Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2021, 11:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Nice thing about 4wd is handy in bad weather, unexpected loose gravel, sand, mud or other just not so nice driving surface. Pulling a RV out of a muddy spot is also a possibility. I live in Florida now but still like the 4wd just in case.
We have used 4 wd twice when towing. One was on the dirt road to Goose Pasture on the Wacilla River in Florida. Big mudhole!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #22

I own a 4X4 because I live in Canada, not because I tow. I can't even get into my driveway in the winter without shifting to 4H.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I own a 4X4 because I live in Canada, not because I tow. I can't even get into my driveway in the winter without shifting to 4H.
We happened to take a video of the driveway in to one of our properties a few months ago when talking about a similar subject. We need 4 wheel drive to get in to this property even without snow. 3000+ feet from the main road. This video is of the last 900' up the final hill from the creek.

2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #24

I'm glad I asked the question because I was leaning towards a 2WD and all of you convinced me otherwise. Great responses, thank you.
My new TV will be 4WD.

Jay Flight SLX 7 145RB
scloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by scloyd View Post
I'm glad I asked the question because I was leaning towards a 2WD and all of you convinced me otherwise. Great responses, thank you.
My new TV will be 4WD.
Good choice.

My lawn has a high clay content. 4 wheel drive helps get the camper (and pontoon boat trailer) moving without a lot of wheel spin.

Of course, with our Maine winters, 4 wheel drive is almost a necessity. Hauling a snowmobile trailer along with using our private road in winter with 2 wheel drive is NOT fun...been there, done that! LOL
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #26

We also live in NE Illinois. We strongly recommend going with the 4WD. Not only does it helps if you get a little wheel spin in a campsite, it definitely helps in snowy weather. It stinks having to pay the extra $$ but definitely worth it when you need it.
2021 Ford F350
Nothing beats a day outside camping!
EBCTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea5 View Post
Good choice.

My lawn has a high clay content. 4 wheel drive helps get the camper (and pontoon boat trailer) moving without a lot of wheel spin.

Of course, with our Maine winters, 4 wheel drive is almost a necessity. Hauling a snowmobile trailer along with using our private road in winter with 2 wheel drive is NOT fun...been there, done that! LOL
I think the conditions of your daily drive really override what might be useful when towing if you are towing on paved roads.

I too need 4 wd just to pick some of our eco minded Prii (Priuses?) owners out of the Maine muck in mud season. And having to tow through ice and snow to go south in Feb is a given . My alternative is to stay home and not even go out anywhere.

We used to have FWD and several forays into the ditches here in Maine were less than pleasant. Each town digs deep ditches along side the road to aid runoff and prevent snow banks from getting insanely high.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:36 AM   #28

Quote:
My new TV will be 4WD.
Personally, I think this is a good choice. I use 4wd with the camper way more often than I use it without the TT.

#1 spot, our drive way, 10% grade, concrete. Drop it in 4L, and all I do is apply brake, no throttle and guide it back. Have stayed in CGs, that have beautiful grassy sites, (no gravel). Wet grass plus the TT, 2WD you just spin. Also have used it to back into campsites on nice gravel pads, up a hill, and in 2WD, you just spin, not in 4wd.

No way, would I buy another TV that is not 4wd.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Personally, I think this is a good choice. I use 4wd with the camper way more often than I use it without the TT.

#1 spot, our drive way, 10% grade, concrete. Drop it in 4L, and all I do is apply brake, no throttle and guide it back. Have stayed in CGs, that have beautiful grassy sites, (no gravel). Wet grass plus the TT, 2WD you just spin. Also have used it to back into campsites on nice gravel pads, up a hill, and in 2WD, you just spin, not in 4wd.

No way, would I buy another TV that is not 4wd.
Both of my trucks are 4wd, and to add to what Jagiven stated, when you have a 2wd and are on slick wet grass, if you spin a tire you are going to damage the grass area, perhaps dig nice ruts in it. By using 4wd you can get in and out of most areas without ever spinning a tire, therefore never digging ruts in the ground. Also with 4lo you can more easily control your speed while having a lot of power, usually I can park any trailer I pull as jagiven mentioned above without using the throttle, just brakes, and going slow is a good thing when getting the RV parked and situated. ~CA (I wish my Class C was 4wd but it is what it is).
Old 07-10-2021, 11:20 PM   #30

You will get more than the extra you paid for the FWD at trade or sell time and have it in your back pocket if you need it.
FishNFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #31

My 2006 RAM 1500 is 4WD. We live in the Rockies, so 4WD or AWD is pretty valuable here to deal with snow.

But for towing to boondocking sites that can be far from pavement, my 4WD has another advantage. It has an "Auto-4WD" setting, that behaves much like AWD. It kicks in only when needed.

When is is needed? When climbing hills on washboard roads, it's a lifesaver. Washboard causes axle hop and tramp. When towing a 6000# RV up a long hill on a marginally maintained dirt road, axle hop can get so bad that you spend half the time sideways and struggle to make headway. My automatic 4WD saves the day. The truck tracks straight and axle hop is minimized...and there's no danger of not making the hill. I have literally passed unladen 2WD drive trucks attempting to climb those hills...while towing my rig.

If you plan to boondock (dispersed camping) 4WD is worth it. If you're going to camp in RV parks and/or most National Forest campgrounds, etc., 2WD is all you need.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #32

One thing to consider that most don't is 4wd is something you will likely not have much need for but when you do it's less expensive then a tow bill. The price difference new is next to nothing the price difference used is massive. 2wd loose value way faster. Again it's up to your ultimate needs and wants, and budget. One thing I've never heard said was I have the 4x4 and wish I would have gotten a 2wd. I have heard I got this 2wd and wish I would have spent the extra few $'s and got 4wd.. just another way to look at it
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:19 PM   #33

I towed my old 5th wheel with a RQAM 2500 4X4. Only needed it once, but glad I had it.

New 5th wheel and I didn't think twice about going 4WD again.
crmillsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #34

Go with the 4WD

Just had a campground experience in May where 4 wheel drive was the only way I was getting in or out. A new campground to us, we didn't know what to expect. Had been raining all morning and first thing we encounter in the park is a steep grade that used to have gravel and probably no ruts at one time. Dropped into 4WD low lock and only slipped slightly once. We would not have made it up in the mud with the bunkhouse without the 4WD. You never know when you need it and by the time you do, it's too late.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Purchased a 2021 Jay Flight 145RB in 09/2020. We were tent campers, so the 145RB is a good beginner TT for us. Currently our TV is a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan with Dodge tow package and Fastway e2 WDH with sway control (round bars).

We've taken the TT on 3 trips never more than 100 miles from home. The Dodge seems to be doing a fine job pulling the trailer, but it makes me a bit nervous and I don't want to travel further. So, what fun is having a new TT and staying close to home? We want to travel further and on longer trips.

We are currently shopping for a new truck. I'm leaning towards a 2WD over a 4WD. My thinking is a 2WD will add payload, add tow capacity and lower the price of the truck.

Any thoughts on this. 2WD or 4WD?

We're newbies (wife and I) in the TT world and any advice you have would be great.

Thanks.
I'd personally go for the 4WD for reasons stated by others. You never know when you may encounter mud, sand or loose gravel. That being said, typically most 4WD vehicles can be driven in 2WD rear wheel drive as the drive train is selectable from 2 WD to Auto to 4WD. You should avoid towing on paved highways in 4WD unless your in snow. Driving on pavement in 4WD at highway speeds is very hard on the front drive train. Also even a low speed in 4WD say in a parking lot you will feel a lot of grab and slip coming from the front drive train. With the TT you have i'd consider a half ton (F150 Ford or the 1500 series from GM or Dodge) as fully capable to haul your load. That being said iI'd also be looking for a gear ratio around 3:73. Taller gear ratios like 3:23 or 3:42 will give you better fuel economy but will suck on steep grades or say travelling in mountainous regions. Good luck Cheers, Rick
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #36

For 40 years I towed with a full size GM V8, full perimeter frame RWD. Never had an issue. When it was time to retire the old girl I switched to a 2WD FWD SUV. It went OK. Never had an issue either.

When I went to replace the 2nd car I switched to another SUV, but this time an AWD.

At this stage I will NEVER own another car unless its All Wheel Drive, plus I won't let my wife drive anything else either. They are just that good.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #37

I have a Jayco SLX7 195RB and towed it with my Chevy Equinox 4WD until it recently needed a repair more than value

I bought a new 2021 Chevy Colorado 4WD WT with tow package and it's rated for 7000 lbs. Easily tows my travel trailer and gives me a lot of option if I ever upgrade to 5000lbs trailer range

I didn't want a huge truck so Chevy Colorado was nice compromise.

Allyson
AllysonG-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:37 PM   #38

I think 4WD.
Seen people with 2WD spinning tires just trying to level up.
Be safe out there!

2010 Eagle 256 RKS
2018 F150 SCREW Shortbed with 3.5L TT
From Cheyenne, Wyoming
Markomyt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #39

4x4 has been useful for me a couple of times towing the trailer. Even in nice campgrounds, sometime they can have rough spots. One we go to on a pond is very sandy and there is an uphill section I’ve dropped it into 4 hi before on. Also, some sites are not ‘ideal’, if there’s a steep approach and you’re backing in, w all that weight you’re pushing sometimes u can spin. It can be managed, but dropping it into 4 wheel is easier.

So no you don’t need it but it will come in handier than you think.
shloubrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:52 PM   #40

Yup ... Btdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
My f250 4x4 gets stuck in wet grass if not locked in.

Got stuck in dew covered grass in the morning near Riviere du Loupe PQ, nothing says sad // humiliation can't go forward can't go back. Had to wait hours for the grass to dry. BTW this was a flat grassed area and I had Posi-Trac and good tires. NEVER AGAIN - 4 WD - cause you don't need it until YOU NEED IT!

XMEDIC73 is offline   Reply With Quote