Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2021, 08:03 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
We never owned a 4x4 until 2000. We started in 1974 and pulled with cars and trucks. We had pop up, trailers and 5 wheel. 2 wheel drive was fine. But we camp in campgrounds with stone and black top. We were not off road like people today. Rv lifestyle has changed and people go more places. They need four wheel drive for my wife and I no!
Kinda depends on your daily drive too
For 45 years our house was on all paved roads
Now we live in the woods on a lake and a road grader is essential
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:42 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Same trailer. My old v8 F150 had about the same specs. Now I have a 2021 with 3.5L. The low end torque is amazing. Max tow is 11,400.
Our next RV will be a class C probably in 2023 and then we'll flat tow the RAM. More than likely a Greyhawk?
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:57 AM   #63

Depending on the truck(half ton or mid-sized) 2wd may not actually get you all that much payload capacity. I know on the F150's that the 2WD's usually also have a reduced GVWR(6750 vs 7000 I believe) so it tends to come out in the wash. You might gain 50 lbs of payload. This is not a universal law but you need to pay close attention and check the door stickers as it may be very close.

On the HD trucks I think they tend to keep the same GVWR so you do pick up the extra payload.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:51 AM   #64

When we started pulling 4x4 we’re not around much. In the 1980’s everyone had to have one. People thought all four tires worked at the same time! No one knew what 4low was for. Then the trucks went with full time four wheel drive. This was easy to use but it would fail and use more gas. The trucks are getting lighter and cheaper to make.
Our 2020 Ford Explorer is wonderful you can shift on the fly. After replacing 4x4 parts for years I am spoiled with this car.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:41 AM   #65

Yeah, I remember when you had to get out and turn the hubs to put it in 4-lo.

With all of that being activated from inside the cab on modern 4x4s, it's MUCH more convenient. Plus you run less risk of tearing something up; if the parameters for the shift aren't right, it often won't let you shift.

I use the "Auto" function on DW's Tahoe when pulling our boat out of the water. It's really a version of all-wheel-drive, or 4-hi, but it's great for pulling the boat up a slippery ramp. Using that, and two-footed driving, I've never slipped a tire on a ramp.

For my Jeep, I typically run it in 4-hi riding the goat trails out at the deer lease. It's super easy and convenient shifting on-the-fly. I just make sure the drive-train isn't "loaded", and pull smartly back on the lever, and I'm good to go. Every now and again, 4-lo is needed, and it's pretty easy too.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #66

Vacuum auto hubs, axle disconnects, t case servo motors all fail. I luv my manuall hubs and and floor shifter that moves actual linkage. P.S. real trucks don't have spark plugs.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
When we started pulling 4x4 we’re not around much. In the 1980’s everyone had to have one. People thought all four tires worked at the same time! No one knew what 4low was for. Then the trucks went with full time four wheel drive. This was easy to use but it would fail and use more gas. The trucks are getting lighter and cheaper to make.
Our 2020 Ford Explorer is wonderful you can shift on the fly. After replacing 4x4 parts for years I am spoiled with this car.
My RAM has AWD or 4WD both selectable on the fly. The 4WD low and the rear axel lock can only be done while stopped.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #68

In all the years I have owed a 4x4 we have never used it. We have gone from the east coast to the west coast and also all over the north west coast. Canada was mice also. We owned a 2005 F350 Diesel 4x4 and we used 4x5 to pull stumps that was it. Growing up on a farm we never had four wheel drive. We would be in mud snow and driving across a creek. I feel we never got our money back foe the added expense. Our 1998 Dodge 318 c.I. Non four wheel was the best truck pulling a 33’ trailer we owned. Roll up windows no carpet just rubber mats am fm radio that was it. Today I am spoiled and soft!
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote