Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #61

One thing we do not worry about is being over weight! That is the truck lol.We bought a 2006 Ram 3500 dully new,12 years ago..Payments were painful but whats the price for safety?Now I need to get off my soap box! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
100_0357.1584.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #62

I've noticed something reading these forums.
There are those people who think this setup is fine. The ones who are driving similar setups where they are close to the limits of their TV and are looking for vindication of their decision.
There are some who say the numbers are imaginary and 'not legal' and would have you believe there isn't a whole team of designers, engineers, and lawyers who decide what the GVWR, RAWR or payload capacity are for a particular vehicle based from federal standards. They would say if you put a set of airbags and Timbrens on a Toro lawn tractor you can tow a 18k fifth wheel up Mt. Everest with no problems.
And there are those who look at the numbers, do the math and realize that the specifications weren't designed for the 99.9% of the time there isn't a problem. They are designed for the 0.1% there is. And if you are running at capacity it could make a problem into a catastrophe.
I've scraped too many bodies off the pavement of people who were just doing what others have been doing 'with no problems'.

2017 Jayflight 27BHS
2019 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 SCREW 3.5Eco 6.5' bed 3.73 Max Tow & HDPP
NYMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #63

Some funny posts in here. Been a good thread topic as far as involvement goes. Glad for all the participation regardless of positives and negatives. I was originally just hoping to receive a few replies. I am more than happy to have had so many replies to read through and sort out for myself. We close tomorrow on the camper. Can’t wait. Demo Saturday. They are gonna deliver it all the way to my house. 3 1/2 hour trip one way. The Propride hitch will hopefully show up a few days later. I’ll be installing it myself. 1 to save money and 2 (most important) to be totally familiar with the setup and workings of the hitch. We might do a very short trip to a local camp ground first which has CAT scales on the way. I’ll be able to put real numbers to this topic. Thanks to all who supported their replies with real world experience.
Uh Oh Better Get Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #64

So, my in humble opinion (worth every penny you have payed for it) you may find yourself having a bit of a stressful experience. Your truck will certainly be able to pull the weight. The two big issues will be payload and surface area. Among other things, a trailer that big just acts as one giant sail on the highway. Crosswinds, headwinds, trucks passing, etc will all get your attention and then some. Even with a good hitch you will find the truck gets kicked around.

Another issue is wear and tear. if your numbers are right, you will be close to both the payload and towing limits. That means you'll be putting a lot of stress on things like the transmission, driveline, wheel bolts, suspension components, and so on. Expect a higher probability of failure. I would strongly recommend you install E rated LT tires for the truck if you have not already done so. That will make a difference in handling under load.

All that said, buy the trailer, try out the towing, take it easy, keep an eye on the tranny temp, have fun, and in a year or two, just surrender to the urge and get a diesel F350. Will that be too much truck? Oh, my Lord, yes! But you'll never go back to gas or a half ton after that!

Best of luck and let us all know how it goes.
wcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #65

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4098.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	40069

Is this enough truck for this trailer? Look overloaded. Driving down the highway at 70 + mph.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:27 PM   #66

How do you know that he is overloaded? Regardless, I keep the distance from any lifted trucks, in particular, when they are towing.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:24 AM   #67

I doubt that truck is overloaded. Looks to be a 2500 or 3500. Look at the rear axle center section. Probably a diesel at that.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #68

2500 with rear end sag. Picture doesn’t do it justice. Saw him swaying or he just like riding on rumble strip every now and then.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh Better Get Jayco View Post
Some funny posts in here. Been a good thread topic as far as involvement goes. Glad for all the participation regardless of positives and negatives. I was originally just hoping to receive a few replies. I am more than happy to have had so many replies to read through and sort out for myself. We close tomorrow on the camper. Can’t wait. Demo Saturday. They are gonna deliver it all the way to my house. 3 1/2 hour trip one way. The Propride hitch will hopefully show up a few days later. I’ll be installing it myself. 1 to save money and 2 (most important) to be totally familiar with the setup and workings of the hitch. We might do a very short trip to a local camp ground first which has CAT scales on the way. I’ll be able to put real numbers to this topic. Thanks to all who supported their replies with real world experience.
Well, at the risk of flogging a horse that if not already, is dangerously close to expiring ... here's my experience with the 5.4 Triton. I had an '05 F-150 crew cab short bed 4x4 with the same engine and gears as yours. I loved that truck. I bought a small farm and began towing in the 6-8k range (horses, hay, farm equipment, etc.). Previously, my F-150 had only seen a few 4 wheeling weekends on the outer banks and had been used for carrying my camping/hunting gear. I immediately saw a very noticeable decline in my truck's performance as soon as I started towing heavy loads.

I know those YM 5.4's have had their issues, but I also know I put 225k miles on a 5.4 in a '99 Expedition without ever changing any more than the fluids and 2 batteries (never hauled heavy with that truck either). The problems with the '05-'06 5.4's are well-documented, and it sounds like you have not had any issues to date. I only comment to emphasize that towing that kind of weight may bring any lurking issues to the surface or drastically degrade the performance and longevity (and value) of your F-150. I could seriously notice a drop off in performance of my '05 from one heavy load to another - all within its tech specs and tow ratings.

All that is to say that if you have any inclination to upgrade your TV anytime in the near future you might want to, at the least, consider doing it sooner rather than later while you still have maximum value in your truck and it runs as it ought to. I don't want to be accused of preaching 'you have to have a 3/4 or full ton truck to haul anything over 5k' ... I'm fully aware that a properly matched trailer/hitch/anti-sway set up can make for a pleasant and efficient towing combo with 1/2 ton trucks. I'm just sharing my experience with that (or very close to) YM 5.4 and towing at close to its rated capacity. Not sure your mileage, but mine was around 80k and it absolutely killed my 5.4 - all within roughly 2500-3k miles of towing at average ~ 7,500 lbs on weekends and the occasional mid-week farm errand. Could mine have been a bad engine? Absolutely. But, I have read too many similar accounts with those YM 5.4's and know several people who experienced issues with that engine as well. I also had zero issues with that truck or engine before putting some serious weight behind it and asking it to work.

If it's what you have - use it. Your math looks sounds to me, and hopefully you will not experience the same issues I and others did. I'm sure if its an uncomfortable experience, or something concerns you, you will respond accordingly ... just sharing my experience since you asked for comments backed by experience.

I know the new f-150s are far more capable and by all accounts great trucks, but personally, that experience ruined me (on 1/2 tons, gassers and Ford, to be perfectly honest) and I'll never have another 1/2 ton as long as I have anything serious to haul. I know everyone's mileage will vary. Once again, just my personal, very humble experience and opinion.
2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4, 7.3 PSTD, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (1503)
topshelfredlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh Better Get Jayco View Post
When they deliver it to the house let us know what type of vehicle the dealer used to make the delivery.

I think the issue many people are raising isn't "can" your truck tow the trailer (your numbers seem to be within the specs for the truck) but will it be a pleasant towing experience. Will the truck downshift and the engine scream every time you get to even a moderate incline? Can you maintain highway speeds on various inclines? Will you be able to accelerate to highway speeds on the average size highway entrance ramp?

I'm sure the engineers at the auto companies have factored in some margin of safety in establishing the tow limits. I don't think they factor in a margin of comfort.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #71

Funny if somebody thinks that this is relevant for this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
When they deliver it to the house let us know what type of vehicle the dealer used to make the delivery.(...)
Old 05-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #72
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
2500 with rear end sag. Picture doesn’t do it justice. Saw him swaying or he just like riding on rumble strip every now and then.
That is a disaster waiting to happen. His TT is more than slightly nose down with the TV clearly more than slightly nose-up. WD hitch is not properly adjusted which is exacerbated by his amateur install of his lift kit. At least being on a 3 lane highway during the day he will have lots of other vehicles to bounce off of to slow down when he loses control. He probably spends a lot of time on RV forums telling people how unsafe it is to tow at travel trailer with a half-ton and they need at least a 250/2500 to be safe and comfortable

I'll take my half-ton set-up over that setup any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
….. which is exacerbated by his amateur install of his lift kit.
How in the world can you tell it's an "amateur install of his lift kit" ?
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #74

now if we can just add what kind of oil to use then the thread will be complete...

I use dino oil every 12k miles whether it needs it or not... v

GO!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:02 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
now if we can just add what kind of oil to use then the thread will be complete...

I use dino oil every 12k miles whether it needs it or not... v

GO!

LOL curver!
Old 05-27-2018, 05:03 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Funny if somebody thinks that this is relevant for this discussion.

I know right lol. Blew my mind.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:39 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfredlabel View Post
Well, at the risk of flogging a horse that if not already, is dangerously close to expiring ... here's my experience with the 5.4 Triton. I had an '05 F-150 crew cab short bed 4x4 with the same engine and gears as yours. I loved that truck. I bought a small farm and began towing in the 6-8k range (horses, hay, farm equipment, etc.). Previously, my F-150 had only seen a few 4 wheeling weekends on the outer banks and had been used for carrying my camping/hunting gear. I immediately saw a very noticeable decline in my truck's performance as soon as I started towing heavy loads.

I know those YM 5.4's have had their issues, but I also know I put 225k miles on a 5.4 in a '99 Expedition without ever changing any more than the fluids and 2 batteries (never hauled heavy with that truck either). The problems with the '05-'06 5.4's are well-documented, and it sounds like you have not had any issues to date. I only comment to emphasize that towing that kind of weight may bring any lurking issues to the surface or drastically degrade the performance and longevity (and value) of your F-150. I could seriously notice a drop off in performance of my '05 from one heavy load to another - all within its tech specs and tow ratings.

All that is to say that if you have any inclination to upgrade your TV anytime in the near future you might want to, at the least, consider doing it sooner rather than later while you still have maximum value in your truck and it runs as it ought to. I don't want to be accused of preaching 'you have to have a 3/4 or full ton truck to haul anything over 5k' ... I'm fully aware that a properly matched trailer/hitch/anti-sway set up can make for a pleasant and efficient towing combo with 1/2 ton trucks. I'm just sharing my experience with that (or very close to) YM 5.4 and towing at close to its rated capacity. Not sure your mileage, but mine was around 80k and it absolutely killed my 5.4 - all within roughly 2500-3k miles of towing at average ~ 7,500 lbs on weekends and the occasional mid-week farm errand. Could mine have been a bad engine? Absolutely. But, I have read too many similar accounts with those YM 5.4's and know several people who experienced issues with that engine as well. I also had zero issues with that truck or engine before putting some serious weight behind it and asking it to work.

If it's what you have - use it. Your math looks sounds to me, and hopefully you will not experience the same issues I and others did. I'm sure if its an uncomfortable experience, or something concerns you, you will respond accordingly ... just sharing my experience since you asked for comments backed by experience.

I know the new f-150s are far more capable and by all accounts great trucks, but personally, that experience ruined me (on 1/2 tons, gassers and Ford, to be perfectly honest) and I'll never have another 1/2 ton as long as I have anything serious to haul. I know everyone's mileage will vary. Once again, just my personal, very humble experience and opinion.

My truck has all the updates. These trucks did have some common problems, all which I know about and all have been done on my truck. Spark plugs break off, exhaust manifolds start leaking and cam phaser's stop functioning, are 3 of the bigger more expensive engine issues. There are a few that do not pertain to the engine also but no need to discuss them here. I am VERY mechanically inclined and well aware of my vehicles status as I do my own repairs. Matter of fact the cam phaser job got done last year. You will notice a slight loss in power because the timing is not being adjusted correctly anymore. The timing can get far enough off that the engine will actually have a hard time even idling correctly. Mine stalled twice at stop lights and I said it was time to get it done. Ford makes updated version's of the parts that cause failure. I bought the entire genuine Ford kit with the chains, guides, solenoids and all. While I was in there I replaced a few extra's including the oil pump and water pump. It sounds to me like your phaser's had been failing rapidly and you just kept on towing things. It is the only logical explanation I can find for your claims. The only Slight loss of power my truck ever experienced was when the phaser's started going. But even then it wasn't drastic but it was obvious to someone who pays attention. You start to here the ticking when it all begins to happen. Some guys go another 30-50k that way even. Probably because they don't tow. My truck had 108k on the originals. Now that they are new and updated I should have at least another 108k to go before experiencing this problem again. Or it may never happen again. It has been stated in here though by other experienced members that their 5.4 had plenty of towing power with similar loads. I've already towed more than this amount of weighed on more than one occasion. I was more worried about the big sail affect. That is why I bought the Propride. The camper is here now and the Propride was drop shipped. Cannot wait!
Old 05-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #78

You won’t have an issue towing with the propride. That doesn’t mean it’s too much trailer for the truck but the propride is very good at masking it.

There were two smart things you could have done: 1) get a 2500/3500, 2) get a propride hitch.

Personally, although both work, I’d rather fix the problem then mask it.
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:04 AM   #79

I would say that 70-80% of people towing with 2500/3500 are masking problems with unnecessary big trucks, because they do not know what they are doing, e.g. incorrect weight distribution, speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
You won’t have an issue towing with the propride. That doesn’t mean it’s too much trailer for the truck but the propride is very good at masking it.

There were two smart things you could have done: 1) get a 2500/3500, 2) get a propride hitch.

Personally, although both work, I’d rather fix the problem then mask it.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:50 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I would say that 70-80% of people towing with 2500/3500 are masking problems with unnecessary big trucks, because they do not know what they are doing, e.g. incorrect weight distribution, speed.
I must be in that 70 - 80% that's "masking my problem" towing a 7500lb TT with a tongue weight over 1000lbs, including 100lb WDH, with a 1500 rated for 7700 towing and 1700 payload by buying a 3/4 ton truck

As has been said many times on these forums ..... You can't have too much truck, but you can have too much trailer.

2017 Jayflight 27BHS
2019 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 SCREW 3.5Eco 6.5' bed 3.73 Max Tow & HDPP
NYMarty is offline   Reply With Quote