Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

2wd or 4wd

Towing our x23b with our Honda is fine for around southeast Missouri, but we're looking towards retirement and traveling out west. Looking to buy new TV. Is there any benefit of 4wd over 2wd? We would like to save some money and weight, unless there is some benefits with going with 4wd. Our daily driver will be a Toyota Highlander so we don't have to have another 4wd.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

only benefit of 4wd is the time you need it and I am sure you would wish you had it. My tv has gone into 4wd a couple of times backing into an uphill site when it was raining. Would I have gotten in with 2wd, I don't know.

No way of knowing whether you will get stuck sometime but if it was me I would just go with 2wd

nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #3

After getting stuck with 2WD and wondering if I was going to a couple of other times, I won't get anything but 4WD. If you never camp at anything but hard surfaced resort campgrounds then 2WD will be fine. We stay at a certain campground at the end of April while the ground is still soggy from the frozen water in the ground having melted after winter. I've seen a number of 2WD vehicles stuck and had to be pulled out with the campground tractor after the office opened. I've never come close to getting stuck with 4WD. I got stuck bad about 15 years ago when I had a 2WD 3/4 ton and a 27 ft 5er.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #4

If you only stay at places with hard flat surfaces 2wd is just fine. Just about once or twice a year I have needed 4wd to back into a camp spot. I have had many issues with perfectly dry gravel and not being able to get enough traction to back up a hill into a campsite. I stayed at my Aunt’s cabin last weekend. Her whole yard is sand, no dirt of any type to be seen for miles. I pulled in on nearly flat level land, had to put it in 4wd to get up on one block, and to pull out of her yard. I cannot think of one time when it has been wet that I needed to use 4wd. I did stay at one place were the grass was wet and I could feel the wheels slipping so I dropped in to 4wd just from keeping from making a potential mess.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #5

4wd usually only drops your GVW by about 200 lbs and I think "when you need it you need it" is more important than the 200-300 lbs.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
4wd usually only drops your GVW by about 200 lbs and I think "when you need it you need it" is more important than the 200-300 lbs.
True, but what about the $2000? I'm struggling with this decision as well, but luckily I have 3 years to decide.

Current truck is 2WD. We have not stayed anywhere unpaved in the year we've owned our trailer. It's a very large trailer, and DW likes the full hookup sites so most of those are paved. But I can't help but think that some day down the road, we might want to camp somewhere a little more remote, or we might boondock on the beach, or my son and I might take the truck off-road into the woods to get to a good hunting spot. But I struggle with weighing the likelihood of those occurrences and buying 4x4 and never using it. I'm usually a member of the "I'd rather have it and not need it" crowd, but sometimes the budget wins over. I literally stand on the fence and lean one way one day and the other the next. I'll probably end up getting the 4x4 because it'll be the last truck I'll buy for AT LEAST 10 years, and you never know what'll happen in that time...

I'm very interested to hear what are the other opinions on this choice...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #7

Nobody knows where you will camp but you. Yea, you have additional cost up front with 4WD, but if you go to sell it, its worth more as a 4WD too. If you get stuck once, that 4WD would have been worth it.

I have 4WD and have had to use it more than a few times. Leaving for Florida last February it snowed the night before we left and the morning we left. Had to use 4WD to get out of the neighborhood. It could have cost $20K extra and been worth it to get out of the snow and get down to the central Florida Gulf coast for that trip!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
True, but what about the $2000? I'm struggling with this decision as well, but luckily I have 3 years to decide.

I'll probably end up getting the 4x4 because it'll be the last truck I'll buy for AT LEAST 10 years, and you never know what'll happen in that time...
$2,000 over 10 years $200 a year or $16.66 a month or $0.551/2 a day.

Think you just answered your own question.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #9

I was on level ground and grass, glad I had my 4wd.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #10

I have 4wd because all full size SUV's come that way but I've never needed it. I just leave it in 2wd all the time (even in winter ) and no problem. Get a limited slip diff, proper tires and save the weight, cost and maintenance of 4WD.