Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
[Watson: Either way you look at this.., the transfer of air from one to the other makes the low side bag virtually useless when cornering or on uneven surface where the trailer sways from side to side.]

Go to Firestone or Airlift and do your homework.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #22

I put the Firestone ride rite on my F250. It's pretty easy to install them. Mine came with a piece that holds both of the hoses and I installed it right under my bumper. I just just had to remove the bags because I got a lift and had to add spacers. Also pretty easy. I ended up not using the spacers (3" lift) and instead just mounted the bracket that holds the bags a little different - multiple holes for the bolts so I just put the bolts in different holes to make the bracket a little taller.

The reason I installed the bags is my Ford does sag more than my old Chevy did with the same trailer. I have verified my weights are correct at a scale so I really only use them to get the truck a little more level.

Anyway, I am on the side of not putting a T. It saves you about 10 seconds when filling or deflating. I saw someone say above that it probably doesn't transfer the air from one bag to the other real quick - yes, but that also means once an air bag is deflated it will take a long time for it to fill back up once you are on level ground again. My opinion is it's not worth it to have a T.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
[Watson: Either way you look at this.., the transfer of air from one to the other makes the low side bag virtually useless when cornering or on uneven surface where the trailer sways from side to side.]

Enlighten us then...Show us were it says to Tee them together sir.
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post

Hey ALJO,
8 years ago a kit I bought (firestone) didn't come with a tee but I see others do now and these are commonly used when running an onboard compressor.
Teeing them together in that case is driven by keeping the cost down vs. having an expensive independently auto controlled bag system.
There is no definitive right or wrong here. Just once again peoples humble opinions.
Physics sides on the sway factor in my mind and others as well.
Ease of filling and using an onboard compressor drives others opinions.
To each their own.
Cheers
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #25

I mounted my fill fittings under my hood on a cross frame close to the drivers door. I have also seen them mounted inside the fuel door. I would not recommend putting them on the rear of the vehicle especially if towing a 5th wheel. Not always easy to get at when hooked up to trailer or if you have tailgate down when loaded up etc. Also, if you are going to be using a small electric pump that needs to plug in inside the truck, you want the location to be close enough to reach. Just my 2 cents.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
Looking in getting some air bags for my F150 2017. Wondering what did you guys go with? How difficult is it to Install, where did you guys mount the fittings to pump air Into the bags?

Would I be able to use a Union tee to pump both air bags at once? Just not sure how the pressure guage reading would work when both bags are connected to the tee.

Thanks
Firestone airbags, on board hard wired air pump, gauge in cab with a switch to inflate and let air out, only way to go, pain in the rear to install, but we'll worth it
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #27

I have air bags on the dodge 2500. it seems to me that it is a nice level pull for me. pulled easier with no drag in the back end.
The only problem for me that it is higher to get in the back end of the truck. I am a bit on the short side, not too short! But my step for the dog some in real handy I keep the pressure at 30lbs we had it put in the local repair shop
Attached Thumbnails
20170910_193836.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:00 PM   #28

I installed Sumo Springs on my F250. My truck (purchased used) had a firestone kit on it that had either failed or just had not been maintained as it was in non-working order. I had a devil of a time ripping it out, but installing the Sumo Springs after that was a piece of cake. Don't have to worry about air transfer (they used a T junction with no apparent check valve) nor air bag maintenance/failure. It barely affects the empty ride, but significantly improved the towing experience for my very large travel trailer. Set it and forget it, works for me.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #29

Using a T fitting will work for both bags. You don’t have to air each one up. I’ve driven Semi’s for years and now a dump truck. The air system airs up all the bags at once and they are connected together. Weight transfer in a dump truck is crazy, trust me you’ll be fine.
matzram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
That's not always true. I use a F350 dually and it squats around 2 in. maybe little more. Airbags allow you to level it back up. Fords seem to squat more than some other brands.
My guess is he was addressing the fact the question was about an f150. More likely it was to much weight.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #31

Installed Firestone's in my 06 Ram 3500 12 years ago no issues,easy to install.
Attached Thumbnails
06 Dodge.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #32

I recently had the Air Lift LoadLifter 5000's installed on my 09 Silverado 2500 HD.

The stock leaf springs had finally "broken in" so that the vehicle doesn't drive like a dump truck unloaded, but when I hitched up to my 9500 lb Jayco 5th wheel the load and the truck were no longer level.

Thought of buying with the "smart air" auto leveling system for automatic leveling regardless of load, but the salesman talked me into "wireless air" instead (which is cheaper).

I love it! With auto-level the truck stays level, but you can't control the pressure. With wireless air you can pre-set for your normal camper weight, but adjust each wheel independently from the drivers seat based on load, highway conditions, etc.

Bumpy highway - drop it a few lb. - WHILE DRIVING. High winds, need more control - bump it up.

AND - if you put a weird load in the bed - you have the ability to put different pressures in the bag on either side. I would never have them teed together.

No wires to run from the pump to the cab. It's radio controlled with a handheld remote the size of your garage door clicker.

I'm currently running 10lb. unloaded, and 55 lb. with my camper attached. The bags have internal jounce - so you can run them to zero if need be.

Install - I paid a shop in town to install - just getting too old for all that crud in my eyes. But I'm sure anyone with mechanical experience and the will could do it just fine.

Best of luck in your search.
SouthRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzram View Post
Using a T fitting will work for both bags. You don’t have to air each one up. I’ve driven Semi’s for years and now a dump truck. The air system airs up all the bags at once and they are connected together. Weight transfer in a dump truck is crazy, trust me you’ll be fine.

X2
Exactly

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote