Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 67
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwstewar View Post
Maybe I shouldn't tell you that I tow a 2009 32BHDS with a '99 Silverado 1500
Maybe you should know that my 2001 Yukon XL with a 8.1 and 4.10 tows a 32BHDS great, and is looking for a new camping family to adopt.
__________________

Dadof4Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Central Ohio
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadof4Girls View Post
Maybe you should know that my 2001 Yukon XL with a 8.1 and 4.10 tows a 32BHDS great, and is looking for a new camping family to adopt.
:hihi: As soon as our current Suburban is paid for, I'm going to look at getting a new 3500 D/A. If things would have worked out like we planned, the new truck would have happened in early 2010 - only towing the camper a few times in '09, but alas, the best laid plans.
__________________

jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Central Ohio
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2500hd View Post
Well.....how does it do?
To be honest with you, it doesn't do that bad. It isn't great by any stretch, but it does the job. I mean, it did a much better job towing our old 28' camper that didn't have any slides.

I've had a couple of situations where I've "run out of power." Gotta remember this is only a 5.3 w/ 3.73 gears and only the 4 speed transmission. One of those was this past fall. We were loaded especially heavy. Fresh water tank was full, black tank about 1/2 full, and grey tank probably 1/3 full. The time before when we were out there was a line at the dumpstation and I didn't feel like waiting know we were going out again a week later. I also had a water tank in the bed of the truck w/ 35 gallons in it and it was fall, so it was going to be cold. I had lots of firewood in the bed of the truck. Only took 3 bikes though instead of the normal 5. Had a fair amount of food & drinks in it as well because we had just been out and were stocked well because we were "group" camping then and didn't know what we would need. Also lots of heavier coats & blankets because of the cold weather. 5 of us in the cab of the truck. I was headed to Hocking Hills in SE Ohio. There was one hill that had a sharp turn at the bottom, I couldn't get over 20 MPH going up the hill and that was with the pedal to the floor. We were probably loaded heavier for that trip than we ever have.

Normally though it does fine. Loaded light I can run 65 - 70 with it w/ any issue, normally I run between 55 & 60 - that is where everything feels really comfortable. Running between 55 & 60, I get about 9.8 MPGs, if I try to run it closer to 65-70, it drops to 9.

I run Reese 1200 LB WD system and no sway control. Using a Prodigy for a brake controller. When I put new tires on (now to be replaced again) I went with LT load range D tires - long before we had this camper. I also found a set of rear springs from a 2006 2500HD that I installed. That helped with the side to side movement I was feeling with the truck more than it did with the actual "squat" of the truck because the WD bars already took care of that.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
eric2500hd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Central PA
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwstewar View Post
To be honest with you, it doesn't do that bad. It isn't great by any stretch, but it does the job. I mean, it did a much better job towing our old 28' camper that didn't have any slides.

I've had a couple of situations where I've "run out of power." Gotta remember this is only a 5.3 w/ 3.73 gears and only the 4 speed transmission. One of those was this past fall. We were loaded especially heavy. Fresh water tank was full, black tank about 1/2 full, and grey tank probably 1/3 full. The time before when we were out there was a line at the dumpstation and I didn't feel like waiting know we were going out again a week later. I also had a water tank in the bed of the truck w/ 35 gallons in it and it was fall, so it was going to be cold. I had lots of firewood in the bed of the truck. Only took 3 bikes though instead of the normal 5. Had a fair amount of food & drinks in it as well because we had just been out and were stocked well because we were "group" camping then and didn't know what we would need. Also lots of heavier coats & blankets because of the cold weather. 5 of us in the cab of the truck. I was headed to Hocking Hills in SE Ohio. There was one hill that had a sharp turn at the bottom, I couldn't get over 20 MPH going up the hill and that was with the pedal to the floor. We were probably loaded heavier for that trip than we ever have.

Normally though it does fine. Loaded light I can run 65 - 70 with it w/ any issue, normally I run between 55 & 60 - that is where everything feels really comfortable. Running between 55 & 60, I get about 9.8 MPGs, if I try to run it closer to 65-70, it drops to 9.

I run Reese 1200 LB WD system and no sway control. Using a Prodigy for a brake controller. When I put new tires on (now to be replaced again) I went with LT load range D tires - long before we had this camper. I also found a set of rear springs from a 2006 2500HD that I installed. That helped with the side to side movement I was feeling with the truck more than it did with the actual "squat" of the truck because the WD bars already took care of that.
Thanks for the write up. That gives me some good info on how my truck should perform.
__________________
TV - 2011 Chevy 2500hd CC SB 4x4 6.0l
TT- 2012 Jay Flight 32bhds- Elite, Thermal, Technology, Hide a Bed, Outdoor Kitchen, Ladder, Power Awning
eric2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #35
Member
 
matt1946's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Williamstown NJ
Posts: 48
I tow a 2012 30.5 RLS with a 2008 silverado 2500 HD with 3.73 gears 6 speed tranny & get 10.6 MPG. also have plenty of power in hilly areas.
__________________
2012 Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2008 Silverado HD LTZ 6.0\Tow Package 3.79 Rear
16,000 lb Pull-Rite Slider
matt1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
robo59097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Posts: 195
Wasn't the 8.1L only available in the 2500 Yukon XL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadof4Girls View Post
Maybe you should know that my 2001 Yukon XL with a 8.1 and 4.10 tows a 32BHDS great, and is looking for a new camping family to adopt.
__________________
2010 Jay Flight 28BHS
2007 Yukon XL 2500 6.0L 4X4
Equal-I-zer Hitch
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
drfife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo59097 View Post
Wasn't the 8.1L only available in the 2500 Yukon XL?
You could get an 8.1 ltr engine (RPO code L18) in GM 2500 and 3500 trucks from 2001-2007 and 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL's from 2001-2006.
__________________
Russell
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 56
I towed ours up the PA turnpike and down the Blue Ridge Parkway with no problems with power, or braking. It'll run some pretty good rpm's if your really calling on it, but I've never had a problem with it not being able to maintain a good speed going up hill. The blue ridge parkway had some pretty steep areas, but the speed limit was only 35, so that wasn't a problem. I used the trans as a brake and never had to work the brakes too hard either. I'm surprised that the rating of your tv is that low, but if it's like my truck, you'll be fine. Just a note.. I only get about 8 mpg, which equates to a little over 200 mile fuel range, which is my only complaint. I wish I had a larger fuel tank. Overall, I think you'll be happy, just dial in your WDH and enjoy!
__________________
2011 Jay Filght G2 32BHDS
2008 Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.0L
Reese DC, Prodigy controller
rescuebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
JAMMFAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 147
Eric2500HD, don't overlook Husley Centerline WDH. Not as expensive as Reece or Hensley but definatley a very good WDH with active anti-sway double cam system. I picked up mine for around $750.
__________________
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3/ 3.73 Tekonsha Primus brake controller
2011 JayFeather Select 29L
Husky Centerline WDH
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
eric2500hd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Central PA
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuebub View Post
I towed ours up the PA turnpike and down the Blue Ridge Parkway with no problems with power, or braking. It'll run some pretty good rpm's if your really calling on it, but I've never had a problem with it not being able to maintain a good speed going up hill. The blue ridge parkway had some pretty steep areas, but the speed limit was only 35, so that wasn't a problem. I used the trans as a brake and never had to work the brakes too hard either. I'm surprised that the rating of your tv is that low, but if it's like my truck, you'll be fine. Just a note.. I only get about 8 mpg, which equates to a little over 200 mile fuel range, which is my only complaint. I wish I had a larger fuel tank. Overall, I think you'll be happy, just dial in your WDH and enjoy!
Thanks for the review. If your truck has the 3.73 gear like mine then I was happy to hear you pulled in PA fine and the Blue Ridge Parkway. I know the BRP is very hilly and lots of turns. I know my fuel mileage will stink but that isn't why a bought a 2500hd for. How big is your fuel tank. Mine is 36 gallons so if I get 8 mpg I will be able to get 250 miles or so. I am suprised my tow rating is at 9400 too but that is what I seem to find. If I had the 4.10 gear it would jump to 13,000.
__________________

__________________
TV - 2011 Chevy 2500hd CC SB 4x4 6.0l
TT- 2012 Jay Flight 32bhds- Elite, Thermal, Technology, Hide a Bed, Outdoor Kitchen, Ladder, Power Awning
eric2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.