Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #1

2006 F150 and 2018 Whitehawk 29BH?

The wife and I are looking to pull the trigger on our first Jayco tomorrow. Its a 2018 Whitehawk 29BH. It will be the longest heaviest trailer I've towed. I ran some numbers against forum threads Ive read and google searches but I think I need to hear more opinions to ease my mind. I don't want to white knuckle to and from camp grounds and I don't believe I will have to, at least on paper. But you always see stories about mountains and cross winds and it worries me a little. I am a good, cautious driver and I have pulled lots of trailers in my life but as stated not quite this big, not as far, and not with my family that I want to keep save. Our current trailer is only 17.5' and 3500 lbs. With family, gear, and bikes in the bed, I can't even tell the campers there. So here are all the numbers on the possible new setup below that I want expert advice on. Thanks Jayco nation!

2006 F150 4x4 5.4l 3.73 gear Supercab 6' bed-1600lb payload and 9300lb towing (this is what I found for specs on the truck)

Top model Blue OX W/D hitch with anti sway

2018 29BH dealer says 7,100 with batteries and propane, tongue weight 730lb

My family of 5 weighs 500lb

Bicycles on rear of camper 200lb

We are light weekend packers. Guessing 500lbs in gear. 700lbs max?

Uh Oh Better Get Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #2

80-90% of the opinions you will hear here will be: not enough truck (payload... you can pull, but you cannot stop, legal issues, insurance, etc., etc. etc.). Be prepared for this. My advice: educate yourself.

You can check my post on towing 28DSBH with BMW X5. Great trailer, great tow vehicle. I am using ProPride hitch and relocate the batteries into the trailer (lithium).

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-x5-53561.html

bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #3

Nice thread. Love it. If that don’t make me feel a little better I don’t know what will. Lol So I’d love to have your second opinion besides to educate myself. I educated as far as I think I can. Also what’s the hp and tq output on that BMW diesel?
Old 05-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #4

265 hp, 425 lb-ft

I spent hundreds of hours educating myself Airstream forum was VERY helpful as you have there a higher percentage of people towing larger trailers with SUVs.

A caveat - I do not know whether your tow vehicle is adequate as I have no experience with such combination. However, from my observations, 70-80% people did not figure out the link between the trailer and the tow vehicle (improper weight distribution, trailer nose up or down, etc.) and the speed. All of this impacts handling. The usual response is then - half ton is inadequate, you need 3/4 ton or a tank to tow such trailer.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #5

Maybe I should have just made a thread asking thisvvvv

“Who is towing a 2018 Whitehawk 29BH with a half ton, and how has your experience went for you?”
Old 05-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #6

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...key-39737.html

You may wish to discuss your situation with Mikey
Old 05-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #7

So to provide what you asked for........

My opinion;
1. You will run out of payload before towing capacity.
2. Is the 1600lb payload from the door sticker on your truck?
3. What is the dry weight from the yellow sticker on the trailer?
4. Have you added anything to the truck (i.e. Tonneau cover, running boards, etc.) which gets subtracted from truck payload?
5. The dealer tongue weight quote is the same as the Jayco website dry hitch weight which "does not include cargo, fresh water, propane gas, options or dealer-installed accesories" Your tongue weight will undoubtedly be higher.
6. The 100lb Blue Ox hitch weight gets subtracted from truck payload
7. Since Ford includes full fuel and a 150lb driver in their payload you only need to subtract 350lbs for your family from truck payload.
8. You may want to research mounting the bikes on the trailer bumper. There are posts on these forums suggesting that without reinforcing the bumper that may not be a good idea. Ask me how I know.
9. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of trailer weight, mine is 12%.
10. The only way to get true weights is to run the truck & trailer across CAT scales, but that means you already bought the trailer.

Do the math and determine for yourself.

Personally I think that is too much trailer for that truck to have a 'comfortable' drive. I towed a 2017 Jayflight 27BHS with a 2008 Silverado 1500 and it towed OK but I wouldn't call it comfortable.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

2017 Jayflight 27BHS
2013 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 SRW CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke
2011 Ford F250 Lariat 4X4 CCSB 6.2L (sold)
NYMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh Better Get Jayco View Post
I am a good, cautious driver and I have pulled lots of trailers in my life but as stated not quite this big, not as far, and not with my family that I want to keep save.
Hey buddy. When I towed a similar jayco trailer with a F150 my opinion was, plenty of pulling power, too much dog wagging the tail for my liking.

My jayco was 33', 7500lb loaded, 1,000 lb tongue weight. We are a family of 5 too.

I think that truck could out pull any other half ton truck at that time. But the height of the camper, length of the camper, and geometry from the bumper pull hitch just makes it less stable than if it were say a flat bed trailer or lower profile trailer, or goose neck.

I tried modifying the suspension. Before I tried air bags and LT truck tires I traded for a heavier truck which was a night/day difference towing.

The truck can pull that load. Just depends on how comfortable you are on the highway with the wind blowing and big trucks passing. I had zero problems under 60mph. It was the highway driving that kept me up a night.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #9

Thanks for all the info guys. Good input. Here’s what I have broken down. My numbers for family weight are all accurate. All numbers for the truck are straight out of the 2006 Ford RV and trailer towing guide. (I will never dry camp or use the fresh water tank. The other tanks will always be emptied before leaving a place.)

TT tongue+730#
Propane + 40#
Battery + 65#
Hitch. +100#
Wife. +125#
Kid. + 70#
Kid. + 60#
Kid. + 50#
Me. +200#
Total. 1290# Payload

After further investigation my truck has a 1529# Payload Capacity.

TV Payload 1529#
Minus. 1290#

So, a good W/D hitch should put at least a little of that payload back on the trailer. Couple that with loading most of our 500-700# of camping gear over top or behind the TT axles, I don’t see how we cannot possibly be in a safe zone with this combo???
We will be 239# under Payload and like 1500# under the towing capacity without even factoring the W/D transferring some payload back to the TT. I also don’t mind spending the majority of my driving at 60mph. I think I’m going to buy it guys. Unless someone can dispute my math and logic?
Old 05-14-2018, 07:59 PM   #10

Numbers are numbers and I’m not in the camp that says that the numbers mean everything. Talk to someone with the same trailer and truck. You can have a setup within the numbers that tows for crumbs...and you can have a setup over the numbers that tows like a dream.

You’re in a gray area. Nothing is for sure here. If you can buy the trailer and pony up for a propride or Hensley if needed....or if you can pony up for a bigger truck if needed, or if you can afford to ditch the trailer if it doesn’t work out...go for it.

Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote