Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #1

Adding electric brake controller to 2009 Jayco 31 FS

Hello,

I have acquired a second hand 2008 Jayco 31 FS and it has the 7 pin trailer receptacle on it, but does not have the brake controller. I have read that on the Ford E450 chassis , it is only a question of connecting a brake controller through the proper harness to the 6 wire pig tail connector already there close to the ebrake release handle. Is that correct and if so, what controller would you guys suggest , knowing that this is meant to hook a tow dolly with electric brakes (obviously) to pull a small Honda Civic.

Thanks in advance ,

JF

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
jfguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #2

I recommend the p3 controller. My Titan truck had a wire tucked under the dash near the brake release. I pulled it down and connected my brake controller then mounted it where it fit my needs.
When you order the controller you pick what car vehicle you have and get the harness with it. At least how it worked for me when I ordered it through amazon years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #3

Thank you I will look into that one !

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #4

Well I can't find the pigtail that should be there . There is a bunch of audio video cable but nothing other than that. You refer to a titan so I assume you do not drive a Jayco Greywak of that year ?

Anybody with the same 2009 Greyhawk 31FS with any feedback?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #5

Correct I don’t have your trailer. Check your owners manual and should tell you where your brake controller harness is located

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfguay2 View Post
Well I can't find the pigtail that should be there . There is a bunch of audio video cable but nothing other than that. You refer to a titan so I assume you do not drive a Jayco Greywak of that year ?

Anybody with the same 2009 Greyhawk 31FS with any feedback?
Maybe this will help you locate the plug, this is a Q&A from etrailers website,

I have a 2008 Ford E450 class c motor home . It is factory wired with 7 pin connector in rear and has all the fuses and relays all lights and elec. brakes for a trailer . WHERE IS THE PLUGIN FOR THE BRAKE CONTROLLER LOCATED UNDER THE DASH ?? I found a 6 pin connector by the emergency brake , it has 1 pin w/ 12v all the time, 1 pin w/ 12v with ignition on ,1 pin ground but no pins with continuity to the brake light switch or the elec. brake pin in the rear 7 pin connector ......... I am in this position i have the same vehicle and i bought a primus iq brake controller it seems like the wiring in the rv is the opposite of the wiring harness and brake controller what are my options can i hard wire it or should i just get the prodigy p2?

Expert Reply:
The factory brake controller harness is a brown 6 pin connector located behind the hood release latch up near the firewall inside the cab. There is a gray connector in a similar location that maintains the same pigtail connector however, you are looking for the brown pigtail connector.

In many cases, the pigtails on each end of the connectors will not have the same wires on each end. There can be 7 wires coming from the brake controller and only 5 coming from the factory harness. I highly recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Trailer Brake Controller part # 90885 as this is one of our most popular proportional brake controllers though, both the Prodigy and IQ have the same wiring. I would not suggest hardwiring the controller into the vehicles factory harness as this controller has a direct plug in option part # 3035-P for your 2008 Ford E-450.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:49 AM   #7

Thank you. I ended up buying a dolly with hydraulics !

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk