Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2017, 12:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I have guy at work that says after he gets to his destination its bad to just shut it right off. That's a whole new discussion

Yeah, I let mine purr for about 30 seconds.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
snip...
I have guy at work that says after he gets to his destination its bad to just shut [the diesel] right off. That's a whole new discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Yeah, I let mine purr for about 30 seconds.
If I've been towing or cruising at highway speeds for long a long time (an hour or two) not towing, I let it idle at least 3 to 5 minutes to cool down the turbo before shutting it off. A very hot turbo can cause oil 'coking'.

If I've been cruising on the highway for long periods at low boost pressures (not towing), I drop my speed down about 10mph and then go to wide open throttle until I'm a bit over the speed limit. This 'exercises' the variable vane turbo to clear soot etc. for smoother operation. (BTW: I do this before I reach my exit and when the traffic allows it.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:44 AM   #23

To the op. I am trading my Ram 2500 6.4 hemi 4.10 gears in on a ordered ford 6.2 gasser with 4.30 gears. I know where there will be a clean 2 years old loaded tradesman when mine goes to the ford dealer! Lol. I don't really care for Rams 66rfe transmission. The 8 speed is far better in the 1/2 ton Rams from what I have read. The ford and Chevy gas platforms out perform the Ram hd gas platforms IMO.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhepper View Post
I have a 2014 Ram Outdoorsman Hemi 6'4" w/3.92. Also have a 2012 Jayco 29QBH travel trailer. Over GVWR as well as RGAWR by 80-100lbs once loaded. Contemplating a HD truck. Go 5-7 times a summer with furthest distances in the 120-130 mile range (one way) at no more than 60mph. It is my daily driver (currently have 24k miles) with very short trips during the day. Probably 2-3 mile trips, 4-5 times per day at most.

Was originally going to wait for a 6.4l Hemi config to show up used due to the short trips but they are proving hard to find much less with a bench seat.

There is a 2016 w/~52k miles and 6.7L Cummins configured much like how I would want the rest of the truck to be in my price range so have considered the diesel. I also may be getting a car to drive when not pulling or needing the truck but don't know for sure.

Current truck ratings:
GCWR is 15,600
GVWR is 6,900
F&R GAWR are 3,900lb ea

The scales slips I have are loaded truck ready to camp. Truck with very top chain loop engaged on WDH and Truck with WDH engaged to second loop. When using the 2nd loop from the top the bars do start to bend (1000lb rating).

Should I forgo the diesel and wait for a 6.4L? Get the diesel but only if getting a car to daily with? Say screw it get the diesel? Or keep my truck and say screw GVWR and GAWR?
Didn't read all of the replies to your thread as I'm currently sanitizing my water system for a trip this weekend (I have algae growing in my hot water tank --

Anyway, on the diesel vs/ Gas topic. You can see which direction I went in my sig. I factory ordered my truck because nobody had exactly what I wanted. So that part took about 3 months... not bad. My rebates went up, the money I owed on my trade went down... I 'saved' about 3500 dollars by factory ordering.

Back to the point. The 2017 6.2 motor is amazing. The diesel will always pull more, easier. BUT, as a dual role daily driver (in town traffic) + being able to tow whatever I want, the gas motor was the only choice for us.

It's almost 9K now to upgrade to the diesel, I spent that money elsewhere on the truck. Mine would have been about 75K with the diesel, and I'm already paying 1200+ dollars a year just to put tags on this truck. In my state, the diesel would have added at least 300 a year to registration fees, more expensive fuel and maintenance. Sure, they probably do go a million miles... but not important for me... resale is also higher, but once you factor in ALL of the opportunity costs to go Diesel, I doubt you break even with the money. Nobody has ever proven otherwise.

Get the diesel if you want and you can justify the cost. That's really the main factor. These new gas motors tow as well as my diesel did 12 years ago. You'll lose some payload capacity and your costs will be higher, but only you know what your budget can justify. You either need it, or you want it. Usually not both. If you do go diesel, make sure you go with the 350 so you don't kill your payload numbers with that heavy motor.

If you go gas, definitely get the 4.30 gears too. Really, the only choice I would recommend against, is a 250 with that seriously heavy diesel motor. Most of us are upgrading trucks for payload, not 'pulling power'.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #25

As a person who had to replace a turbo on a diesel I would vote for a gasser in this case. I almost got a gasser to replace my diesel since the truck is my daily driver.

The above stated comments on diesel driving are correct. It takes a while for a diesel, especially the turbocharger, to get up to operating temperature. If you drive a couple miles, stop, drive a couple more, stop, or idle at stop lights a lot, then you are shortening the life of your diesel.

Gassers get up to temp faster and are basically designed for stop and go traffic.

THe newer diesels may have fixed the soot control issue, but, they still take a lot longer to get up to temp.

Cool down. Yes. Read the owners manual. My Dodge manual has a chart about cool down times for the turbo. When towing in hills it is 5min. When in town unloaded it is just seconds. This cool down is to keep the oil in the bearings cool (they are water cooled). If the turbo is at peak operating temp and you shut down, the coolant flow stops and the heat in the exhaust section of the turbo cooks the oil in the bearings. This leaves a hard deposit that will build up and destroy the bearings.

Gasser turbos are smaller and do not 'hold' as much heat at the big diesel turbos. Some are designed to keep coolant flowing even after you stop the engine.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #26

On my Ford 6.7 when I'm ready to shut it down, I scroll to "gauge mode" and check the oil temp there. Will only shut it down if the oil temp is 195* or under. If I've been running hard and need to stop for fuel there have been many times when I've refueled with the engine running.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote