Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
We had a 07 Canyon with the inline 5 cyl engine. It was a great little truck and pulled our quads and Rhino with ease. I was disappointed when I saw they dropped the 5 cyl engine.
Yeah, that was a pretty good engine. They also put in the Trail Blazers. My dad towed his boat with one for years and it did just great. I was sorry to see it dropped from their lineup.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Yeah, that was a pretty good engine. They also put in the Trail Blazers. My dad towed his boat with one for years and it did just great. I was sorry to see it dropped from their lineup.
A great engine but noisy. I had a Trailblazer with the I6. It sounded like a diesel when started up. Every I6 I've ever heard sounds the same. But they'll go forever and have tons of torque. The reason they dropped them was cost. Very expensive to make. It was far cheaper for them to beef up the venerable 4.3 with the pushrods than to keep the Atlas line of engines.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

3.5 I5 was never in the trailblazer..they only came with the I6 4.2 or the 5.3V8
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
3.5 I5 was never in the trailblazer..they only came with the I6 4.2 or the 5.3V8
Same engine family though. That was supposedly one of the advantages, all the shared components. Then again the 4.3 V6 and 5.3 share a lot in common too. At least they used to. That may have changed with the recent upgrades to the 4.3.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
My error. I didn't realize GM had the I6, I thought they only had the I5, or vice versa... I had a Jeep with a 4.0 I6 at the time, so I get the engines of that time in my life confused sometimes...

Anyway, I read an article recently arguing for the I-formation 6 cylinder engines. There was a lot of information about how they are superior to V configuration 6 cylinder engines because many manufacturers just modify their V8 engines to be V6. For one of the listed manufacturers, the outside dimensions of the block are exactly the same between the 6 and the 8. The article went on to explain that the angle of the V makes a huge difference because of opposing forces of the mass of the internals moving around and how the ideal angle for 8 pistons is different than that of 6 pistons. So the V6 engines that have been adapted from V8s are a lot less smooth. The manufacturers employ various balancing tricks to mitigate this and make them smoother, and some have been relatively successful in their endeavors. And they continue to use these adapted engines because of production efficiency and modularity of components. Whereas manufacturers that develop a completely stand alone 6 cylinder engine (either straight or V configuration) enjoy much more success with these engines; albeit at a higher cost.

It was a very interesting article, if I can find it again, I'll put up a link, but I read it on my "FlipBoard" app on my iPad.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #26

Bob, that article is correct. I learned that back in my night school days when I took engine repair and rebuild classes. The I6 in my Trailblazer, while noisy, was also silky smooth in its operation and you could not feel any vibrations on the steering wheel when idling at a stop light, even when it had high miles on it (160k). I cannot say the same about any 4.3 l V6 or small block V8 I have ever owned. Of course on my current 5.3 the glass pack doesn't help.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #27
Lost in the Woods

an inline engine will produce more torque than a V is the biggest advantage but also costs are less(onehead vs 2)and better balance. Unfortunately size is the issue.

If they could fit an inline8 in a truck that is what they would do
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #28

It makes sense. With a V engine, you are moving objects on 2 planes, so the angles and opposing forces have to be just right. With an I configuration, you're only dealing with one plane. Perhaps that's why Porsche (?) designed a "flat" 6 that had equally opposing pistons moving back and forth on one plane?

Engine design theory is SO interesting to me! But alas, I don't have the engineering background or education to fully understand it. I'm a "bean counter", usually diametrically opposed to the design team. By training, education and profession I'm more interested in the costs involved, but personally, I find the design and engineering aspects fascinating.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #29

The inline family was the 4 cyl which they still use, the 3.7 5 cyl and the 6 cyl that was used in the trailblazer. They had the following horse power. 200, 250, and 300. They shared lots of internal parts. The V6 that will be in the 4x4 is not from the 4.3 which was derived from the old 5.7 or 350. The V6 they are using is a lighter and smaller engine than the 4.3
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote