Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #1

Added Sway Control, Yes or No

We have our WD dialed in pretty well, thanks to you guys on the JOF and the CAT Scale. Our set up: RAM 1500 long bed, 2016 Jay Feather 23RBM, and an Equalizer 10K (4 -point) WDH. So far we travel pretty smooth with minimal "sway" or detectable side to side movement. We are planning some trips out West "where the winds come sweeping off the Plains." We really do not want to run into trouble or feel uncomfortable on the trips.

Should we consider an additional (manual/mechanicall tongue mount) sway bar? Can we add a sway bar to the tongue if we are using the Equalizer, or is there a problem with that?

Should we consider the Hayes electronic sway, digital GPS device?

Thank You!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Does your ram have any sort of electronic sway control correction in it? I know our old F150 (2013 model) did as it activated once in a 40-50MPH straight wind, bigger trailer and we had an equalizer 12K at the time. Never had any other issues with the equalizer.

I would talk to equalizer about their thoughts on adding a second sway control device, not sure what issues it would cause if any but they are the engineering experts.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #3

IMO and experience, no added sway control needed. I have the same WDH (Equalizer 10K 4 -point) and have towed many larger and smaller TT with it in all kinds of conditions with never a sway issue, but I do have 'more truck' and load range E tires.

Another thing to do to combat sway is to inflate tires on your TV * and TT to the maximum shown on the tire sidewall. That stiffens the sidewalls and that reduces tire flex to reduce sway, reduce tire temperatures, and increase tire load capacity.

* Lowering the TV front tire pressure in the 5 to 10psi range reduces the harsh feel and often improves handling. My TV front tires are 5psi less than the rear tires.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #4

No - our Ram does not have electronic sway for a towable. It does for the truck's rear end, but not for the wheels and motion of a TT behind the truck. The Hayes system plugs into the TV's 7 point and uses GPS coordinates to modulate the TT's movement through brake control at the TT's wheels.

I will check with Equalizer on the mechanical tongue mounted sway bar addition. I do not think the Hayes would interfere with the Equalizer, but it does require drilling on the top angle/bend of the a-frame, not crazy about drilling there as is can compromise its strength/integrity - not likely, but could.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
IMO and experience, no added sway control needed. I have the same WDH (Equalizer 10K 4 -point) and have towed many larger and smaller TT with it in all kinds of conditions with never a sway issue, but I do have 'more truck' and load range E tires.

Another thing to do to combat sway is to inflate tires on your TV * and TT to the maximum shown on the tire sidewall. That stiffens the sidewalls and that reduces tire flex to reduce sway, reduce tire temperatures, and increase tire load capacity.

* Lowering the TV front tire pressure in the 5 to 10psi range reduces the harsh feel and often improves handling. My TV front tires are 5psi less than the rear tires.
Yes, on the psi - I do exactly the same, max the rear and a bit less on the front. You definitely have a lot more TV.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I have double sway control. I started out with single on this 31 ft. unit but in a 50 mi an hour wind I hardly could keep control even when I give the sway 2.5 turns. Now with double sway on 2.5 turns I managed to bring it home in the resent 65 mi an hour wind in Southern AB. And she was still bucking like a horse. At those times I wish I would have a one ton.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
snip..... I will check with Equalizer on the mechanical tongue mounted sway bar addition. .....snip
Look forward to their response...., curious if they feel it might interfere with the functionality of their integrated sway control.

IMO the Equal-i-zer WDH will provide a much higher degree of "friction resistance" when needed surpassing the contribution of adding a single friction sway control bar to the party.

Also, the Equal-i-zer WDH (like the Reese Strait-Line) uses "both" spring bars for it's integrated sway control.., I wonder if adding just a 'single' friction sway control bar would interfere with the physics behind the the Equal-i-zer WDH?

Just thinking out loud here....

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Look forward to their response...., curious if they feel it might interfere with the functionality of their integrated sway control.

IMO the Equal-i-zer WDH will provide a much higher degree of "friction resistance" when needed surpassing the contribution of adding a single friction sway control bar to the party.

Also, the Equal-i-zer WDH (like the Reese Strait-Line) uses "both" spring bars for it's integrated sway control.., I wonder if adding just a 'single' friction sway control bar would interfere with the physics behind the the Equal-i-zer WDH?

Just thinking out loud here....

Bob
That's my question also, Bob. I am curious about the Hayes electronic system, too. I researched them last year, but became skittish about drilling into the bend on the a-frame steel. I also am a little skittish about the thing going haywire on me. It relies on GPS - that's good and bad at times.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.... but became skittish about drilling into the bend on the a-frame steel......snip
I agree, the corner radius is the strongest part of the A-frame's structural tube and not wise to compromise it. That's why it's recommended when drilling holes through the A-frame to keep the holes away from the corner radius.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #10

Fam,

You said the wdh is dialed in pretty good. Is this per measuring the wheel well heights, or per a CAT Scale?

Are you wd bars riding on the tongue brackets as flat as possible, or are they angle some when compared to each other? The better the bar sits on the bracket, the better the sway control.

Is it truly sway that you’re experiencing, or just the truck and tt being pushed a little as one unit?

Also, are you feeling a “wiggle” in the rear of the truck at all??? Do you still have the P rated factory tires? If so, it could possibly be the tires due to the softer sidewall vs a LT tire. Even with running then at the max sidewall pressure. Almost like someone is pushing the back of the truck side to side. Not a huge movement, but a small, almost “wiggle” like.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Fam,

You said the wdh is dialed in pretty good. Is this per measuring the wheel well heights, or per a CAT Scale?

Are you wd bars riding on the tongue brackets as flat as possible, or are they angle some when compared to each other? The better the bar sits on the bracket, the better the sway control.

Is it truly sway that you’re experiencing, or just the truck and tt being pushed a little as one unit?

Also, are you feeling a “wiggle” in the rear of the truck at all??? Do you still have the P rated factory tires? If so, it could possibly be the tires due to the softer sidewall vs a LT tire. Even with running then at the max sidewall pressure. Almost like someone is pushing the back of the truck side to side. Not a huge movement, but a small, almost “wiggle” like.
Yes, we have spent several trips getting things right at the scales. I fell very solid about the WD, and the bars are flat. The feeling is as you have described, a little wiggle at the rear of the truck. The Michelins are P rated. I will not be changing to LT for a long while as the Michelins have about 15k on them, and you know how pricey they are. 80-90% of the truck's use is as a commuter.

The movement is not a significant issue at this point. I was just thinking ahead to some cross country westward trips where we know we will encounter high winds and bad road conditions.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Yes, we have spent several trips getting things right at the scales. I fell very solid about the WD, and the bars are flat. The feeling is as you have described, a little wiggle at the rear of the truck. The Michelins are P rated. I will not be changing to LT for a long while as the Michelins have about 15k on them, and you know how pricey they are. 80-90% of the truck's use is as a commuter.

The movement is not a significant issue at this point. I was just thinking ahead to some cross country westward trips where we know we will encounter high winds and bad road conditions.

Fam,

I am going to guess it’s more of a “P Rated” Tire “wiggle” than a sway issue.

What air pressure do you run the tires at? Read should be at the cold max pressure listed on the tire sidewall. Fronts anywhere from door sticker suggest pressure up to max sidewall. Find what feels the best.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #13

The max on the sidewall is 44psi. I run set them at 44psi cold when towing. I set the front at 40psi cold.

Next time, I will go with LT tires. My truck is also my daily driver, so I let the tire man sell me the P rated. I asked about LT tires in this Michelin, but he talked me out of them. His main point was the fact that I drive it to work every day.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:06 PM   #14

you drive it to work every day but you need to have the stiffer tire for when you are actually towing something which is more important than the little bit of ride quality you will miss out on..

heck make them exchange them...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #15

Quote:
We have our WD dialed in pretty well, thanks to you guys on the JOF and the CAT Scale. Our set up: RAM 1500 long bed, 2016 Jay Feather 23RBM, and an Equalizer 10K (4 -point) WDH. So far we travel pretty smooth with minimal "sway" or detectable side to side movement. We are planning some trips out West "where the winds come sweeping off the Plains." We really do not want to run into trouble or feel uncomfortable on the trips.

Should we consider an additional (manual/mechanicall tongue mount) sway bar? Can we add a sway bar to the tongue if we are using the Equalizer, or is there a problem with that?

Should we consider the Hayes electronic sway, digital GPS device?

Thank You!
Your Equalizer 4 point WDH, should have all the sway control you will need. If you are having issues, I would start with checking your tire pressures. Then your setup. Low TT tire pressures can scare the heck out of you. Also note some car tires have really soft side walls. I replaced my TT tires with identical tire specs, but from a different brand and now my TV does not handle as well. I did find raising my TV tire pressures has helped.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote