Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #1

5th wheel set up

Hello. Been lurking around the site now for a couple of weeks. Presently own a Passport Elite 23RB that we tow with a 2013 Ram 1500. Went to the Toronto show a couple of weeks back and made the mistake of having a look inside a 28.5 RSTS. Both my wife and I had an ahhhh moment. Considering spending a chunk of the kids inheritance on a new 2500 Cummings and the new 5th wheel. I work for a Chrysler store so it is a no brainer as to what I will purchase. Considered the 3500 for the little extra in price but I'm not doing the yearly safety check. My question to the group is what is involved in equipping a new truck with the tow set up? The truck will be ordered with the 5th wheel prep package. Other than that I know nothing. In the different posts I've read about different pin boxes available and makes of 5th wheel hitches. Please educate a novice so I only have to do this once. Thank you. Dave
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #2

I've gone through more than my fair share of equipment changes. I've always found hitches easiest. Hitch City may be an option for you if you went to the Toronto RV show. They sell the hitch, installed, and will make sure you know how to remove and adjust it as needed. Give them a call and you may find it's worth the price of an install. Tinkering with the RV to modify something (outside of the city) is a form of downtime for me. Tinkering with the car in my drive or garage isn't so interesting for me.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #3

Welcome!

We had a 2500, and now the 3500, both with the factory fifth wheel prep package. I had to purchase a “picture frame” that attaches to the bed pucks, and then the hitch attaches to the “picture frame”. Our prior 5er was an Eagle and I found that I did not need a slider hitch with the standard bed truck. When moving to the 3500 I went long bed because I didn’t want to have to mess with a slider.

I run a Reese Pro Series 20k hitch and have been very happy with it.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #4

I'm on my 2nd 1T truck and have never done the yellow sticker annual cert. That's for if you are hauling commercially. At least based on what I was told by MTO but every one of them you ask has a different view of the regs and the web site doesn't make it easier to figure it out. When towing an RV the rules are different than a comm'l trailer. If you go big then the 11,000kg G license limit comes into play though. The Chev 3500 rides like a 2500 as the top spring isn't engaged, the dually rode like a buckboard on steel wheels.

I kept the Reese Elite 25k when I traded the dually and installed the Reese underbed kit on the Chev. Easy job, hardest part is measuring 15 times before cutting four big holes in the bed.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #5

5th wheel set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I'm on my 2nd 1T truck and have never done the yellow sticker annual cert. That's for if you are hauling commercially. At least based on what I was told by MTO but every one of them you ask has a different view of the regs and the web site doesn't make it easier to figure it out. When towing an RV the rules are different than a comm'l trailer. If you go big then the 11,000kg G license limit comes into play though. ...

I assumed there was commercial use or I would have made the same comment. One ton personal use only, Insured as same and no annuals. I did have to go the restricted A because of the GCWR. The restricted A is pretty quick and cheap compared to the full A. To do commercial restrictions I’d have capped at a 3/4 ton too.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #6

If you can get the 9900lbs gvwr on the truck as an option (I know Ford has it) you can get away with cheaper registration.

>9900lbs = $120/yr registration

Over 9900lbs = $180/yr registration

In Ontario.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
If you can get the 9900lbs gvwr on the truck as an option (I know Ford has it) you can get away with cheaper registration.

>9900lbs = $120/yr registration

Over 9900lbs = $180/yr registration

In Ontario.
You can declare the GVWR to be whatever you want when you register. Just has to be enough that you're not overweight when not hauling the 5th. Mine is licensed @ 4499kg, the door sticker has 5216kg for the GVWR.

3/4 or 1T makes no difference for yellow sticker, both need it if hauling enough weight for comm'l purposes. Again, all based on what I've been told as MTO is terrible with their info.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote