Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #1

2016 Dodge Grand Caravan-Towing Package or Aftermarket?

Hi all, I'm very to new to all this and wanted some advice on getting a class 3 Hitch, wiring and brake control for my 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. I will be pulling a 16 XRB which will be close to my capacity, not ideal but the its the way it has to be for now and we will be packing very lightly.

My question, since the vehicle is still under warranty is it better to pay a bit more to get it installed at the dodge dealer that I bought the van at or get it done at a decent after market place that someone suggested to me? The difference would be around $200-$300 more to get it done at the dodge dealer. Not sure if there is questions i should be asking each place in order to determine my answer? The dodge dealer said the parts they use are Chrysler/Mopar. The after market place uses Draw-Tite hitch and wiring/brake controller sounded like he said Dachshund(not sure since he pronounced it Dak-on-sha)

-Dodge dealer around $800 plus tax installed.
-After market $640 plus tax installed.

Dodge Dealer said adding these things ties into our vehicles 3 year warranty although I'm sure this other place has some sort of warranty on their work since its a very reputable place that specializes in this.

The 3rd choice is to get it done at the place we are buying the Jayco trailer which charges about $800 plus tax.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about this? thanks!
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Javin,

As long as your Caravan isn't a lease vehicle I see no reason not to go outside the dealership for a receiver purchase/install as long as the receiver ratings don't exceed what the dealership would install (& mounting style), and/or what your owners manual states.

If the dealership says it would void your warranty going to a third party, have them show you the warranty clause and/or get it in writing..., then I would stay with the dealership.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #3

Javin,
I've installed this same setup on a couple of previous vehicles. Now getting a little long in the tooth to do it myself. I would go with the reputable aftermarket guy. But you could leverage the Jayco dlr. to about $500. which would be plenty for the job. Good luck....
Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #4

Thanks. The van was purchased not leased. Dealership never said it would void warranty going to a third party but they did claim that we would have a better warranty with the dealership on the hitch Ect. So I'm guessing it's better to spend a bit extra and go to dealership? The dealership said they would also check which shocks were installed on my van to see if those need to be upgraded. Not sure if this is an upsell or is it wise toI be looking at getting heavy duty shocks on the rear of van too?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #5

Ok so 1 for dealership and 1 for after market. My gut originally was aftermarket since they install tow packages all day everyday v.s. dealership who does them occasionally I'm guessing.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #6

Only upside to the dealer is if you have to flash the computer for the wiring harness. We had that issue with the Durango and had to go back and forth from third party to dealer to get computer set up for the lights. It was a pain in the behind.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK
2016 Dodge Durango

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
paggy00271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #7

We did get a factory wiring harness and actual Dodge hitch not an aftermarket installed. Just had it done at a third party.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK
2016 Dodge Durango

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
paggy00271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

If you can, I would try to get all Dodge original parts for the install. At least for the wiring harness. The only thing I would HIGHLY recommend is spending better money on the brake controller. The brand is Tekonsha that you were quoted. What model? You really want to make sure you get a proportional brake controller such as the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 (I have used for over 12 years with absolutely no issues) or the P3 or the Primus IQ.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #9

I have a 2008 grand caravan, so things may well have changed, but at that point I am fairly sure the tow package included an AUX transmission cooler. If the dealer is also installing that, it may be worth the extra to have the dealer handle that with a mopar part if you're in warranty. I would be far more concerned with modifying the transmission fluid flow and warranty concerns than a tow bar, tow bar can always be pulled off if it had to be. As was stated above, mopar electrical would be worth the extra too, especially if the other companies are planning on splicing into the existing harness. I could see that causing warranty hassles too.

If its just the tow bar period (and if it is you might consider an AUX transmission cooler if Mopar offers one), I am not sure why the difference. Ours actually had the transmission cooler etc on it per the VIN lookup, but NOT the tow bar for some reason. We bought it used, I installed an after market tow bar.

Out of curiosity, have you checked your payload on the caravan via the tire and loading info door sticker to know the weight you can put on the tongue? I also remember our caravan's manual stating different tow weights based on number of passengers, telling me it may not be much. I am curious now, I might go check ours. We have only used a cargo carrier tray, and towed a very small trailer with a canoe on it, nothing large.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:08 AM   #10

Thanks once again for all the replies, as most have stated since the van is still under warrenty it seems to make sense to get it done at the dodge dealer, especially anything electronic.

I did another thread in the hybrid section(for those who are curious) going over our weight restrictions, tongue weight ect and we are ok there with conservative cargo packing.

I will also ask what type of break controller the dodge dealer will be putting in if we do it there. He mentioned they use all Chrysler/Mopar but not sure if they make break controllers? Also heavy duty trans/rad cooler is now standard on all Grand Caravans and dealer said there was nothing else needed for engine. They will be looking at rear shocks to see if those need to be upgraded as well. Thanks for suggestions everyone.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:35 AM   #11

That's a nice trailer! Not so sure about your tow vehicle, though.

I don't mean to throw cold water on your dreams, but I hope you're not planning on any long distances. We had a 2009 Grand Caravan that we retrofitted with a hitch, brake controller and a transmission cooler. And we tried towing a 2014 165RB, which was fairly close in weight to your 16XRB. While we did not have the work done by the dealer (it was out of warranty), it was professionally done. Didn't help. Poor car overheated on any long uphill, had to stay downshifted for almost any highway driving. Biggest problem may not have been weight, but wind resistance. Take a look at your owner's manual, and see if they still put in a section on front wind resistance. Weight distribution helped a little, but that poor car was sitting back on its heels.

As jsallman1 mentioned, you need to pay attention to the GC's payload limits and the tongue weight of that trailer, too. You're probably going to be in the 400-450 pound range. That's going to be a lot, depending on how many passengers you're putting in it. (I'm going to read the other thread you mentioned.)

What I'm saying is, this is NOT the vehicle you should be towing that trailer with! You could probably tow a popup of equivalent weight, but not a full-height travel trailer. Years ago I towed a Coleman popup with a 4-cyl Dodge Caravan, and did very well with it. But the trailer weighed only about 1700 pounds and didn't add wind resistance.

Many people tried to tell me I was nuts, trying to tow our trailer with that Grand Caravan, but I didn't listen. Well, they were right.

Anyway, welcome to the club, and I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of your new trailer!!!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote