Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #1

Advice please. Sienna towing 16xrb. What hitch?

Hi... Sorry, I know much of this gets covered, but trying to narrow down options.

I have a Sienna, 2015, LE, AWD
TT is a 2014 16xrb

I have a lot of trailering experience, but with heavier vehicles towing a boat and a landscape trailer..... Never dealt with WD/sway control.

With a TT this size, how necessary is sway control?

Do Friction sway control units work OK? Are they too much trouble to bother with?

Will the ground clearance of a round bar WD system be too low on a van? Seems like this might be a real concern.

Found this on Amazon... at the price, it's very tempting.. Opinions for use in my setup are welcome!
https://www.amazon.com/Husky-31620-L.../dp/B00OLR4SL0

Thanks!!!!!
Navig8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
Site Team

I am not a fan of the old style friction sway controls that are used on hitches like the one that you linked. Though they work, they can be a pain to deal with, have to disconnect to back up, etc.

I highly recommend one of the many more modern hitch designs that have integrated sway control. Many of us here are using Andersen, Equalizer, etc. They are much more expensive, but definitely worth the cost in my opinion.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #3

I've had a friction sway control bar with this type of hitch for many years and it works just fine. As said though there are better systems. I just bought, though it has not arrived yet, a Fastway E2 trunnion bar system. Because of the design of the system it does not need a separate sway bar. My main reason for buying a new hitch is my spring bars are wearing out and I can't get replacements.

Be careful about what you buy. The spring bars for this type of hitch usually are available in 2 different lengths. If you have a dual propane tank setup the chain stirrups may not clear your propane tanks. You probably are better off looking at an Anderson hitch, or a Equalizer/Fastway hitch. More money but better hitches.

I'd recommend calling Etrailer and finding out what you best options are. They are excellent over the phone and really know what they are doing. And if you buy it from them, you get their tech support as well when setting it up.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #4

I have a 195RB that comes in at 3400 down the road and the Andersen is an ideal mix of WDH and sway control in one. Also easiest to install, put on and off, lightest and doesn't have pesky or dangerous bars to put on and off. I love it. The Andersen leveler works great for me to. Also great customer service, watch a couple of videos.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:54 PM   #5

Is there a specific model number for the Andersen WDH that you use? I have a 2017 X17Z (2" ball requirement) with a weight similar to your TT. I'm towing with a 2015 4Runner.
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:47 AM   #6

Andersen sells one model hitch for towed RVs but has different heights for the ball in the receiver. I would measure the height of your trailer tongue ball socket when level on level ground and the height of the receiver hole in your car/truck on level ground. Then call Andersen and ask which one is for you. '
Note Andersen changed their design a while back with a newer and better hitch. Watch out that you might be getting the old model from a dealer, ebay or Amazon seller. The new model is better and I upgraded my hitch for $100 a year ago. Easier hitch up, says better brake material. Hope this helps but I know Andersen customer service people are great. They are plant people and not call center in India or somewhere.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote