TVs margins, maybe even beyond them. I personally would not tow this trailer with this truck. I would go to the CAT Scales with your TV fully loaded, gas, cargo, occupants, and WDH with all parts either assembled or in bed. Get a fully loaded TV number and then go from there with the TT units you are considering.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #46

As the owner of a ProPride hitch who used to tow overloaded with a Tundra (but under GCWR), even if his 2006 F150 is at it's limits and it will be, at least he has the brains and balls to pony up for the safest WDH on the market. Will his truck lack power to pull hills at speed limit plus? Sure with only 300 HP it will. Will his truck bog down and then rev high with the 4 speed transmission? Sure it will. Will he upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab in the near future? Absolutely...more so because his kids will grow bigger and start hauling much more stuff. He'll also find with the ProPride hitch that long trips are very doable as the truck and trailer combo will be steady and rock solid on the road.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
As the owner of a ProPride hitch who used to tow overloaded with a Tundra (but under GCWR), even if his 2006 F150 is at it's limits and it will be, at least he has the brains and balls to pony up for the safest WDH on the market. Will his truck lack power to pull hills at speed limit plus? Sure with only 300 HP it will. Will his truck bog down and then rev high with the 4 speed transmission? Sure it will. Will he upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab in the near future? Absolutely...more so because his kids will grow bigger and start hauling much more stuff. He'll also find with the ProPride hitch that long trips are very doable as the truck and trailer combo will be steady and rock solid on the road.
Thanks for the review and opinions Lifted. I guess we will see on power. I’ve towed over 10,000 before on hills and it wasn’t too bad. But the wind resistance will be much higher with this trailer. I do fortunately have the best gear option that was available at 3.73. Ford rates it for 9,300 lb tow capacity in my cab/bed drivetrain combo. Also the 5.4 makes 365 lb ft of torque starting all the way down at 1500 RPM. I’ll give feedback. If anything about this tow setup sucks I will def be honest about it. Our first trip is in a few weeks and we are going to Hocking Hills KOA, in Ohio. LOTS of hills. If this combo is going to suck, at least I’ll find out sooner than later and also on one of the shorter trips.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #48

You're going to hate towing that TT. I towed the same 31' 7300 lb TT with two F150's. The 1st was an 08, same as your 06. Except I had 1775 lbs for CCC. 3.73 gears.
And yes it was a Scab 6.5 bed. It struggled ALL the time and I'm at 134' above sea level. In the mtns it had to work real hard. And BTW it doesn't make the peak TQ until 34-3500. So you don't have much down low. You'll be in 3rd all the time.
I too towed a smaller trailer with my 08. 21'6" @4050 lbs loaded. Best tow ever. Super smooth. I would advise you to get Scan Gage to monitor your temps. The goofy needle gauges don't move until they sense over heating. You'll soon see how hard the 5.4 is working when the temps shoot up. I had to slow down many times because the tranny and coolant temps were rising too fast. And my truck only had around 20,000 miles on it.
I can't believe you're going to cram your 3 kids in the back of a Scab. Thats got to be pretty uncomfortable for them.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #49

I agree. Get a new truck man. It’s the safety of your family and to actually enjoy camping. That pro pride may make it toldersble to tow but that’s it.

Check my pst posts. Very similar to why I upgraded. Use the money from the hitch you bought and get a bigger tuck.
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #50

I agree with Murf....your tongue weight will be closer to 900+, any less you will have sway... your at the limits of your truck.. yes it will pull it but in a few years the kids are bigger, they want to bring a friend with you have more toys to bring etc, your going to be white knuckling it. I would get a bigger truck or smaller RV.. it's not worth it in my opinion. Things always weight more than you think they do and junk will expand to fill space available

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #51

OP, as I mentioned in the second post in this thread, 80-90% of people will tell you to get a bigger truck. Hopefully, you will still at least test tow with your current PU. If I listened all those experts when I asked similar question two years ago, I would have bought a 3/4 ton truck which I would hate for many reasons. I did not listen, I educated myself and I am happy camper. However, you drive a truck already, so your mileage may vary.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Uh Oh Better Get Jayco,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh Better Get Jayco View Post
snip...... My truck with the 29BH will be one of the safest set of numbers I’ve ran really. And I believe one of the safest in reality too.......snip
Now that you have your new TT, taking your TV/TT combination under loaded conditions to a CAT Scale will confirm all your weights, confirm WDH adjustment, etc..

CAT Scale how-to:https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

IMO at the end of the day most properly sized/installed/adjusted WDH (w/sway control) incorporated into a TV/TT combination that's within their specified weight limits will provide optimum TV handling.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
You're going to hate towing that TT. I towed the same 31' 7300 lb TT with two F150's. The 1st was an 08, same as your 06. Except I had 1775 lbs for CCC. 3.73 gears.
And yes it was a Scab 6.5 bed. It struggled ALL the time and I'm at 134' above sea level. In the mtns it had to work real hard. And BTW it doesn't make the peak TQ until 34-3500. So you don't have much down low. You'll be in 3rd all the time.
I too towed a smaller trailer with my 08. 21'6" @4050 lbs loaded. Best tow ever. Super smooth. I would advise you to get Scan Gage to monitor your temps. The goofy needle gauges don't move until they sense over heating. You'll soon see how hard the 5.4 is working when the temps shoot up. I had to slow down many times because the tranny and coolant temps were rising too fast. And my truck only had around 20,000 miles on it.
I can't believe you're going to cram your 3 kids in the back of a Scab. Thats got to be pretty uncomfortable for them.
Your right. Not sure where I read that it made 365 at 1500, but I read it. Can’t find it now so might have read it wrong anyways. I found this list below . Still a nice torque curve. Over 300 torque from 2000-5000. Over 350 from 3000-5000. They put the 5.4 in 3/4 and 1 tons also. So its no slouch. My kids love riding in my truck more than the wife’s plush minivan. Anything else you wanna bash about my truck while your at it?

1. Scab cab
2. Weak engine
3. Crap towing abilities
4. Putting kids in the back seat is child abuse

Keep them coming goducks

Torque curve
5.4L

1500 rpm = 260# ?
2000 rpm = 315#
2500 rpm = 340#
3000 rpm = 356#
3500 rpm = 365#
4000 rpm = 365#
4500 rpm = 363#
5000 rpm = 350#
5500 rpm = 297# (Redline)
6000 rpm =

Look, if this experience ends up sucking then I’ll admit that and look to solve that. But it’s happening and getting tried first. I’ve seen a lot of setups that should be worse get bragged on by the owners as towing amazing and problem free. Again we shall see.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #54

Uh Oh Better get Jayco

This thread has beat the death out of towing the 28bh with a F150 with one exception---- Does the driver wear boxers or briefs. Seriously though the 5.4 3V is capable of a lot, towing without 4:10's (and they were available in 2006)is not one of it's strong points. While very reliable, gutless is the only polite word I can up with and I speak with 19 yrs ( snow plowing & towing )of experience. I bought a '13 used eco-boast and it's absolutely awesome. If an F150 does it for you think about very seriously. Larry ps get the trans temp guage as previously mentioned
Old 05-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #55

Since the numbers have been sliced and diced ad nauseam, I'll give you my real world experience and you can do with it as you wish.

We have a 2009 F-150 XLT SuperCab with 4.6L 3v, six-speed tranny, 3.55 gears, trans cooler and 18-inch wheels. Stated tow capacity: 9K, Payload: 1,595.

Trailer is a 2008 Keystone Cougar 29fks. Dry weight: 6,085, TW 965. Ball-to-bumper: 32 ft, 6 inches.

Curt TruTrac 15K WDH.

I've not run it over a scale so don't know what the actual numbers are.
Most of the towing is less than 10 miles one way but a couple weeks ago we towed about 65 miles each way through the Kansas Flint Hills (not the Rockies, but significant nonetheless) on Interstate and two-lane roads. As long as I kept the speed under 65 I had no problems. No sway, truck had plenty of oomph, and no overheating of engine or transmission.

Is it perfect? No, but more than acceptable for our needs. It's definitely NOT a white-knuckle experience. Were we towing several thousand miles a year, I'd be looking to upgrade, but no more than this trailer gets towed I've got better uses for that $30K-$40K.
Attached Thumbnails
20180429_124138.jpg  

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29BHS ECO View Post
This thread has beat the death out of towing the 28bh with a F150 with one exception---- Does the driver wear boxers or briefs. Seriously though the 5.4 3V is capable of a lot, towing without 4:10's (and they were available in 2006)is not one of it's strong points. While very reliable, gutless is the only polite word I can up with and I speak with 19 yrs ( snow plowing & towing )of experience. I bought a '13 used eco-boast and it's absolutely awesome. If an F150 does it for you think about very seriously. Larry ps get the trans temp guage as previously mentioned
x2. I had a 2wd and actually looked into getting 4.10's installed. The shop I talked to said 4.30's would be a better solution. In the end it was the handling part I wasn't happy with. And the 5.4 is a dog compared to todays V6 and V8's. Just because they used to put it in 3/4 tons doesn't mean anything more than that it's work load cycle is heavy duty. It's a solid engine for sure, just low on HP and TQ. Couple that with the 4sp and it's slow to get things moving and always in 3rd with that heavy of a TT.
It's a "Just get by" scenario at best.
OTOH if the OP is only towing short distances and on mostly flat roads then sure, why not go for it.
I guess we all have our own set of standards for comfortable towing.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #57

No one is doubting it will drag whatever down the road.. But what stress is it putting on everything in that truck? The trans, differential, axles etc.. They put numbers for a reason..you won't know what is really happening till a while down the road when you have more miles on the truck. What the real cost is, will be determined in 3 or 4 years of towing.. only thing certain is you can never have too much truck....but you can have too little. Good luck on your decision.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #58

What’s funny is he asked and everyone gave the opinion. In the end I speak from my experience towing a 30’ 7200lb travel trailer with a 2016 f150. It towed it and I can see how some might think it towed fine. I however go to the mountains a lot and have 3 young kids in the backseat. I didn’t feel it was that safe and figured for a $5k difference in selling and upgrading to an2500 it was worth it. I can say now towing is much more enjoyable and I don’t stress getting to the campsite and back. I arrive relaxed and ready for my vacation.

5k pound is the max to tow a TT with a 1/2 ton and be COMFORTABLE. Maybe more with a flatbed trailer.

10k TT/5yh wheel for a 2500

15k 5th wheel for a 3500 DRW

20k 5th wheel for a 4500 drw

Again this is to tow comfortable. If that’s what you want then there’s your answer.
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #59
Lost in the Woods

Uh Oh, you will find that this forum is very anti-F150 which is one of the reason why I return so infrequently. Anytime there is a question about towing with an F150, the bashing begins there is a loud chorus of uninformed opinions that have no experience towing with a properly equipped vehicle or they did not know how to set up their hitches properly. If you are retired and have a 350/3500 DRW you don't have to know how to adjust a WDH for a 7000 lb trailer.

The assumptions that you will be overloaded or that even if you are within Ford's ratings, you will be unsafe, because the expert engineer experts know better, are worthless opinion that are often repeated on this forum. As is the myth that a 3/4 ton will stop in a shorter distance because it has "better brakes" according to the experts. If you search the forum, you will see it is the same forum members that show up to bash anytime somebody inquires about towing with an F150, and have no worthwhile information to add. This does not occur on this forum when somebody inquires about towing within the manufacturer ratings of Rams, Chevs or Toyotas and it is unclear why the F150 bashing is supported and endorsed on this forum.

I just got back from a 400 mile round trip with a setup that is similar, except I have the 6 speed with max-tow and a couple of hundred more pounds of payload. Mpg on the dashmeter was 9.5 mpg (always within about 0.1 hand calculated) Had some 40 mph cross-winds with semis passing on single lane highway and you could hear the passing wind but the drive was very relaxing and comfortable with no sway whatsoever. Any who doubt, let me know and I will record and e-mail some GoPro video from the next trip.

Your tongue weight estimates are a bit low based on my experience, but you might be able to get them close to that with careful packing. An important misconception is that you will have 12% to 15% tongue weight plus the weight of the hitch. This is incorrect as the weight of the hitch will be included in your tongue weight. Running 12% TW with a Propride/HA will be safer than 15% TW with any other hitch on the market. Running 10 to 12% TW with a PP/HA will free up some payload.

Airbags and LT tires will not increase capacity but they will make for a comfortable tow when you are towing in the upper limits of your TV. Last year I got a 5 start tuner which changed the shift points and bumped the torque a bit which moderately improved towing with my F150. Not sure if improvements would be as significant with your 4 speed, but something to look into and you might be able to find a used one online that you can get some custom tunes for your truck from 5 star.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #60
bap

OP, I would hook up to your new trailer, get the WDH dialed in and head out camping. We tow a Jayflight G2 29BHS with a 2013 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi and 3.55 rears. We have never run out of power and with the WDH set correctly, it handles it fine. People on here will tell you you need to have a truck bigger than what you have, the biggest motor available and that’s just to run down to the local store to get a six pack. Part of the reason is that there is a lot of people towing that have no clue what they are doing, have more money than brains and shouldn’t be out towing in the first place. 30-40 years ago, if you had a motor in your truck over 200hp you were king. Now, if you only have 300 hp they say you are underpowered. Try out your vehicle and camper and see how it goes then decide. You will quickly find out if you are comfortable or not. You may find that you can get by for now and upgrade later if you need to.