Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #41

My wife and I have a 145RB Baja and tow with a Kia Sorento, V-6. It has 4W drive if needed, but generally we tow with 2W, front drive. It does very well pulling the trailer, but the fuel tank is small and mileage drops to 10-12 mpg so I can't get far before needing to refuel. I would like to upgrade to a Telluride, but the Sorento gives such a good ride and I own it outright so I think it will be with us for awhile.
old gray dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #42

I would go 4WD and I would go at least one size ( 1500, 2500, 3500) than you think you need.
KHabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #43

You didn't mention where you live. It looks like the upper midwest. The vast majority of RVers use their truck occasionally to tow but most frequently as a daily driver. Optimizing it for those infrequent tows may not be a good way to go. If you live in snow country, 4WD is very nice to have.

As for tow capacity, the camper you're looking at is tiny. Almost anything will tow that thing, 4WD or not. The gross weight is under 3000 lbs. Heck, I can only think of a couple of cars that won't handle that. Going for a tow vehicle that leaves you room to grow isn't a bad idea but if you have plans to go for bigger RV in the near future maybe getting a new camper now is not wise.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #44

My only suggestion is Buy a long wheelbase or extra cab truck...... My short bed single cab had tons of sway when a truck would pass from behind ...... Upgraded to a extra cab and all sway was gone .... Love our Jayco 185
SAMM Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #45

Lots of people here saying if you don't go off road, you don't need the 4x4. Thing is, off road can just be the campsite. We had that happen to us. Roads in the park were paved, but the campsites were dirt. It rained & the campsite was muddy. Trying to leave in 2 wheel drive & we were just spinning the tires. Switched to 4x4 and got out just fine. Ya don't need it until ya need it. Then you're mighty glad ya have it.
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCarter View Post
You didn't mention where you live. It looks like the upper midwest. The vast majority of RVers use their truck occasionally to tow but most frequently as a daily driver. Optimizing it for those infrequent tows may not be a good way to go. If you live in snow country, 4WD is very nice to have.

As for tow capacity, the camper you're looking at is tiny. Almost anything will tow that thing, 4WD or not. The gross weight is under 3000 lbs. Heck, I can only think of a couple of cars that won't handle that. Going for a tow vehicle that leaves you room to grow isn't a bad idea but if you have plans to go for bigger RV in the near future maybe getting a new camper now is not wise.
I live in northern Illinois an hour NW of Chicago. My daily driver is a 2020 Mazda CX30 AWD and my wife drives the 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan (our TV). I'm retired so if there's snow my wife drives the Mazda to work.

Our 145RB factory weight with full propane and battery is 2608 lbs (from yellow sticker on trailer). The Dodge Grand Caravan pulls the TT just fine. We do have a WD hitch and anti sway bars. It's just the two of us and we pack light...usually camp locally (100 miles) for one night.

Next year we want to start venturing out further from home and for several days at a time. We're newbies and 2021 is for "getting used to/learning about" the trailer year.

Definitely want a new truck by next year.

Jay Flight SLX 7 145RB
scloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #47

Lots of great responses. Thanks everyone.

Jay Flight SLX 7 145RB
scloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #48
CAG

I am sure with three pages of responses this has been covered more than once but let me add: Never once did I regret having a 4WD tow vehicle. Wet grass when pulling in to a spot, uphill and a little snow or rain on the road pulling in or out. Then there is unhooking and doing some sight seeing and the weather turns bad, or is bad to start with. And, we back trail a bunch so I would never be without a 4WD anyway.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by scloyd View Post
Purchased a 2021 Jay Flight 145RB in 09/2020. We were tent campers, so the 145RB is a good beginner TT for us. Currently our TV is a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan with Dodge tow package and Fastway e2 WDH with sway control (round bars).

We've taken the TT on 3 trips never more than 100 miles from home. The Dodge seems to be doing a fine job pulling the trailer, but it makes me a bit nervous and I don't want to travel further. So, what fun is having a new TT and staying close to home? We want to travel further and on longer trips.

We are currently shopping for a new truck. I'm leaning towards a 2WD over a 4WD. My thinking is a 2WD will add payload, add tow capacity and lower the price of the truck.

Any thoughts on this. 2WD or 4WD?

We're newbies (wife and I) in the TT world and any advice you have would be great.

Thanks.
The ram TRX would make a good tow vehicle with 700 hp. I remember when I towed a tent trailer with my Ramcharger with the 440 it was fun getting away from stop lights before other cars and if the car was fast I would put it into 4 low and floor it and then shift into 4 high. I first tried pulling it with my Dodge Colt with the 8 speed stick but the front tires were always spinning. I remember Brown county Indiana when I pulled into a campground after a rain and everything started to sink, I floored it and just able to get out with the camper. If I didn't have the 4 wheel drive and horsepower I never would have got out. Remember 4 wheel drive is one wheel in the rear and one in the front unless you get posi in the rear that's 3 wheel drive unless you get posi front and rear and get real 4 wheel drive
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by scloyd View Post
Lots of great responses. Thanks everyone.
My two cents for what it's worth-- We have a 212QB that we were towing with a 2019 RAM V6 4WD with the tow package rated for 7300 max towing. It did a adequate job however on our 7000 mile trip out west it strained a bit climbing up through the mountainous states. We last week picked up a 2021 RAM 4WD Quad Cab with the V8 and the tow package. Payload is 1711 and max towing 8500. I also opted for the Off Road group that included among other things LT tires. Good luck enjoy the great outdoors!
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:40 PM   #51

Honda Ridgeline

I tow with Honda Ridgeline.AWD Tow capacity 5000. Suggest you drive one of these before you decide.
Hpatrickw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:53 PM   #52

5000 tow capacity isn't much in this day and age! Nothing wrong with it as long as one sticks with a smaller trailer but if one should want something larger, better to have enough truck to move than have to buy again.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:56 PM   #53

I have needed 4wd exactly 1 time in the last 25 years. If you go 2wd, for sure get the locking differential. Our new TV is 2wd as was our old one. The choice is yours. Please remember that in snow for example, the 4wd doesn’t stop any better! Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:24 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post

When is is needed? When climbing hills on washboard roads, it's a lifesaver. Washboard causes axle hop and tramp. When towing a 6000# RV up a long hill on a marginally maintained dirt road, axle hop can get so bad that you spend half the time sideways and struggle to make headway. My automatic 4WD saves the day. The truck tracks straight and axle hop is minimized...and there's no danger of not making the hill. I have literally passed unladen 2WD drive trucks attempting to climb those hills...while towing my rig.
Interesting.. My GMC Canyon hops like a rabbit on our camp road. We can only afford a yearly grading so it is what it is. I have not had to use 4 wd on it ( yet-got the truck after mud season) I don't know how much 4 wd will tamp the hop as the truck seems to land a foot to the side.. It spends a part of a second totally airborne.

With the added weight of the tongue the truck is a lamb on the same road no hop even in 2wd.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:53 PM   #55

I tow with a 2WD Dually, we go into the backcountry regularly. When I regeared the truck I added a TruTrac, that made a huge difference on my confidence in the truck especially if the weather turned. We live in the Rockies so snow in July is a real possibility. I also carry chains for the worst case scenario…

If you live in the snow belt I would definitely look at 4WD, simply for DD in winter. However, keep in mind that 4x4 only means 1 wheel gets traction in the rear and 1 in the front. Unless you have a limited slip option. The new vehicles have incredible traction control systems even the 2WD compared to a 20 year old vehicle.

This time of year I wouldn’t hesitate to go anywhere with a 2WD tow rig…
Old 07-20-2021, 09:20 PM   #56

Bingo! Everything jimmoore13 said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
My 2006 RAM 1500 is 4WD. We live in the Rockies, so 4WD or AWD is pretty valuable here to deal with snow.

But for towing to boondocking sites that can be far from pavement, my 4WD has another advantage. It has an "Auto-4WD" setting, that behaves much like AWD. It kicks in only when needed.

When is is needed? When climbing hills on washboard roads, it's a lifesaver. Washboard causes axle hop and tramp. When towing a 6000# RV up a long hill on a marginally maintained dirt road, axle hop can get so bad that you spend half the time sideways and struggle to make headway. My automatic 4WD saves the day. The truck tracks straight and axle hop is minimized...and there's no danger of not making the hill. I have literally passed unladen 2WD drive trucks attempting to climb those hills...while towing my rig.

If you plan to boondock (dispersed camping) 4WD is worth it. If you're going to camp in RV parks and/or most National Forest campgrounds, etc., 2WD is all you need.
My thoughts exactly!

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:47 AM   #57

I opted for the "off road" package on my 21 RAM which allows me to lock the rear axel. That package also includes LT tires which make a huge difference stability wise over "P" tires. Having 4WD here south of Buffalo, Lake effect snow country, is a must.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I live in the next county east of you and I'm telling you to get the 4WD.

I work in the auto industry. You will really suffer when trading a 2WD vehicle in where we live. It will cost you way more in lost value than it will to just pay the extra up front.

It snows where we live, sometimes during the camping season. I don't camp in the winter either, but I do have to take the trailer to the dealer for warranty and preventative maintenance that I can't (or won't) do myself and I always do that in the late Fall after the camping season is over. There is usually snow on the ground when I pick it up.

I have taken the TT down to Florida for Spring break and sometimes the weather in NE Illinois is not the best on the way down or back.

But honestly I've used my 4WD to get out of a muddy campsite more often than I have in the snow.

Again, I strongly recommend you get the 4WD. You are spending tens of thousands on a trailer and a truck--don't cheap out now!
100 percent agree. It's interesting to see the views from the different parts of North America. I'm in the industry as well and in 20 years have maybe sold a handful of 2wds.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
My two cents for what it's worth-- We have a 212QB that we were towing with a 2019 RAM V6 4WD with the tow package rated for 7300 max towing. It did a adequate job however on our 7000 mile trip out west it strained a bit climbing up through the mountainous states. We last week picked up a 2021 RAM 4WD Quad Cab with the V8 and the tow package. Payload is 1711 and max towing 8500. I also opted for the Off Road group that included among other things LT tires. Good luck enjoy the great outdoors!
Same trailer. My old v8 F150 had about the same specs. Now I have a 2021 with 3.5L. The low end torque is amazing. Max tow is 11,400.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:13 PM   #60

We never owned a 4x4 until 2000. We started in 1974 and pulled with cars and trucks. We had pop up, trailers and 5 wheel. 2 wheel drive was fine. But we camp in campgrounds with stone and black top. We were not off road like people today. Rv lifestyle has changed and people go more places. They need four wheel drive for my wife and I no!
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote