Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2022, 07:56 AM   #1

2020 Chevy - Trailering module black screen...

We have a 2020 Chevy High Country 3500 SRW. Been a GREAT truck, and we love pulling with it.

Just recently upgraded to a 2021 Jayco Pinnacle 37MDQS, and immediately started having an issue when connecting the trailer, like the very first time that we hooked up to it driving off the lot.

The lights and trailer brakes ALWAYS work, but when you're connected, the trailer will NOT show up on the trailering screen. The screen is black. No amount of hitting buttons will cause it to come alive either. MOST of the time, the side cameras work as well, but there have been instances where they don't work the first couple of times, but then start working, with the trailering screen still black. BUT, most of the time, after driving for a couple of hours and stopping, the screen will then show up, and you can select the trailer that you are pulling, and all is well. I have not figured out yet what this "period" of time is for it to start recognizing the trailer.

There are three main issues with that:
  1. You can't run the lights self check from there, so you have to do it the old fashioned way, and while that works, self test is a nice feature for sure
  2. None of the miles that we put on the trailer are being recorded by the truck. This is a nice feature to have as well, because you can tell how many miles you've put on the trailer for maintenance, and just general knowledge.
  3. I have TPMS sensors for the trailer (don't have them installed yet), but I won't be able to check pressures from that screen, because the screen doesn't show up. I'm assuming, however, that if a tire were to go done, it would act like the side cameras and indicate that one is going down. Not for sure how it's going to display that though, if it can't be shown on the screen

Things I've tried:
  • I've read on some other forums that when this happens, you simply have to get out of the truck by opening the drivers door, and it works. That doesn't work here
  • I've unplugged and replugged the trailer, numerous times, thinking maybe it wasn't a good enough connection, and that doesn't help
  • I've read on other forums where you should always plug in with the truck turned off (which seems silly to me), but I've tried, that, and the results are the same
  • We had SOB before this, and it never exhibited this behavior. However, there were times that it was not connected, and I thought that it was / should be, and I would unplug the connector and reinsert it, and it worked fine. The SOB has full LED lights on it
  • I have a flat-four motorcycle trailer that I've pulled a LOT, and I've never had this issue there (this trailer does have LED lights as well, but obviously not JaySmart)

Is it possible that the JaySmart feature is interfering with my already too-smart-for-itself truck? Have others had this issue, and what is the fix???
cadman_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:00 PM   #2

I also have a 2020 with Tralering package. I have also got blank screen. The only thing that works for me is go back snd unplug the trailer plug. Turn off your engine. Then before you start the truck back up plug your traler back in then start your truck. I know it’s a PIA but has worked for me in multiple occasions. Wish Chevy would fix this
Sandybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandybar View Post
I also have a 2020 with Tralering package. I have also got blank screen. The only thing that works for me is go back snd unplug the trailer plug. Turn off your engine. Then before you start the truck back up plug your traler back in then start your truck. I know it’s a PIA but has worked for me in multiple occasions. Wish Chevy would fix this
Thanks for the tip! Doesn't help you, but it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one experiencing this!! At this point, I'm open to anything! I don't think that's a sequence that I've tried. Have you tried using the plug in the bumper, or is that the one that you are using? I just realized as I was typing this, that I have never actually tried plugging into the bumper recep to see if acts any differently.

What still seems weird to me, though, is that this didn't start until we got the Jayco. Our previous 5er would often show an "unhooked" situation, but it would always correct itself after doing the self-test. I don't believe that I have ever had my "simple" flat four motorcycle trailer ever fault on me. Hummm...
Old 01-03-2022, 08:53 PM   #4

Since someone else has the issue, I dug into it a little bit more. I searched before posting, and couldn't find a whole lot.

However, in my re-search tonight, I found this link:

https://www.gm-trucks.com/silverado-...the-quick-fix/

DO NOT, AND I REPEAT DO NOT DO THIS!!! I have done this with ours, and not only did it NOT fix the issue, it wiped EVERY setting out in the system, INCLUDING all of mileages that I had accrued on my various trailers. THIS WILL WIPE OUT EVERYTHING, and for us, didn't work. Proceed with caution!!
Old 01-03-2022, 09:16 PM   #5

I have a 2017 Jayco 27RLS and a boat I pull. I have had this happen to both.

I’m using the plug in the bumper.

I figured the above sequence that I use is like rebooting a computer. After it locks up. Does not reset everything like the above link specifies.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:58 PM   #6

Quote:
I have a 2017 Jayco 27RLS and a boat I pull. I have had this happen to both.

I’m using the plug in the bumper.

I figured the above sequence that I use is like rebooting a computer. After it locks up. Does not reset everything like the above link specifies.
Well shoot. Another theory shot down.

Thanks for the info!!!
Old 01-03-2022, 10:04 PM   #7

Good Luck

I have talked to my local Chevy dealer about this and they said they never even heard of it. It is documented with GM snd hopefully get a fix.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Good Luck

I have talked to my local Chevy dealer about this and they said they never even heard of it. It is documented with GM snd hopefully get a fix.
Hummm...

Isn't that funny that my dealer said the same thing. LOL. I actually like my dealer, but I think they just don't want to mess with it.

From the interwebs searching I did tonight, there are GM bulletins on it, but the fix is resetting. That is not fixing it. There is a software issue, according to the bulletin, and it baffles me that they can't fix the software to correct it. SMH...
Old 01-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman_ks View Post
Hummm...

Isn't that funny that my dealer said the same thing. LOL. I actually like my dealer, but I think they just don't want to mess with it.

From the interwebs searching I did tonight, there are GM bulletins on it, but the fix is resetting. That is not fixing it. There is a software issue, according to the bulletin, and it baffles me that they can't fix the software to correct it. SMH...
My guess is they have a bunch of stuff wrong and they are fixing those as the priority comes up... unfortunately this probably isn't as a high priority as other issues... they may be fixing it for the 2022's and then a flash for older trucks ... first world problems....

They never fixed my other trucks issue and that was 6 years and still counting... now they won't because like all older trucks the 3 years is long gone...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
My guess is they have a bunch of stuff wrong and they are fixing those as the priority comes up... unfortunately this probably isn't as a high priority as other issues... they may be fixing it for the 2022's and then a flash for older trucks ... first world problems....

...:
These ARE real world problems.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:12 PM   #11

Just got back from the GM dealer on the trailering module blank screen and tow brakes not always hooking up.

Manager said that GM said is known problem and now has a bulletin out on this issue. Cause is rust developed on contact points on 7 pin plug. The fix is to replace it with a new and improved harness which is on order.

I’ll keep you updated on progress and outcome.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Just got back from the GM dealer on the trailering module blank screen and tow brakes not always hooking up.

Manager said that GM said is known problem and now has a bulletin out on this issue. Cause is rust developed on contact points on 7 pin plug. The fix is to replace it with a new and improved harness which is on order.

I’ll keep you updated on progress and outcome.
Thank you for posting this! Do you by chance have the TSB number that your dealer told you this was covered on?

I'm a little bit suspicious that this is the cause.

I hooked up to a BRAND new trailer yesterday, and it was doing the same thing that my Jayco does. BUT, it started working without me touching anything. I hooked up, didn't work, shut the truck off, came back 15 minutes later, and it worked no issues. Worked all the home, which was a 3 hour trip. If it's corrosion, I find it hard to believe that it magically starts working after 15 minutes shut off, and then continues to work.

I want it to work, but my truck is out of the 36K warranty, so now it's on my dime to fix...
Old 03-15-2022, 07:46 AM   #13

I will ask for the TSB # when I go back in later this week. This is pretty frustrating when I can’t get my trailer brakes to work while pulling 14000#.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:49 AM   #14

Quote:
I will ask for the TSB # when I go back in later this week. This is pretty frustrating when I can’t get my trailer brakes to work while pulling 14000#.
That would be AWESOME!!

I'm in agreement with you about the not being able to see what's going on!

Thanks again for your help!!
Old 03-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #15

FWIW, this may not be related, 2020 chevy 3500, had the intermittent connection issue with 2020 pinnacle, tech said the system doesn't tolerate poor connections well, keep all of your 7 way connectors shiny clean and use dielectric grease. I still have to plug / unplug occasionally, but it is better.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #16

That is good to know. Thanks
Old 03-16-2022, 05:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
FWIW, this may not be related, 2020 chevy 3500, had the intermittent connection issue with 2020 pinnacle, tech said the system doesn't tolerate poor connections well, keep all of your 7 way connectors shiny clean and use dielectric grease. I still have to plug / unplug occasionally, but it is better.
I find it hard to believe that corrosion is the issue here.

In our case, we have a tonneau cover on our truck almost 100% of the time, and the plug in the bed has a tight fitting cover. So, the plug in the bed of our truck is very well protected from the elements.

Fast forward, and we buy a new camper that it is only months old, and the very first time that we plug it in, the connection doesn't work, or we get the black screen. I could plug, unplug, shut truck off, unplug, replug, wiggle plug, rinse and repeat any combination of any of these, and the black screen would not go away. Finally started driving, and then about 2 hours later, after a rest stop for a few minutes, the screen starts working.

With this last brand new trailer that I hooked up, I plugged in, black screen. Left for 15 minutes, came back, and the screen was showing. I did NOT move the plug, or unplug. All I did was shut off the truck for 15 minutes and came back.

However, I don't think that the idea of keeping dielectric grease in there is a bad idea though. I just don't think that's the root cause of the problem...
Old 03-16-2022, 10:28 AM   #18

I don’t have a dog in this hunt , but it sure has peeked my curiosity because I’m in the market for a new Chevrolet truck. Have any of the dealers hooked the trucks up to a scanner looking for error codes? The black screen is one thing but the trailer brake issue is a big red flag. My first though is the bcm (body control module). Being told that it’s just the connection between the truck and trailer seems a little odd.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:11 AM   #19

My 2020 gm hd was checked at the dealer for the trailer disconnected error. No codes present. I never have had the black screen issue. That's why I was thinking it may not be a related issue. They did find a bent pin in the 4 way connector harness but I never have used it. The service bulletins related to trailer disconnected issue I have seen pointed to a poor ground. My hitch has a compressor that runs off of a 7 way jumper that goes between the truck and RV plugs, everytime I use it I get a trailer disconnected error so I inflate the air bags and unplug it.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
I don’t have a dog in this hunt , but it sure has peeked my curiosity because I’m in the market for a new Chevrolet truck. Have any of the dealers hooked the trucks up to a scanner looking for error codes? The black screen is one thing but the trailer brake issue is a big red flag. My first though is the bcm (body control module). Being told that it’s just the connection between the truck and trailer seems a little odd.
In my case, others may be different, my trailer brake controller always works. The control for that is on the screen (which is black), and also on the dash, so you can change the values, and see what value you are at.

What you CAN'T do, is change the trailer to the connected trailer and run the automated light check, and change any other trailer settings you would want to change.

The not being able to change the connected trailer is the big one for me. Without that, you can't keep track of the number of miles you have on each trailer. The truck will tell you when it's time to check bearings / brakes, etc, but it can't do that if it doesn't know the total number of miles.