Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2020, 04:56 PM   #1

2013 Jayco 26.5 RLS towing with 2020 F350

Folks, new to the forum. Looks very helpful and informative. I have a dilemma I could use some help with. I own a 2013 Jayco Eagle HT 26.5 5th wheel. We love it and it is exactly what we need. The problem is my 2001 F350 gave up the ghost and I replaced it recently with a 2020 F350 SRW 4X4 shortbed. Really like the truck but it is TALLLLL. Tailgate sits at 59". Based on measurements and backing the truck up to the 5th wheel if I could even get it hooked up it would be crazy nose high.

So, any recommendations on how I might lift the 5th wheel? The bottom of the bedroom, when off the truck and level, is at 53". I don't expect that the new truck is going to squat much, especially with a half-ton towable 5th wheel. Maybe 1", 1.5"??? If my assumptions about squat are correct then it looks like I'd have to lift the 5th wheel on the order of 10-11" to get it level while towing. Crazy. Not practical. And not safe. Hopefully my assumptions/calculations are incorrect.

Basic question that could help me is if anyone knows if the shackles are adjustable on this trailer. It is in storage so I cannot go look at it right now. If the shackle are adjustable I could maybe gain a couple inches here. I've also heard the MorRyde SRE4000 suspension system can get you some additional height. Would the two combined be feasible? Not going to get me 10" but I'm just looking for options at this point.

Any other thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated. I may have just made a fundamental mistake by buying such a tall truck but, for other reasons, I need the hauling/towing capacity of a one-ton. I just wasn't thinking about the extreme height of these new trucks.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions you might have.
rlpatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpatte View Post
Folks, new to the forum. Looks very helpful and informative. I have a dilemma I could use some help with. I own a 2013 Jayco Eagle HT 26.5 5th wheel. We love it and it is exactly what we need. The problem is my 2001 F350 gave up the ghost and I replaced it recently with a 2020 F350 SRW 4X4 shortbed. Really like the truck but it is TALLLLL. Tailgate sits at 59". Based on measurements and backing the truck up to the 5th wheel if I could even get it hooked up it would be crazy nose high.

So, any recommendations on how I might lift the 5th wheel? The bottom of the bedroom, when off the truck and level, is at 53". I don't expect that the new truck is going to squat much, especially with a half-ton towable 5th wheel. Maybe 1", 1.5"??? If my assumptions about squat are correct then it looks like I'd have to lift the 5th wheel on the order of 10-11" to get it level while towing. Crazy. Not practical. And not safe. Hopefully my assumptions/calculations are incorrect.

Basic question that could help me is if anyone knows if the shackles are adjustable on this trailer. It is in storage so I cannot go look at it right now. If the shackle are adjustable I could maybe gain a couple inches here. I've also heard the MorRyde SRE4000 suspension system can get you some additional height. Would the two combined be feasible? Not going to get me 10" but I'm just looking for options at this point.

Any other thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated. I may have just made a fundamental mistake by buying such a tall truck but, for other reasons, I need the hauling/towing capacity of a one-ton. I just wasn't thinking about the extreme height of these new trucks.

Welcome to the Forum.

Based on your response you haven’t even hooked the truck up yet so a lot of your concerns are assumptions . I’m sure you’ve heard the saying about assuming ? You also haven’t mentioned what hitch you’re using? And you haven’t mentioned the actual pin weight of your 5er both empty and loaded.

I suggest you start by hooking the camper and truck up and see:
1) IF you actually have an issue…which you probably do as you’ve noticed the new trucks are tall and 5ers haven’t followed the trend.

2) Determine how much of an issue you REALLY have...probably far less than you think.

3) Now, you can formulate a course of action to correct the problem.
A) Different hitch, one with height adjustment. My Andersen adjusts
Three height adjustments: 16-3/4" lower position, 17-7/8" middle position and 19-1/8" upper position (from bed of truck to top of ball mount)

B). MorRyde SRE4OOO???

C) Flip the leaf springs over the axles

D Lower the leaf springs to a lower hole on the hangers.
If you go this route gusset the hangers

4) The following is how I lifted my 5er for my 99 F350 DRW. I posted this in a different thread that is why I mention blocks vs a solid spacer.

Welding a “spacer” between the frame rails and the hanger brackets will allow you to keep the leaf springs in the higher hole (closer to frame). This reduces the leverage the springs have on the hangers themselves. This method also keeps the springs below the axles i.e. stock position but gives you and any potential buyers, the option, if necessary, to either flip the springs over the axles or lower the leaf springs to a different hole.

I cut the hanger brackets off the frame rails and cleaned everything up. I used a 2x3x 7’ x 3/16” rectangle tube as the spacer, then welded new hangers and gusseted them to the new tubing. This allowed me to weld flat on a table rather than doing this under the camper while trying to keep everything squared up and not fight gravity with 5 separate pieces per side.

I opted for a 7’ tube rather than the 5' needed to provide additional frame support in this area. Once everything was welded to the new spacers, I clamped them to the frame, checked and triple checked them for square on both frame rails then burned them in. I wrapped the area in a welding blanket to ensure everything cooled SLOWLY so as not to introduce warping. Once everything was cooled , I checked the measurements then painted everything with a rattle can and re-installed the axles. This is also the time to seriously inspect your leaf springs...do they need to be replaced and possibly upgraded???

I would not weld “blocks” but use a solid piece that measures at least 12” longer than what’s needed…more strength and easier to keep everything squared up and you’re only technically welding 2 pieces rather than 10 to the frame rails. Keep in mind that the size of the spacer does NOT indicate how much lift you’re adding. This information will come from clamping the hanger brackets to the spacer then measure from the distance between the TOP of the spacer to the leaf spring hole. This is will also change after the camper is loaded.

Hope this helps
Old 08-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #4

Nose high 5th wheel

I have the same issue with a newer 2019 2500HD Silverado truck. It is about the same, 59" bed height. I have tried to adjust everything and yet I am still about 4-5" nose high. Towed about 4,400 miles this summer with it that way and no problems that I see, yet. It towed really smooth and yet I am worried about the rear bearings getting too much load on them. Will probably take it to a CAT scale and see what the real weights are on the axles. When I was on the trip a few weeks ago, it was amazing how many 5th wheels I saw with this same condition, nose high. Some were about the same as mine and some were way worse. I have seen some info on Lippert Correct Track but can't find anyone here in town that knows anything about it. From the little I can find on it, it is supposed to raise the trailer up about 3 inches and align the axles.
Curly
Curly2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpatte View Post

My 2018 26.5 RLDS has MorRyde 3000 on it from Jayco. It also has 16" wheels and Goodyear Endurance tires. It still sits nose high on my 2017 F350. I am sure the axle and shackles could be further manipulated for a price. At some point rasing the trailer would require taller stairs, but I had already added the 4 Step Above stairs.

I have thought about changing to the 2WD rear blocks, on the truck many times. I understand they are an inch'ish lower that the 4WD blocks.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote