Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgallagher View Post
Gtsum2. You do understand it's not on a ball I assume? I get their concern, however the normal stresses and torques of pulling a trailer up a steep hill and stopping seem to be just as much as the possibility of twisting that square insert. I know they are concerned that the designed pivot point could fail and twist the square pin, but the likelihood of that is very slim I think. Just my opinion.

Yes, I know it's not on a ball. I would think the chances r slim as well, I would just keep an eye on it (as well as the four bolts on the sidewinder). After re torquing mine to 45lbs and using loctite, mine has been good to go.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #142

Fellas, I'm very impressed. It absolutely beats anything I had envisioned in a gassers towing ability. I have owned six dodge cummins in a row. First truck I bought after high school was a 1990 d250 cummins. Last was a 2012. Nothing compares to them on brute strength IMO. However, this 6.4 does the job rather well. I'm certain I will miss the cummins in the mountains, but for everyday driving and me being a 65 mph tower, I am happy. More than happy.
Tgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #143

I wish I could post videos. I took a couple while towing. Tow/haul locks it into 5th. It holds fifth pretty good. Not as long as the cummins, but it will try to pull the hill before downshifting. If it has to downshift it's almost seamless. When it does hit fourth, she's gonna achieve the desired speed quick. I never once felt underpowered. I could hit the speed limit (75) if I wanted. It towed it effortlessly and quietly. This was a true case of "not even knowing it was back there".
When slowing down, it starts downshifting fast. Keeps the rpms high in case you are ready to resume sped again. It's always trying to maintain the right gear.
On the way back home I kicked it up to 70 just to see. We have a gradual grade that I figured would lug it down. When it did downshift about halfway, it locked into 4th and held 3,000 rpms and 70 mph the rest of the way up.
I have no regrets. The engine/trans/gearing combo is smartly set up. When empty she's a rocket. Loaded it's a grunting and pulling beast.
I hope this helps. If you have more questions lemme know.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Yes, I know it's not on a ball. I would think the chances r slim as well, I would just keep an eye on it (as well as the four bolts on the sidewinder). After re torquing mine to 45lbs and using loctite, mine has been good to go.
Thanks for the help. I was wondering about the four bolts on top. I do have my concern about the companion. I still may change the set up. I tried to order the factory fifth wheel pucks, not an option though with the rambox. I am trying to think how I can add a little security to keep it from twisting, just in case.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #145

Thanks for your input, Tgallagher. My trailer is quite a bit lighter than yours, so I should have no issues if I decide to go the 6.4 route.

Like you, Diesel is all Ive had since I was old enough to drive...all of them were pre-emission diesels. Ive talked to enough people with newer diesels, have a good friend thats the service manager of a local Ram dealer, and have another friend that makes a living turning wrenches....Im just not sure these new diesel trucks are for me. Reason being, I worry about the repair cost after the warranty is out...if i could trade every 5 years/100k miles I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #146

You're welcome. I find information on here very helpful also. Just trying to pass the favor along.
What are y'all thoughts on the nose height? There is a solid 10" clearance between the tailgate and the trailer. The frame by the landing gear is right at 7" higher than the furthest back point of the frame.
I generally don't like having the nose that much higher than the back, but I will have to do some fabricating on the mount under the rv.

Thanks for any info.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #147

Quote:
You're welcome. I find information on here very helpful also. Just trying to pass the favor along.
What are y'all thoughts on the nose height? There is a solid 10" clearance between the tailgate and the trailer. The frame by the landing gear is right at 7" higher than the furthest back point of the frame.
I generally don't like having the nose that much higher than the back, but I will have to do some fabricating on the mount under the rv.

Thanks for any info.
I wouldn't be comfortable with the nose that high. You are putting a lot more weight on the rear axle of your trailer.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #148

Quote:

Thanks for any info.
I went back and looked at your pictures. It doesn't appear to look very nose high in the pictures....but pictures can be deceiving. 7" difference sounds like a lot, but keep in mind the axles are close enough to center of your measurements that if you lower it 1" in the front, the back would probably be close to 1" higher.....similar to a seesaw. So if thats the case, 3.5" lower in the front and it would be perfectly level. I've read so many times that 6" of bed rail clearance is enough. Ive got 8" now with my f250 and some places we've camped here in East TN it was almost too damn close at times. I'll never go less than 8" and would personally perfer a bit more.

Saying that, if you comfortable, you could drop the front a inch or so and level it a bit more if you wanted. An inch lower in the front should get your overall difference close to 5" instead of 7". A little bit nose high never did bother me much. Just my opinion though
Old 01-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #149

Not to hijack this thread, but I also have a Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi (2014). We just purchased our first trailer Jayco 27BHS (on order). This will be my first towing experience and trying to get everything set up. My dealer stocks equalizer WDH's and some other no name Chinese brand. I will probably go with the equalizer, but my question is do I need a drop hitch? The rear ends on these trucks look rather high, and I can't imagine it lining up properly with the trailer. Would love to get some input on your WDH set up and what brand hitch ball you have! Thanks everyone!
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #150

My equalizer WDH has a drop shank that can be flipped up or down. Many of the WDH's I've see have a similar shank with multiple settings for the height adjustment.

I use an equalizer hitch with a RAM 3500.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but I also have a Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi (2014). We just purchased our first trailer Jayco 27BHS (on order). This will be my first towing experience and trying to get everything set up. My dealer stocks equalizer WDH's and some other no name Chinese brand. I will probably go with the equalizer, but my question is do I need a drop hitch? The rear ends on these trucks look rather high, and I can't imagine it lining up properly with the trailer. Would love to get some input on your WDH set up and what brand hitch ball you have! Thanks everyone!
It might be best to start a new thread or research info in this forum because asking about hitches and setting them up will probably generate lots of responses. BTW, I've had a 4-point Equalizer brand hitch for about 7 years and really like it. My shank is adjustable for different heights. I had to be cautious with my Equalizer brand hitch regarding the hitch ball for both capacity AND threaded length.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
It might be best to start a new thread or research info in this forum because asking about hitches and setting them up will probably generate lots of responses. BTW, I've had a 4-point Equalizer brand hitch for about 7 years and really like it. My shank is adjustable for different heights. I had to be cautious with my Equalizer brand hitch regarding the hitch ball for both capacity AND threaded length.
Thank you for the info! So being new to towing, your saying the WDH has the adjustable shank included? So I may not have to buy a seperate drop shank? Can you point me to a model number? I will be towing a 2016 Jayco 27bhs, can it handle the weight?
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:43 AM   #153

Well guys I had to cancel my last order on my 2016 2500 6.4L because the wife didn't like the deal they was giving me so I just put in another order with Dennis Dillion Dodge Chrysler dealership today, now for the wait again. I order the Big Horn edition with 8.4 Uconnect with Nav, factory spray liner,4.10 gears, factory chrome step bar, bucket seat, flame red color.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
Thank you for the info! So being new to towing, your saying the WDH has the adjustable shank included? So I may not have to buy a seperate drop shank? Can you point me to a model number? I will be towing a 2016 Jayco 27bhs, can it handle the weight?
Go to this website to see the available hitches and their model numbers, then shop the interwebz for price (PPL Motorhomes out of Houston is usually the best price IME): http://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/...0a0827d02b9ffa

As was said before, you'll get better responses on this with its own thread. But usually the Equal-i-zer brand hitch from Progressive Manufacturing (this is a key point, many people use "Equalizer" to mean ANY weight distributing hitch; be sure you're getting the Equal-i-zer BRAND from Progress Manufacturing) comes with a standard (6" drop, 3" rise IIRC) shank, and it is reversible. You can get them WITHOUT the shank at some retailers, but ironically in my experience, they're more expensive.

The hitch will come in several different weight ratings, so choose the one that will handle at least 15% of your trailer's GVWR (the absolute max that SHOULD ever be on the tongue) and you should be fine. LEARN how to set it up yourself. That bears repeating: LEARN how to set it up yourself! Read the instructions and follow them closely. You dealer MIGHT get close to a proper setup (maybe if they're good, most are not) on an empty trailer. Your trailer will be loaded, so the hitch will need to be adjusted for that after you bring it home and put all your junk in it.

When you think you're close, go to a scale and do a 3-pass weigh on the setup and check that your numbers are good. It all sounds complicated, but it's really not, just a bit tedious.

Most of the guys I've talked to around here use the standard shank, and once loaded up, it's fine. But as they say, YMMV. Get it, set it up, and if you can't get enough drop out of the included shank, a new one with a deeper drop can be had for less than a Benjamin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Well guys I had to cancel my last order on my 2016 2500 6.4L because the wife didn't like the deal they was giving me so I just put in another order with Dennis Dillion Dodge Chrysler dealership today, now for the wait again. I order the Big Horn edition with 8.4 Uconnect with Nav, factory spray liner,4.10 gears, factory chrome step bar, bucket seat, flame red color.
Good grief! I don't think I've ever seen someone have SO much trouble giving a dealer money!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #155

Yeah I know, in all of my buying I have never went through the stuff that I have, I just talk to the guy again today so it still look good.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:22 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Good grief! I don't think I've ever seen someone have SO much trouble giving a dealer money!!
Sounds like a change in tactics is warranted...
Attached Images

TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:41 AM   #157

Yep, I do agree.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:14 AM   #158

Well, I got a confirmation email from the dealer last week so I will wait about five to six weeks on my new order.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:44 AM   #159

There is a calculator on the Equal i zer website to help you select the right size.

Nice tool. Do not go by the model size numbers alone.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:02 AM   #160

update!

I posted a lot in the thread about getting a 6.4 hemi. I looked at a few, drove one, but was still skeptical if the 6.4 would comfortably pull what I pull besides my camper. No doubt the 6.4 would pull my fiver no problems. A few times a year I pull equipment and trailers that are over 15k, but only a few. In the end, I found a nice loaded out low miles 13 crew cab 3500 laramie cummins for cheaper than a base tradesman 6.4 crew cab, so I sprung for it. May regreat it one day if I ever have afterburn issues, but for now its under warranty.

Good day all!