Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #1

25z excessive sway

Hi I have a 2006 25z and pull it with a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 using a reese pro series with 1200# bars. I get alot of sway from wind and traffic. What can I do to make this better?
sklump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The root cause could be a number of issues like; lacking proper tongue weight, WDH not adjusted correctly, TT not towing level, TT tires under inflated, etc.. I will assume that you are using a standard friction control sway bar and it's working properly.

For the 25Z the 1,200lb rated WDH is more then enough hitch when you consider the 25Z has a UVW of 4,700lbs and a GVWR of 6,000lbs. The loaded tongue weight should be 13% to 15% of the loaded TT weight on a 28ft long TT. For example; if the 25Z loaded weighed 6,000lbs (GVWR), then the recommended loaded tongue weight would be 700lbs to 900lbs........, thus the 1,200lb rated WDH is more then enough.

IMO a visit to a CAT scale will tell you a lot (if WDH adjusted correctly, TT loaded tongue weight adequate, TV/TT weight limit check, etc.). The following JOF link is a TV/TT CAT scale weigh-in "How To": http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

In most cases the root cause of frequent TT sway is improper TV/TT weight distribution, and/or WDH adjustment. There are other possibilities, but I would in the process of elimination perform the CAT scale visit first.

If you can, post a close-up side view pic of your WDH with your TV/TT hitched...., sometimes the root cause can be obvious.

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #3

Tire pressures are at max, I have measure the body height and it is good. I have no scales close. I will work on a picture. Also I am not using any sway control.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklump View Post
Tire pressures are at max, I have measure the body height and it is good. I have no scales close. I will work on a picture. Also I am not using any sway control.
You answered your own question with the last part of your reply. It is the sway control that well, keeps the trailer from swaying in the wind and when traffic goes by. I think if you add this you will notice a large improvement in your towing expierence.
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #5

Is a friction type good enough or do I need a sway control hitch set up?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #6

I would skip the friction bar and if you can't afford a ProPride 3P, look into a hitch setup that has built in sway control. Just remember that most WDH's with sway only lessen the sway, the 3P eliminates sway 100%. They are pricey but well worth the cost. I know, I just upgraded to one.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #7

Best bang for your buck for sway control is the Reese Dual-cam set up. Crosswinds, trucks, uneven pavement...nothing affects my trailer. Little easier to swallow than $3000.00 for the Hensley or Pro-pride. Don't get me wrong...the Hensley or Pro-pride are incredible hitches, just WAY out of my price range.
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A standard friction control sway bar will work, but WDH manufacturer's recommend that two of them be installed (one on each side) on TT's longer then 25ft.. (even one will make a difference).

Unfortunately I believe that the Reese Pro-Series WDH isn't compatible for incorporating the Reese HP Dual Cam kit because the Pro-Series spring bar tails are straight (radius spring bar tails are required).

The next step above a standard friction control sway bar, and used by the vast majority of folks towing HTT's/TT's is the "Equal-i-zer" brand WDH and the "Reese" HP Dual Cam brand WDH (Reese Strait-Line WDH)....., both of these WDH's have integrated sway control and are both extremely effective at handling a sway event should one surface.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
I have good performance from an Equalizer hitch. A simpler set-up than Reese Dual Cam.
If you want a least-cost option, then a friction bar anti-sway may be enough for your application. Many people find they are enough for them. I chose a hitch with the built-in anti-sway and have been very happy with it.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #10

We have a very similar setup and use a single friction sway bar. It does a decent job. It is also really important to make sure you have enough tongue weight, we are lucky to have a CAT scale 15mins away. I also recently purchased a Sherline tongue weight scale. They are little pricey, but it helps me keep my TW correct w/out having to go to a scale.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach8274 View Post
Little easier to swallow than $3000.00 for the Hensley or Pro-pride. Don't get me wrong...the Hensley or Pro-pride are incredible hitches, just WAY out of my price range.
I looked at it this way...My Tundra with options was about $40k, Camper with all our gear is $20k+. So I already have over $60k invested. Buying the best hitch to keep it aligned and on the road and keeping nerves calm is priceless! And that isn't even thinking about our safety and the medical bills "IF" there is a reason the cheaper hitches can't control the sway. I would rather not wait for the "IF"! So in reality they are not way over priced.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
I looked at it this way...My Tundra with options was about $40k, Camper with all our gear is $20k+. So I already have over $60k invested. Buying the best hitch to keep it aligned and on the road and keeping nerves calm is priceless! And that isn't even thinking about our safety and the medical bills "IF" there is a reason the cheaper hitches can't control the sway. I would rather not wait for the "IF"! So in reality they are not way over priced.
I never said they were over priced...I said they were out of my price range. I understand all of what you said. Believe me, I am all about safety when towing. I would love to have a Pro-pride or a Hensley, I've done a bunch of research on them and the technology that went into them is nothing short of amazing. I just can't see spending $3k on a hitch when a hitch that I spent $500.00 on does a wonderful job in keeping the trailer inline.
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #13

Ok I am know looking for a hitch with sway control, looking at a Husky centerline, Equalizer, Reese straight line or Reese with bas like the equalizer Reese cams. Looks for pros and cons for these systems.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #14

I like Equal-I-Zer and have owned most others that cost less than equalizer and would never go back to any of them (personal opinion). I have never owned 3P or Hensley but I hear good things about them also.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
Site Team

WD hitch poll and discussions:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...highlight=poll
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #16

We have a 25Z and sway has never been an issue even when I forgot to attach the friction bar. We have an EZ lift with round bars rated @ 1000# tongue weight which I believe is the max Jayco says to use.

For set up, make sure that the TT and TV are level or that the TT is slightly tongue down. Rear of the TT down is not good. Read the weight info as the unloaded weight considers all tanks empty and may not include optional items. All said and done it is very easy to overload. You probably won't run all tanks full. But FW would be 290# behind the axle and the galley carries a lot of heavy stuff in the back end.

Get out a scale and weigh everything as you load the TT. You may be quite surprised at how much weight you are putting aboard. I think that if you set up the hitch correctly and watch your weight and distribution, your sway problem will be resolved.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #17

If you have "ABNORMAL" sway... your FIRST step to correction is to determine WHY.

BEFORE you install sway control, determine if you are "nose heavy" or "tail heavy" on the trailer.

What you describe is most likely TAIL HEAVY, or too much weight on the back end of the trailer and trailer axles.
BUT... not for sure.
I do know that my 18 wheeler "swings" and "dances" more when I have most of the weight on the trailer and very little on drives.
(say 20,000 on drives & 30,000 on trailer tandems)
Especially in crosswinds.

When you go to CAT scale, weigh WITHOUT any type load distribution on it.

Then get just the trailer (without tow vehicle).
....... you might have to wait til noone else needs the scale for a few minutes.......
Hopefully there will be a chance for you to place the tongue jack on the "steer platform" and trailer axles on the "drive platform" so you can weigh at the two points.

This will let you know if your tongue weight is too high, or not high enough.

Another "possibility" could be the tow vehicle as well.
A lot of folks don't like it, but small trucks like the 150/1500 are sometimes too light.
I can't really say, but I do know my 3500 dually has no abnormal sway or problems with ANY trailer I have towed, and all I do is plunk it on the ball and hook up the chains.
Our 74 SWB chevy does have problems with heavy trailers though.

Could also be simple as the "sway" is NORMAL and you haven't gotten used to it, crosswinds, wind from trucks, shock absorbers, alignment, speed, or a number of other things.
I'm sure it can be solved though, so don't let my words make you nervous... LOL

Hope this gives info or food for thought that helps.
MedicineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
snip......Then get just the trailer (without tow vehicle)........ you might have to wait til noone else needs the scale for a few minutes....... Hopefully there will be a chance for you to place the tongue jack on the "steer platform" and trailer axles on the "drive platform" so you can weigh at the two points. This will let you know if your tongue weight is too high, or not high enough......snip
To make it a little easier, the following JOF link will explain how to weigh a TV/TT combination at a CAT scale without having to unhitch the TT on the CAT scale platforms......, and will provide all required weight data (tongue weight, proper weight distribution, etc.).

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
To make it a little easier, the following JOF link will explain how to weigh a TV/TT combination at a CAT scale without having to unhitch the TT on the CAT scale platforms......, and will provide all required weight data (tongue weight, proper weight distribution, etc.).

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Bob
It's kinda confusing the way it's written and I was just offering a different way.

BTW - those buttons on the CAT scale don't do a thing.
The operator gets a alarm when you pull on the scale.
I know this because I use CAT scales several times every week.
MedicineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
snip....... BTW - those buttons on the CAT scale don't do a thing. The operator gets a alarm when you pull on the scale......snip
Lol......, that reminded about those pedestrian street crossing buttons and the door open/close buttons on elevators

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS