Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #11

Re: 2013 Ram 5.7

My '09 has the 5 speed tranny.... I only use the T/H mode when it feels like it is hunting for gears. I also use a Superchips Flashpaq set to max tow which I found really helps. Not sure if they are available for the newer RAMs but definitely worth a look. :-)

Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I engage T/H every time I'm towing my TT, under all road conditions. The fact that my T/H just raises the shift points of all the gears by approximately 500 rpms means that my TV drivetrain is making better use of it's designed in power torque curve when under added load (TT in tow). In my case the T/H has nothing to do with locking out any gear (overdrive, etc.) or changing the drive RPM once in a gear.., it just allows the drivetrain to work easier up-shifting/down-shifting when under load.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I engage T/H every time I'm towing my TT, under all road conditions. The fact that my T/H just raises the shift points of all the gears by approximately 500 rpms means that my TV drivetrain is making better use of it's designed in power torque curve when under added load (TT in tow). In my case the T/H has nothing to do with locking out any gear (overdrive, etc.) or changing the drive RPM once in a gear.., it just allows the drivetrain to work easier up-shifting/down-shifting when under load.

Bob

X2

Both my trucks work the same way, and OD will still engage in T/H when conditions permit.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #14

The tow/ haul mode shift patterns are designed to better utilize your power curve for your drivetrain. Shift points will be delayed a bit to keep the RPM and torque up a bit as well as prevent too much "hunting" for the proper gear and your torque converter will lock quicker to minimize the slippage which causes wear and heat. The higher RPM that you run in also allows the fluid to circulate quicker in turn enhancing the cooling and keeping it within the operating range (provided you have a transmission cooler- which you should if you have a trailer package). Tow/haul also enhances the engine braking by shifting down during steady braking to take a bit of the load off of your service brakes.
What is the best way to use it? In all honesty- it is a bit of trial and error. Personally, the only times I have ever used a gear lockout is when going down a steep grade- and I do that to help with the engine braking. Odd times- I will lock out certain gears to keep my RPMs in the sweet spot if I am really climbing too. I don't try to keep a set speed on grades- I keep the RPMs in a happy place for the engine so it doesn't try to eat itself. Truthfully, except for the situations I listed, I can't see any reason not to engage Tow/Haul and set the speed control. The computers in these trucks are way smarter and faster than we are, and they are designed to run within their optimal ranges and they know better than we do what they should be doing. I used to prefer the feeling of a clutch and a manual trans to control everything I did. Now, I can't imagine anything other than letting the machine do all the work for me
smurfs_of_war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #15

Most engines function better running a few more RPM's. The reason the factory includes a Tow Haul mode is to keep your transmission from shifting a lot and slipping which causes premature wear. The transmission operates on fluid pressure. Low RPM's equal low pressure and possible slipping of the clutches. I totally agree with Rustic Eagle's response.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #16

2013 Ram 5.7

on my 2013 ram 5.7 i use t/h whenever towing. If pulling some weight (6k plus or so), might have to lock out gears in the mountains. The hemi likes to make its power 3k-4k...dont be afraid to let her rev (and watch the fuel drop like a rock...1mpg going up some of the hills in west va)
Old 12-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #17

Some guys with Rams, drive with the Tow/Haul on, all the time. They just like the way it shifts better. It also forces the transmission to actually downshift as you are slowing, rather than coasting in a higher gear. I would suggest, ( and I do also) use the T/H any time your towing. I have a 2500, Cummins, I use the manual shift to hold the transmission from up shifting, as well. On Rams, when you go to manual, the transmission will shift up and down, to whatever gear you select.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #18

Tow/Haul mode also disables the ECO mode multi displacement system, which drops out four cylinders for better fuel economy.

I love my 2011 Hemi Ram. It's pulled my 26BH from Kansas, to south Texas, southern Arizona, Seattle (several routes- north to 1-80 and 1-90, and I-70 over the high passes in Colorado). It always performed perfectly.

On the highway I keep it in tow/haul and drop the gearing down to 4th. At my speed the rpm's hover around 2200, and mpg's have averaged around 11 pulling the trailer. Going over the passes I slow down and drop it into 2nd.

SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote