Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2018, 06:04 AM   #1

Air bags vs. sumo springs?

Towing a 2016 Whitehawk 33RLBS ~7,500 lbs, 750 lb tongue weight.
Tow vehicle is a 2013 Ram 1500 Quad cab 5.7 Hemi with weight distribution hitch. I have a lot of "sag" or "stoop" on the truck. Considering air bags or sumo springs. Any pros or cons? Suggestions from anybody that's tried either or both?
sfd906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:39 AM   #2

Timbrens are another option. I installed them on our TV and am very pleased with their performance.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #3

I have not used the sumo springs but I have a set of AirLift 2000 with an on-board compressor and they're great. Empty I run 10 psi and there is no change in factory ride and when I load the trailer up It brings the truck back to level from about a 2" sag with about 40 psi. They are rated for a max of 100 psi so there is still plenty of room to grow which I never plan to get to in a half ton truck.
If the sumo springs are actual springs you can expect them to effect your ride when you're not towing so it'll probably be more harsh.

Timbren makes a quality product but the price is usually more than most others.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #4

Another happy Timbren user. No need for an air compressor and no leaks.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #5

Those are dry weights you're listing. You need to get your truck and trailer weighed. My guess is you're over on payload. Thats a lot of TT for a short WB Ram 1500. Adding bags or springs is a band aid.
What size WDH and what style is it?
38' is way too long for that truck. No wonder you're having issues.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #6

I chose SumoSprings. I didn't want airbags due to the maintenance and the higher likelihood of an eventual failure. I didn't want Timbrens because I understand they are very stiff compared to Sumos. My Sumos are mounted 1" off the axle so unloaded ride is unaffected, but loaded they immediately come into play. The sag and porpoising I experienced is gone so I am completely satisfied.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #7

You should not be adding air bags/helper springs/etc to fix sag caused by your trailer. This is counter productive. If you hook up your hitch and then inflated your air bags, you just lifted the rear of the truck and released tension off the the WDH spring bars which is the whole point of the system. You might as well not use the WDH at that point.

If your weight distribution is set up right then the truck should be riding pretty close to level with the rear squatting a little and the front raised a little bit from unloaded. If it is squatting excessively in the back, then you either dont have your hitch set up right(or maybe you bought too light of a hitch since you think the tongue weight is only 750) or its simply too much trailer for the truck.

Air Bag/Helper Springs/ETC should only be used for weight that you put in the bed of the truck, and then only to level the truck back to stock ride height PRIOR to setting up the weight distributing hitch.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #8

mass-hole nailed it.
When I had a 1/2 ton towing a smaller TT I used bags because I had to put most all my camping gear in the bed of the truck. The TT's TW was around 500 lbs. I was using 1000 lb bars because I needed to lift all the weight in the truck plus the TT's tongue. It rode like a buck board.
I added Ride Rite bags and switched to spring bars rated at 400-600 lbs.
I loaded up the truck and the aired up the bags to return the rear to it's unloaded height.
I then hitched up the TT and used the bars to setup the trucks front end.
It rode like a Caddy.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote