Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2014, 03:10 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Kathleen,

We appreciate greatly your follow-up and the detailed information provided. The information will be a great reference for others to consider when evaluating their own Acura MDX towing needs.

Travel safe and enjoy your X20E

Bob
Thanks yourself. I learned a lot during this exercise. Everything will be easier with a bigger TV. Look for me to start a new thread in a few months . . . something along the lines of "Which is better? A Tahoe or a Touareg?"

10K Equalizer; Teshonka P3
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #32

Kathleen, thanks for sharing your story. We have an x20e and you are doing the right research to ensure that you have a safe towing setup. Something we should have done before buying ours!

Good luck with your x20e, hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours!

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
Kathleen, thanks for sharing your story. We have an x20e and you are doing the right research to ensure that you have a safe towing setup. Something we should have done before buying ours!

Good luck with your x20e, hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours!
Thanks. We think that we have a much better understanding of the issues and we are respectful of the pitfalls/dangers.

Just for fun, you need to tell me how you like your x20e. We had to order ours so will not have it for a few weeks. Can hardly wait.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:52 AM   #34

I have an mdx. Towed a 2013 x20e for about 1 year over 7000 miles.
Handled extremely well. Best towing trailer I ever had. I had a husky wdh. Tried to keep additional weight to a minimum. Did not have any issues. It is possible to re enforce the receiver so that the weight from the receiver to carried up through the vehicle. Search for articles from this expert, http://www.canamrv.ca/hitch-hints/
Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #35

wow! I am buying a 2013 x20e and would like to tow with my Toyota highlander and go from Disneyland to Disneyworld...hope to get the right set up. debating between Equalizer hitch or bit the bullet and get a premium hitch. My Toyota says can tow up to 5000 lbs
paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula View Post
wow! I am buying a 2013 x20e and would like to tow with my Toyota highlander and go from Disneyland to Disneyworld...hope to get the right set up. debating between Equalizer hitch or bit the bullet and get a premium hitch. My Toyota says can tow up to 5000 lbs
We tow the same TT with an Acura MDX that is rated at 5,000 lbs towing capacity. The MDX, however, is also of Unibody construction and it has an automatic Vehicle Stability Assist (VBA), both of which can influence towing.

We went with the Equalizer 10,000 (max) WDH. Partially because we plan to upgrade our TV and carry more weight within the next year or so, and partially because the WDH manufacture suggested it.

With our WDH setup, there is NO sway so the VSA cannot kick in - that solves one issue. We have towed thru 60 mph gusts without a problem.

The WDH also seems to distribute the weight evenly, which helps to offset the concerns of the unibody construction. The Acura regional director was helpful with this.

Now, the overarching issue is one of total weight and that can be a bit challenging. We are very careful in this regard but are still running close to the 5K limit.

Remember that you have two separate issues with your weight. The TT is rated at 5K max, but the TV is also limited to 5K, so you need to keep the TOTAL weight of the trailer PLUS the weight of the items and people in your TV below the 5K towing limit on of your Highlander. There are lots of posts that are more detailed in how to determine your overall weight.

We started by weighing the rig and usual contents, so we have a good idea of what works and what doesn't. We have also weighed all of the contents item by item so that we can switch them out. Once you get used to what it should look and feel like, you can pretty much judge by standing back and seeing if the TT and TV are in a straight line horizontally, and then ensuring that the space between your tires and wheel wells stays comparatively about the same from front to back axles.

We tow with empty tanks and go to great lengths in balancing out our load. We cannot carry all that we would like at any one time, but trade off. If we carry a bike, then the BBQ; and some outside camping stuff is set aside for another trip.

I learned a lot from the forums - everything but how to parallel park the darned thing. I dread the day someone posts our parking travails to YouTube.

Be sure to use your search function for more help on the Forum.

We love our x20e and are busily building memories. Good luck with yours, and remember to keep a good sense of humor.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #37

DW, Myself, Daughter and Abby the dog love our X20e. I'm pulling it with my Tacoma using the Equalizer 10K WDH and Prodigy3 Controller. Everything works and pulls great. I have pulled the TT with a Full Fresh Water Tank (Just to see how things handled), Full Propane tanks and Cargo Capacity. I had no problems at all, even when the Old TOM TOM took me on an Off road adventure with a drive up and huge Mountain on a dirt road. I darn near soiled myself looking at the climb ahead that looked to be at least a 70 - 80 degree elevation if not more, LOL but was very Happy when the Tacoma just did what it was built to do and simply climbed no problem. Having the Dual axles is indeed easier to manipulate when backing up I find than a single axle and the extra Breaking never hurts anyway.

As for the trailer itself. It's large enough to provide lots of comfy room inside and yet small enough to still fit into those tight campsites. I personally love standing at the doorway and pushing the buttons to extend the Awning and to activate the slide out. For me, the seating inside could be a bit more comfortable but I'm a large fella so it's only my complaint, the DW and Daughter have no problems getting Comfy inside the trailer.
The Bathroom...The Girls simply love having one. It's been great for us. We've learned how to use the storage in a way that works for us and since we don't cook inside the trailer, I just cut a piece of wood to go over the burners creating a tad bit more space for stuff. DW puts all the Pots/Pans inside the Oven so we treat it as another storage space. We took out the Jayco provided Table in favor of a couple of fold down plastic tables. The Jayco Table sucks, especially with the square tube legs that weigh a ton and a table top that wobbles like crazy. We never use it inside the trailer so it was a pain anyway to move it in/out all the time. I will cut a sheet of plywood to use instead as a bed when the time comes.

We just love it. Especially moving up from a PUP.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #38

Dagwood -

We both have the x20e; 10K Equalizer WDH; and P3 Controller, but I believe you have about 1,500 pounds more towing capacity than we presently have. Boy, would I ever have some fun with that.

Your wife and I are united in our reluctance to cook. I bought a great CAMCO cover for burners, but find that I could use a little more room when boondocking so that I can use the burners to heat water/food. Is this still considered cooking?

We, too, find the seating to be very uncomfortable and are looking at our options for having it "adjusted". On the other hand, Homer the Beagle thinks that everything about Trailer camping is GREAT. He just loves those bunk ends (aka "bear feeders").

My husband is 6'4" (plus) and he still fits great in either big bunk. Not so much on the sofa as it is somewhat shallow in the seating area. Like you, I could roll/unroll that awning 24/7. It is so smooth and fast. Just love it.

Would love to know more about your plans for tables. We usually end up with the big one either in front of the sofa or turned sideways at the dinette. We always use the front bunk, so we turn the table sideways and closer to the door side; and move the seat/ottoman/storage thingee to the sofa area. This gives us (and Homer) clear access to the front bunk AND with my feet on the ottoman, I don't slide off the sofa.

Please post pics of what you are doing with the tables. For the record, we find that the dinette bed does not work for adults. Just fine, however, for smaller kids, and makes a nice big comfy area for movie nights.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #39

Ya, even with the extra Tow capacity, I really would not go much heavier on a TT. It does allow us a few options in terms of carrying Fresh Water or not. Just take it easy with your TV and don't race to get anywhere. I'm starting to think about something bigger already but moreso for the fact I know I'll upgrade the TT down the road, LOL. It's a trap I tell ya.

We use small 5ft resin tables. Here's a link, it's to a Canadian Site but it shows what we use. They come on sale for $25-30 Cdn all the time.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/li...l#.VNlJxfnF9HM

They fold up and we actually slide one of them in beside the couch and bench seat where the Water Pumped is housed when travelling. This is how we use them when setup. The Table beside the axles holds our Keurig, Toaster, Tupperware Container with Sugar/Salt/Pepper/Serviettes/Lighters etc, and the table more towards the outside is where we eat/drink/be merry
Of course they are super portable so you can move them anywhere and if they get wet, Who cares.

Actually now that I look at the photo, we have the Jayco table in this pic...but as mentioned, we put it in storage and just use two of the resin tables now.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:16 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula View Post
You won't get a lot of sway with the x20 due to the length height and its torsion suspension. I found that the husky was all I needed was able to hit 115 with no issues with my Acura . When I upgraded my tow vehicle to a truck I found that the Acura towed much better. Key things for a tv are firm suspension low centre of gravity lower profile tires . I was very disappointed after trading the Acura for a truck which led me to getting a blue ox wdh and it made a substantial difference on the truck. So does your tv have a long travel suspension and high profile tires of a truck? If so go for a better wdh

the husky wdh is usually on Costco website for under $300 where the blue ox is about $750. Of all the wdh on the market I found the blue ox is simple and effective.

Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote