Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #1

2015 F250 PSD Engine sounds...

Hi all,
I have a 2015 F250 PSD. I notice that sometimes the engine changes "tone", for lack of a better word.
Sometimes it is almost completely quiet, almost like a gas engine. Other times it will start "clattering" like a diesel semi. I most often notice this when driving around town as the engine warms up.
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their PSD?
Thanks,
Dan

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #2

Sounds like it's going through regen. Exhaust regeneration. It's normal.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Hi all,
I have a 2015 F250 PSD. I notice that sometimes the engine changes "tone", for lack of a better word.
Sometimes it is almost completely quiet, almost like a gas engine. Other times it will start "clattering" like a diesel semi. I most often notice this when driving around town as the engine warms up.
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their PSD?
Thanks,
Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Sounds like it's going through regen. Exhaust regeneration. It's normal.
Dan:
Check further online and with your Ford dealer. As TWP said, it may be going through the normal regen process. BUT, as I recall, Ford had issues with some 2015 PSDs where, I believe, the exhaust valves were overheating during the regen causing the 'clattering' noise.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #4

Sorry, this is big as my puter will let me get it. Download it then read.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #5

Thanks Guys,
It could be exhaust regen. But I will mention it at the next service interval just in case.
Dan

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 12-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Dan:
Check further online and with your Ford dealer. As TWP said, it may be going through the normal regen process. BUT, as I recall, Ford had issues with some 2015 PSDs where, I believe, the exhaust valves were overheating during the regen causing the 'clattering' noise.
Correct!

Check on powerstroke.org.....they are several threads in the 6.7 problem forum with issues that oldmanaz mentioned. Ford is working on a fix if that is your issue, but its still at least a few months out as I understand. The EPA has to approve the fix/update before Ford can start doing it.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Maybe they are running the fix by the VW engineering staff! LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #8

I don't notice any change in the noise when my '13 6.7 cleans its DPF. Hope it's the quirks in the '15 model as mentioned and that Ford engineering (with the help of VW engineering) gets this sorted out quickly.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #9

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
Correct!

Check on powerstroke.org.....they are several threads in the 6.7 problem forum with issues that oldmanaz mentioned. Ford is working on a fix if that is your issue, but its still at least a few months out as I understand. The EPA has to approve the fix/update before Ford can start doing it.
Yikes! I sure hope it is not that valve issue they are all talking about.
I have had two "strange" incidents happen. First was halfway between Roswell and Albuquerque (yes, truly the middle of nowhere) the truck went into "limp" mode. Had to have to towed back to Albuquerque where they did some "stuff" and fixed it.
Second thing was at Dead Horse Point in Utah. While driving up the long grade (no trailer) it felt like the truck started jerking. The road was kind of bumpy with expansion joints and I thought it was my foot hitting the gas peddle. Having read the posts on that other forum, it sounds like it might have been the engine issue.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 12-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #10

I don't have experience with the Ford, but my Ram automatically runs the exhaust brake in colder weather to put more load on the engine to help warm it up faster. I can definitely tell a change in tone because of the exhaust brake.

Is it possible that your Ford has a similar feature? I know that I can manually raise the RPM's in park to heat it up faster. Then I can turn the exhaust brake on to help heat it up even faster than that. But if it is chilly enough, the exhaust brake automatically comes on and doesn't illuminate the dash or have the effect of slowing the truck.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:11 AM   #11

ReGen happens when the truck idles for periods of time or driven short periods. The system needs to regenerate itself due to lack of distance, so to speak, driving. It automatically does it when driving a medium to long distance. And sometimes the light comes up and sometimes it flashes so quick on the instrument panel that you may not even see it. Regenerating of the particulate filter underneath is always taking place. Sometimes you notice it, sometimes you won't. It depends on length of travel. We have customers on a constant basis coming in arguing they have a $65K truck and it's running horrible, when in fact, it's running optimal.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:24 PM   #12

2015 F250 PSD Engine sounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
ReGen happens when the truck idles for periods of time or driven short periods. The system needs to regenerate itself due to lack of distance, so to speak, driving.

False
Regen occurs when the particulate filter reaches its designated soot mass (in grams) to initiate the process.
This is a constant process MEANING the particulate filter is always gaining soot mass while driving HOWEVER REGENERATION is not constant.
It also can be forced into regeneration by means of the dealer
When idling for long periods or doing stop and go and not getting up to speed for a period of time the truck in most cases will notify you to continue driving.
Limp mode is an entirely different animal. This can happen for 2 main reasons; 1) the truck is out of DEF fluid and is limiting its speed due to being out of compliance with emissions and 2) something is seriously wrong with the truck and to reduce damage the truck will limit its power levels and performance to keep it safe.