Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

28DSBH with BMW X5

Hello,

I know, many will not like what I will share. I am sharing this information for those, who would like to consider less popular approach to towing. I spent hundreds of hours researching the topic before I pulled the trigger and bought this trailer.

It’s been over two years since my thread on this forum was closed – I asked about towing 28DSBH with BMW and got expelled. I respect all members of this forum, also those who said that I lost my mind. I am just not a truck guy, so I needed to test unusual approach to towing in the US.

It’s been over 8,000 miles already, including towing through Rockies and couple of times through Sierra Nevada. I brought this trailer from Indiana to California... solo. So far, so good… actually, very good!

I am towing 28DSBH 2017 with BMW X5 diesel. I installed ProPride hitch. Dry weight 6,400 lbs, ready for camping approx. 7,000 to 7,200 lbs. Tongue weigh: spec dry weight 680 lbs, my dry weight with two full 20 lbs propane tanks about 690 lbs, ready for camping about 800-850 lbs. I do not have the battery on the tongue. Instead, I installed lithium batteries in the back of the trailer under the bunk bed.

I never tow with water, I do not have generator and generally travel light with heavy stuff in the trailer above the axles.

I am generally within the specs, exceeding the payload max by 100-200 lbs depending on cargo.

My experience with this setup:

- I tow 60 mph on cruise control.
- I have never experienced sway (this is not even possible with ProPride),
- There is none to small bow wave from semis – there is no correction needed mostly or very little,
- No white knuckles, no even once for 1 sec… ok, two times I had emergency breaking as some #$@#%$@#%@#%$ did not know how to merge the highway – the car with the trailer kept the direction, no jackknifing, etc.,

Definitely, this is not TV/TT combo for everyone! As an example, I need to be careful with TW, I do not tow over 60 mph, etc.

Please let me know, if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer them. However, please, please, refrain from commenting on the risks related to towing a large trailer with BMW X5. I wish more people could test such combo and comment then.

Happy camping!

bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #2

Good for you. I thought about getting the X5 before I got my Sequoia but the 3rd row seats were too small for my growing kids. Does BMW required WDH with more than 600# TW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #3

Interesting question. BMW is silent on WDH in manual. The only place where they mention WDH is the installation manual for the hitch. To be precise, they say not to use it If you buy aftermarket hitch, you would not see any restriction in relation to WDH.

Some suggest that this restriction results from the design of the hitch which has long drop plates to the receiver and WDH may flex it. Therefore, I have a reinforcement – a metal strut welded to the receiver and bolted to the rear axle carrier. If you google can am hitch reinforcement you will get the idea. This is another point - as part of my research, I talked to Andy Thomson, probably the best expert in North America in relation to towing matters.

OE hitch with long drop plate - photo from internet.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #4

That has independent suspension in the back right? Do your tires tow out ? That is what I have seen from heavily loaded x5s. I had a 4.4i it was a blast to drive.

It looks odd pulling that long trailer though
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

I also tow with an SUV ( Touareg TDI ) and experience no problems just like you. Now I'm not a truck guy either but I own a GMC for the tough stuff and that's it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #6

BMW specs for alignment are very wide. You need to know what to ask for the guy who is doing alignment. Otherwise, they will put you in "green zone" and you will wear you tires in 10-20k miles.

Toe to minimum (0.00-0.02) and all is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
That has independent suspension in the back right? Do your tires tow out ? That is what I have seen from heavily loaded x5s. I had a 4.4i it was a blast to drive.

It looks odd pulling that long trailer though
Old 01-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #7

The X5 looks sweet with a trailer behind it, as does that Touareg.

I used to tow a 10’ box pop up with my Volvo V70. With the trailer hooked and a family of 4 loaded my rear axle was cambered pretty good but I never experienced abnormal tire wear. The car was lowered as well so I already had a 4 wheel alignment properly accounting for the springs. It towed at 70 mph all over the eastern half of the country with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Bono, How many inches of rise is there in your hitch in order to make the trailer tow level? Do you happen to have a closeup picture of your complete hitch setup when hooked to your vehicle?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:49 PM   #9

Midnightmoon, I am not sure, if I understand the question. Are you asking how many inches the rear sags before I engage weight distribution? If yes, I do not know. Never measured this. And actually, I rise the WD jacks when the tongue is supported by the trailer jack to avoid unnecessary stress on the WD jacks (and my drill).

You may notice that stinger is tilted down to improve the weight distribution to the front axle.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:58 AM   #10
Site Team

Thanks for the picture Bono. I understand a little better how that hitch is attached.

The measurement that I am looking for is the height difference from the top of the receiver tube on your vehicle hitch and the height of the trailer coupler when level. For example, my truck receiver is 23.5" from the ground and my trailer coupler is 28.5" from the ground when level. So, I need 5" of rise in my hitch to keep it level going down the road.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 01-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #11

There is a formula in the ProPride installation manual for how to adjust stinger depending on the coupler/receiver measurement.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
Site Team

I'm very interested to see that the ProPride makes up that height difference up in two steps. On my Anderson, and I'm fairly certain most of the other WD hitches, the height difference is compensated for directly off of the shank. On the ProPride, there is the obvious adjustment there and then the second step up from the end of the shank/stinger up to the level of your trailer coupler. I'm wondering how that effects the overall balance of the tongue weight over the hitch or if the effect is the essentially the same with the rise on a more traditional hitch system.

The reason I bring this up is that in addition to my Ram 2500, I also own a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 passenger van. It's towing capacity and cargo capacity are more than capable of towing my 22BHM. However, since my trailer is so high to begin with, I end up with almost 9" of needed rise from my receiver to make that trailer close to level. I have that adjustment available with my Anderson, but in actual towing experience, it feels twitchy and somewhat unstable behind that van where it is rock solid behind my Ram. I don't necessarily plan on towing with my van, but I'm wondering now if the shear amount of rise needed in my hitch setup somehow contributes to that instability and if the way the ProPride is designed would help with that issue, even if the net rise from the receiver to the coupler is the same.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #13

Thumbs up

Really? A BMW towing?

That right there shows how a much smaller, but capable, tow vehicle can safely and efficiently handle a much larger trailer when paired with a ProPride or Hensley hitch. It's absolutely amazing how much better our campers tow with these hitches. I love mine and although I am "compensating" with a big diesel, my combo is an absolute pleasure to drive.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I'm very interested to see that the ProPride makes up that height difference up in two steps. On my Anderson, and I'm fairly certain most of the other WD hitches, the height difference is compensated for directly off of the shank. On the ProPride, there is the obvious adjustment there and then the second step up from the end of the shank/stinger up to the level of your trailer coupler. I'm wondering how that effects the overall balance of the tongue weight over the hitch or if the effect is the essentially the same with the rise on a more traditional hitch system.

The reason I bring this up is that in addition to my Ram 2500, I also own a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 passenger van. It's towing capacity and cargo capacity are more than capable of towing my 22BHM. However, since my trailer is so high to begin with, I end up with almost 9" of needed rise from my receiver to make that trailer close to level. I have that adjustment available with my Anderson, but in actual towing experience, it feels twitchy and somewhat unstable behind that van where it is rock solid behind my Ram. I don't necessarily plan on towing with my van, but I'm wondering now if the shear amount of rise needed in my hitch setup somehow contributes to that instability and if the way the ProPride is designed would help with that issue, even if the net rise from the receiver to the coupler is the same.
For your application, the Propride would be better than the Hensley Arrow. Both these hitches have similar designs, but one of the advantages of the PP is the adjustability with 3 bolts. To get mine dialed in perfectly I switched the "L" portion back and forth (the "L" can be upside down to adjust the height of the stinger) moving it up and down one hole and still be able to open the tailgate. If I recall correctly, the torque on the bolts is about 120 or 150 ftlbs, so a handheld impact made removal quick and easy. If you were going to be adjusting the hitch on regular basis, you might want to keep some extra lockwashers in your tow vehicle and a heavy torque wrench handy. If "L" reference is unclear, let me know and I can snap some pictures that will make it clearer with less than a 1000 words.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
For your application, the Propride would be better than the Hensley Arrow. Both these hitches have similar designs, but one of the advantages of the PP is the adjustability with 3 bolts. To get mine dialed in perfectly I switched the "L" portion back and forth (the "L" can be upside down to adjust the height of the stinger) moving it up and down one hole and still be able to open the tailgate. If I recall correctly, the torque on the bolts is about 120 or 150 ftlbs, so a handheld impact made removal quick and easy. If you were going to be adjusting the hitch on regular basis, you might want to keep some extra lockwashers in your tow vehicle and a heavy torque wrench handy. If "L" reference is unclear, let me know and I can snap some pictures that will make it clearer with less than a 1000 words.
Thanks. I would appreciate the pictures when you have a chance. No hurry. I appreciate your assistance in helping me understand how this system works.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Hello,

I know, many will not like what I will share. I am sharing this information for those, who would like to consider less popular approach to towing. I spent hundreds of hours researching the topic before I pulled the trigger and bought this trailer.

It’s been over two years since my thread on this forum was closed – I asked about towing 28DSBH with BMW and got expelled. I respect all members of this forum, also those who said that I lost my mind. I am just not a truck guy, so I needed to test unusual approach to towing in the US.

Specifically recall that thread and I am glad to see you are back with an update based on actual experience. I was bashed and called many of the same names by some of the same "experts" because I was and still tow a 28BHBE with a "half-ton" but the number of times that you got called names with the reciprocal congratulations on the great name calling by the ignorant posters in 2 days was a record that the silent majority of knowledgeable JOF members were embarrassed about. Great to hear some actual experience with a similar TT, rather than the repeated disaster myths of the neighbour's brother-in-laws' sisters' cousin towing that same trailer.

Your post highlights the importance of being aware of the actual weights and weight ratings of your TV and TT and the knowledge to set up your hitch properly can make for a safe towing experience.

Happy Camping.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #17

Thanks Ottawasteve. I am very happy that so far the thread is civilized. I am not trying to convince anybody to tow 33 ft TT with short wheelbase car. I was a bit scared when I drove to Indiana to pick up this trailer. I had no idea how this would work. I have never towed such big and long trailer before. In Europe I would actually need additional certification (driving license) to be able to tow it. After a few miles I realized that it was really pleasant driving experience. The only challenge I faced was refueling without a spoter (I was driving solo Indiana to California).

Literally, I can drive with one hand on the wheel (which unfortunately I do usually when not towing), however, I respect the weight behind me and I am trying to keep two hands on the steering wheel when towing for quicker reaction, if needed. With a little bit of planning and effort, it is working… actually, it is working very well. Again, this TV/TT combo is not for everybody (for many different reasons).
Old 01-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #18

Bono I can't say I entirely agree with your setup, but you have clearly thought it through and are doing it safely. That bit of fear you had is actually healthy and it's probably why you are successful. I'd rather see people like you towing than those who think they can just hook it up and go.

BTW, I drive with one hand too. The only time I don't is when I have crosswinds, towing or not.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #19

what nobody drives with a cheeseburger and their legs anymore???
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #20

Cool setup, I'm glad it's working out well. I agree that with pre planning and the right equipment your setup is good to go. Personally, I know I would never pay attention to my weights, I like to just load as much crap as I want into my truck and camper and go, which is why I chose my setup.

Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote