Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #1

5th wheel hitch to Goose neck?

Presently have a standard slider 5th wheel hitch in a short bed Ram. Was thinking of converting to a goose neck type hitch to get my truck bed back. I am assuming that a goose neck does not have the "slider" capabilities, so will lose some of my turn angle. Even though I have never used the slider ...yet anyway.

Has anyone made the change I am thinking of? Anyone using a goose neck now in a s/b?

Thanks.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #2

Well, I don't have any experience with a goose neck hitch. I have heard of concerns about extra stress on the frame caused by the lever arm length of the goose neck hitch.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmitty View Post
Presently have a standard slider 5th wheel hitch in a short bed Ram. Was thinking of converting to a goose neck type hitch to get my truck bed back. I am assuming that a goose neck does not have the "slider" capabilities, so will lose some of my turn angle. Even though I have never used the slider ...yet anyway.

Has anyone made the change I am thinking of? Anyone using a goose neck now in a s/b?

Thanks.
Most rv manufacturers will void the warranty on the trailer if used with a gooseneck hitch- The additional leverage of the gooseneck multiplies the stress on the trailer frame- JMHO- DD
Old 08-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #4

dont worry about warranty.I had my gooseneck added by my Jayco dealer when i bought my 321rlts.
I have a real truck bed,8ft,,so I dont know about your clearance but there are some adapters that have an offset at the ball and have seen one that offsets high.
I wouldnt go to a regular 5th wheel hitch but each to his own.I have the old style "flip over ball" since my truck is 03 but next one will have the "turn over ball" that takes no space in the bed and if later you dont like gooseneck there are 5er hitchs that drop in the hole.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #5

The gooseneck hitch is like a long lever and it will stress the frame under the bedroom. Dealers will sell you just about anything you want. Ask the dealer if he will be responsible if anything should go wrong because the factory won't cover it.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #6

I have a Dodge Ram with a 6'4'' bed with a gooseneck hitch on my Eagle 351 SKTS. I opted for the 9" offset adapter and that gave me all the clearance I needed. The pin box is a little long and would contact the truck bed side rails so I adjusted the height up another couple inches and that did the trick. I have a moreride cushioned pin box and I found out later they do not recommend gooseneck adaptors. Not sure why.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #7

If you look at a trailer that is specifically designed for a gooseneck hitch, you will notice that the frame structure is substantial, and required to transfer the extreme lateral loading, sometimes as large as 12-inch I-beams. A fifth wheel RV simply is not designed to handle that loading. Notice that a horse trailer does not have living quarters in the forward area of the trailer.

My local dealer tried to push a used fifth wherl on me that had a gooseneck adapter installed. I now question the integrity of the dealer as I suspect potentially hidden structural damage in that unit. Worst part was, the dealers selling price for a three year old unit was just about MSRP for the same unit when originally sold new.

Cheers.
javankrona is offline   Reply With Quote