Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2022, 01:48 PM   #21

Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by West_of_West View Post
Hand calculated, about 13-14 unloaded. I have a 3” lift (purchased used) I’ll check tire size.
That lift will kill your mileage.

2010 Eagle 256 RKS
2018 F150 SCREW Shortbed with 3.5L TT
From Cheyenne, Wyoming
Markomyt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:00 PM   #22

My 2 cents...a black sheep view.

Watch out for spending dollars to save dimes.

If your vehicle is throwing codes on the OBD-II port, by all means, address those issues. Otherwise, you're going to spend a ton to get marginal improvements.

Essentials for towing:
  • Clean air filter;
  • Fresh oil and filter;
  • Accessory drive belts in good shape;
  • Coolant fush and refill;
  • Brake fluid drain and refill...have you ever done this?
  • Transmission flush, fill and service;
  • Differentials drain and refill;
  • Check your U-Joints and CV Joints;
  • Check your brakes...pads and rotors.

Those are the basics, and they will set you back at least a kilobuck.
If you start digging into plugs, plug wires, induction and exhaust carbon buildup, injectors, and so on, you may add another $2K to that.

I don't presume all your trips will be 115 mile round trips. But let's use 500 miles round trip as an example.
If you got 7 MPG over 500 miles and gas costs $5.00/gallon, you'll spend $357 on gas.
Now let's up the mileage to 10 MPG. Gas would cost $250.
You'd save $107 on fuel.

Let's say you go all in with engine tweaks to extract that 10 MPG towing at a cost of $2000. You'd have to make almost nineteen round trips of 500 miles to recover your investment.

3 MPG increase is likely to be some serious wishful thinking. That's a 43% increase in fuel economy...one helluva lot to ask from a "tune up", especially on a vehicle that's computer controlled and port fuel injected (2008).

My bulleted list is what you more or less MUST do to tow safely and not ruin your Sequoia due to lack of maintenance. The tune up list only addresses performance and efficiency. From your OP, I detect no comments about the vehicle not running well.

If you're going to be a frequent long-hauler with your RV, by all means make the investment...or perhaps buy a new TV that's twice as efficient. But if you're going to go out 5 to 10 times a year and be largely local (115 miles round trip), think long and hard before buying new fuel injectors, etc.
Alternatively, park the Sequoia and use it mostly for towing, and get yourself a Prius as a daily driver. Then you save some serious bucks on gas...and preserve that Sequoia as a workhorse. That, in fact, is what I do. My 2006 RAM 1500 has barely 100,000 miles on it. We bought it for towing and work...and an occasional off-road romp on two-tracks in the mountains. It's not a grocery getter or commuter car.

By the way, when towing, I see lots of 7s on the display. Dead flat and no wind, I might see 9 or 10. But I NEVER exceed 60 MPH...as much as anything to baby the RV tires. Empty, on the other hand, I'll get 17 mpg all day and sometimes see as much as 20. So when I'm towing, my mileage is cut in half or worse.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...like I said, a black sheep viewpoint.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:12 PM   #23

Based on my years of rv towing, several trucks and several trailers, when towing I generally expect about half the mpg that I'd get empty. On a recent trip my unloaded '21 Ram HO Cummins managed 23.5 mpg (computer), 23.1 (calculated). I seldom drive over 60 mph. After 5,000 miles of towing last year the average was just under 11 mpg with a GCW of about 22,000 lbs. The OPs 7 mpg isn't great but maybe it is what it is.
Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:16 PM   #24

Have you visited a CAT Scale, I’d be interested to see your actual weights. Our first TT was a hybrid (X23B) and scaled 4500#. We towed with an Expedition V8 gasser and saw mpg in the 9’s. The “max tow” number was 9000# but the rear axle was over its GAWR with another couple in the back seat. I see the GVWR for your unit (for 2021) is just over 8k. Loaded to that weight you’d have around 1000# on the ball.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:20 AM   #25

Before spending money on a "tune up" does your vehicle get normal fuel mileage unloaded?

If so a tune up will not increase towing mileage.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:26 AM   #26

Maybe if you check the towing chart for your truck. Possibly change the gear ratio for the weight of the trailer your pulling. It might pay for itself in a year or less