Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #1

2016 Ram 6.4 Hemi

Two weeks ago, I ordered a 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab with Ram Boxes and the 6.4 Hemi. I have always been a cummins guy, but saved $10,000 on the truck by going with the hemi. I have done lots of reviews and so far I have yet to come across any review saying they regret moving from the Cummins to the Hemi. Plus being a truck mechanic, I deal with lots of aftertreatment issues at work, and really don't want to deal with them at home also.

Mostly this truck is my daily driver. Of course it gets used for towing our RV and hauling my gooseneck around. Nothing near enough to justify a Cummins all of the time. I know at times I'm definitely going to miss the power, but I feel like it's worth a try.

Saving the money on the engine, I was able to order a several extras that I couldn't have ordered otherwise. I opted for the factory rear air suspension, bed camera, ram boxes, 20" wheels, etc.

Of course, now to the ram boxes. They obviously pose an issue with a fifth wheel. I believe I'm going to order the Reese Airborne Sidewinder. This seems like a perfect fit for my new application.

Truck will be here mid October. Wish me luck...
Tgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #2

I special ordered a 2015 of the same truck last year and have been very happy with it. For similar reasons I ordered the Hemi, we tow only a few times a year and FWIW the Hemi does a pretty good job when towing.

I will also say that this is by far my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. Its a really nice truck.
dspeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #3

that is the truck I have my sights set on. what gears did you order? 3.73 or 4.10? congratulations on the new truck!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #4

Stay away from the rv.net forums if you're a fan of this truck and motor combination. They're crucifying it over there for it's poor performance on a competitive / comparative test against the other brands. I don't have a dog in the hunt, but it seems to me that it's unfairly getting a bad rap over this one test in particular. As far as I'm concerned, if the truck works for what you bought it for then it's the right truck for you and your application...end of story. Enjoy the new rig.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:13 AM   #5

As a Hemi owner ('07 Ram 5.7L 4x4) the truck has been great. This edition came with life time drive train warranty. No issues ever but probably won't get another Ram as every 30K miles must bring it in for 'all fluids' to be changed and motor tune up (16 plugs etc.), required maintenance schedule for the warranty. So in my 91K miles this has cost $3500. Friend with Chevy didn't have to bring his truck in until 100K miles for similar work and his truck worked just as well.. Not sure if newer models have similar maintenance schedule, but worth checking manual. Again great truck, fun to drive, handles my 264BHW just fine, just irritated about maintenance which to me is excessive.

Larry J
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
As a Hemi owner ('07 Ram 5.7L 4x4) the truck has been great. This edition came with life time drive train warranty. No issues ever but probably won't get another Ram as every 30K miles must bring it in for 'all fluids' to be changed and motor tune up (16 plugs etc.), required maintenance schedule for the warranty. So in my 91K miles this has cost $3500. Friend with Chevy didn't have to bring his truck in until 100K miles for similar work and his truck worked just as well.. Not sure if newer models have similar maintenance schedule, but worth checking manual. Again great truck, fun to drive, handles my 264BHW just fine, just irritated about maintenance which to me is excessive.

Larry J
That does sound excessive. Is that what's stated in the manual? My manual for my 2015 2500 with 6.4 Hemi has normal maintenance intervals; plugs at 100K, Trans/trans case fluid at 120K, coolant 10 yrs/150K ... All reads pretty normal to me. Even the "Heavy Duty" intervals are 60K ... 30K sounds excessive unless you're driving it on Mars or something ...

I love the truck, it's perfect for me and how I use it, and it's nicer than the one before it, so I'm REALLY happy! Wish I could've justified the Cummins, but it just wouldn't be worth it for me.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2bob View Post
that is the truck I have my sights set on. what gears did you order? 3.73 or 4.10? congratulations on the new truck!
I ordered the 4.10 rear end. Will keep yall posted on how it does when it comes in.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #8

you get a 1000# more payload capacity with the hemi vs the cummins.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post

Larry J
Sounds like a special provision to maintain the lifetime drivetrain warranty. Keep in mind that the dealers are the ones making money on selling special warranties. If they didn't make money (extra maintenance) they wouldn't sell them.

Cheers
Old 09-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
Stay away from the rv.net forums if you're a fan of this truck and motor combination. They're crucifying it over there for it's poor performance on a competitive / comparative test against the other brands. I don't have a dog in the hunt, but it seems to me that it's unfairly getting a bad rap over this one test in particular. As far as I'm concerned, if the truck works for what you bought it for then it's the right truck for you and your application...end of story. Enjoy the new rig.
Most on the rv.net forums think everyone should have a dually with a diesel, even if your towing a pop-up.

My 2012 Ram 2500 with 5.7 Hemi 4:10 rear has no problems handling my Jayco Eagle tipping the CAT scale at 8400#.

Congrats on the new truck with the 6.4 Hemi

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #11

My buddy has a 2015 with the 6.4 hemi. Just a suggestion... don't use the tow/haul at first and see how you like it. He found that with tow/haul engaged and driving up grades his truck would drop into 4th, struggle to maintain speed and then drop into 2nd and quickly gain speed, then shift into 4th again.

The next time he didn't use tow/haul and found that the trans would drop into 3rd and maintain speeds better without the higher revving in 2nd.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
My buddy has a 2015 with the 6.4 hemi. Just a suggestion... don't use the tow/haul at first and see how you like it. He found that with tow/haul engaged and driving up grades his truck would drop into 4th, struggle to maintain speed and then drop into 2nd and quickly gain speed, then shift into 4th again.

The next time he didn't use tow/haul and found that the trans would drop into 3rd and maintain speeds better without the higher revving in 2nd.
What does your buddy's trailer weigh? Just curious because I was thinking of trying towing without the TOW/HAUL function activated. Right now I ALWAYS use it and I'm kind of afraid NOT to...

I was reading the manual the other day looking for something else, and here's some stuff I found:

"Automatic Transmission
The “DRIVE” range can be selected when towing. The
transmission controls include a drive strategy to avoid
frequent shifting when towing. However, if frequent
shifting does occur while in DRIVE, select “TOW/
HAUL” mode or select a lower gear range (using the
Electronic Range Select (ERS) switches).
NOTE: Using “TOW/HAUL” mode or selecting a lower
gear range (using the ERS switches) while operating the
vehicle under heavy loading conditions will improve
performance and extend transmission life by reducing
excessive shifting and heat build up. This action will also
provide better engine braking.
When towing a loaded trailer up steep grades at low
speeds (20 mph [32 km/h] or below), holding your
vehicle in first gear (using the ERS switches) can help to
avoid transmission overheating.
If you regularly tow a trailer for more than 45 minutes of
continuous operation, then change the automatic transmission
fluid and filter(s) as specified for police, taxi,
fleet, or frequent trailer towing.. Refer to “Maintenance
Schedule” for the proper maintenance intervals.
NOTE: Check the automatic transmission fluid level
before towing (6-speed automatic only).
Tow/Haul Mode
To reduce potential for automatic transmission overheating,
turn the “TOW/HAUL” feature ON when driving in
hilly areas, or select a lower gear range (using the
Electronic Range Select (ERS) switches) on more severe
grades."

I found this section particularly interesting:

"Electronic Range Select (ERS) Operation –
Six-Speed Transmission
The Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control allows the
driver to limit the highest available gear when the shift
lever is in the DRIVE position. For example, if you shift
the transmission into 3 (third gear), the transmission will
not shift above third gear, but will shift down into second
and first gears normally.
Use of ERS (or TOW/HAUL mode) also enables an
additional underdrive gear which is not normally used
during through-gear accelerations. This additional gear
can improve vehicle performance and cooling capability
when towing a trailer on certain grades. In ERS mode,
gears 1 though 3 are underdrive gears, and ERS 4 is direct
drive. ERS 5 and 6 (Overdrive gears) are the same as the
normal fourth and fifth gears."

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #13

Congrats on the order!! Post pics of your new truck when you take delivery.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #14

Thanksgiving the info everybody.

Camper Bob, what kind of fuel mileage are you getting, empty and towing?
Old 09-18-2015, 07:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgallagher View Post
Thanksgiving the info everybody.

Camper Bob, what kind of fuel mileage are you getting, empty and towing?
Empty, about 14-16 in town, almost 20 hwy (70-75 mph). I call it "in town" but it's probably not the same "in town" others have. I live out in the country and work in a small town, so 2/3 of my 7 mile daily commute is country roads, the rest is small town city streets.

Towing (2014 28BHBE, pretty heavy, nowhere near max), around 9 (60-70 mph). I've had it up around 10 before towing slow on flat back roads, but really with this truck slowing down doesn't save a whole lot of fuel. Some, yes, but it's not terribly dramatic.

Lifetime average right this minute (at 5983 miles and according to my "Gas Cubby App" with about 1/3 or more towing miles) is 10.9, but I just got back from a trip where I towed into the wind both ways, and it was kind of hilly.

For MPGs, when compared to the 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 I traded on this truck, it does a little worse on the highway and city and a little better towing. As far as all around utility and hauling/towing, it's A LOT better. I really do love my truck!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #16

Good info guys. Thanks...
Old 09-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post

Nail on the head there. I have a SD 250 with the 6.2 and love it because it suits my needs perfectly. It cracks me up how truck owners of one persuasion or another will get all worked up because one tuck is a couple of seconds slower or faster than another when racing up a test hill. In real life towing I don't think a few seconds matter.

Enjoy your new truck.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #18

Congrats on the truck!!!

While I am happy with my Chevy at this point, the 6.4 does intrigue me!!! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbravo View Post
In real life towing I don't think a few seconds matter. Enjoy your new truck.
Towing or not, it is unfortunately the way for most this day and age!

Concerning the towing tests that were mentioned, I think it would be interesting for them to be done (TFL tests) twice, once as they do now, and another that is more like "real world towing" by manually selecting gears as most of us would and do!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:18 AM   #19

My honest opinion is...that truck is a beast! It's beautiful in and out and more than capable of being a good TV! Good luck and congrats!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #20

The more I read about the 6.4, the more I'm impressed. I've always been a bowtie guy, so it's between the 6.0 and the 6.4 so far. We have the 28BHBE and no plans to upgrade in the next 8 yrs or so when the last one is in college. Thanks to those who keep us posted on the 6.4.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote