Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

Cool Airlift 1000 finally installed! First impressions...

So after 2 trips pulling our 267BHS with the RAM last summer there was plenty of power to get things moving but I felt that the coil spring rear suspension could use a little help keeping the weight balanced. On the RAM forum (the one that led me here ) I found many 4th Gen RAM owners installing the Airlift system after being dissatisfied with other solutions. I finally got the bags installed a few weeks ago and this past week was our first camping trip. They were totally worth it!!!

Without Airlift our fully loaded truck and TT with the WDH engaged would raise the front of the truck by about 1/4" but drop the rear by almost 2".

With the Airlift and WDH the front stayed even and the rear dropped only about 1/2".

Immediately I was happy but the real grins came as we hit the road Not that it was all that bad before but man did it feel so much better. Some of the roads we travel in SC are a bit rough and before we could really feel the TT pushing on the back of the truck. There were several times on our ride home today that I almost forgot that the TT was back there.

Anyone with a TV that has coils spring rear suspension and wishes they had a bit more support when towing should give the Airlift system look. It was the best use of $100 and a couple hours that I have had in quite some time.

Greg
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #2

Hi,
I'm new to the fourm, but have just purchased a Jayco TT and will be pulling it with a 2011 RAM. I had heard of other owners who had experienced rear end squat and fixed it with the Air Lift 1000 bags. In fact, I just ordered a set and they should be in by tomorrow.

Glad to hear your expeerience was a positive one. What is your estimated toungue weight and what PSI do you have your bags set for?

Cheers,
JJ.
JJ Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Re: Airlift 1000 finally installed! First impressions...

I have 30psi in the bags. Not sure of the actual hitch weight... have not had a chance to get her to the scales but dry the hitch weight is almost 700 lbs so I would guess we are close to 1000 loaded.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #4

Thanks!
I'm thinking my toungue weight will be about 100 less loeaded, but 30 psi gives me solid a place to start. I'm going to check to see if my floor jack will lift the truck enough that I can do this myself once the weather turns to the good. As long as I can get them in before going to get the trailer, I'll be good to go.

Days camping 2013 - 18.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #5

Hi Spectre,

I just finished in stalling the bags on a 2012 Ram 1500. It was easy, if you fold th bags like a hot dog bun and tie wrap them to hold the position they will fit in easily. The easiest way to do this install, is to loosen one wheel lift it as high as you can by the axel near the wheel, put an axle stand under the frame on the side your working on and then remove the wheel. Once you remove the wheel you can lower the jack under the axle....it's not necessary to remove the shocks. The spring will be extended enough to get the bag in easily. Once in place you can cut the ties, insert the spacer on top, connect the hose clamp about an inch from the end of the hose and then connect hose to the barbed connector on the bag. You can run the airline through the frame to the trailer hitch, there are two holes on either side of hitch that will work perfectly. I preferred a separate valve for each bag so they don't equalize when shifting weight from side to side. It makes the truck angle better side to side. They work great...I would caution that you reduce the pressure to 5 lbs. connect the trailer and use the WDH to adjust the front ground to fender distance or weight back to what it was before hitching the trailer. If you still have a noticeable squat in the rear then I would inflate to raise the rear end to level it out. Make sure your trailer is riding level or a little lower than level at the tongue. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Spectre View Post
Thanks!
I'm thinking my toungue weight will be about 100 less loeaded, but 30 psi gives me solid a place to start. I'm going to check to see if my floor jack will lift the truck enough that I can do this myself once the weather turns to the good. As long as I can get them in before going to get the trailer, I'll be good to go.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

I hadn't thought of running the two separate valves to enable side to side leveling. Thanks!

Days camping 2013 - 18.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raugustin View Post
...I would caution that you reduce the pressure to 5 lbs. connect the trailer and use the WDH to adjust the front ground to fender distance or weight back to what it was before hitching the trailer. If you still have a noticeable squat in the rear then I would inflate to raise the rear end to level it out. Make sure your trailer is riding level or a little lower than level at the tongue. Hope this helps.....
This is a great point. +1
Old 04-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #8

I've had an AirLift Ride Control system in my '97 Tahoe with Leaf Springs and loved it. When I got my RAM, I decided to put in the AirLift 1000 into it, however what I found out is the heavier duty AirLift systems operate differently than the 1000 series on coil springs.

For the Ride Control system, you add your load, then you add in air to balance.
For the 1000 series, you must pump the air bags up to full capacity, add your load, then REMOVE air to balance.

What AirLift support told me is that the 1000 series bags must fill the voids of the coil springs before the load is applied, thus keeping the coils expanded. When the air is removed, the coils can relax and balance the TV.
2007 Palomino Stampede 21RGS Hybrid (traded in 2013)
jamesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #9

Hi James,

is this the procedure for a WDH or a WCH? I have read that you should use the WDH to distribute the weight back to the front axles and only use the airbags to do fine adjustments for sag, if needed. You must keep a minimum of 5 psi in the bags at all time to prevent wear.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesj View Post
I've had an AirLift Ride Control system in my '97 Tahoe with Leaf Springs and loved it. When I got my RAM, I decided to put in the AirLift 1000 into it, however what I found out is the heavier duty AirLift systems operate differently than the 1000 series on coil springs.

For the Ride Control system, you add your load, then you add in air to balance.
For the 1000 series, you must pump the air bags up to full capacity, add your load, then REMOVE air to balance.

What AirLift support told me is that the 1000 series bags must fill the voids of the coil springs before the load is applied, thus keeping the coils expanded. When the air is removed, the coils can relax and balance the TV.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
Curt Q20 hitch
Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #10

I installed a Firestone RideRite kit this weekend on my F150 to see if it helps while towing. The first year I towed with the truck everything felt great, the second year it was a bit mushy but nothing had changed in my setup-loading, WDH, cargo...all the same.

The ride is definitely firmer...I only have 20psi in them right now. I might try bringing each down to 10 psi and see how that feels. My thought was to pump them up to around 30-40psi for towing.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #11

Airlift 1000 finally installed! First impressions...

Mcfarmall, I installed Firestone RideRites in my F150 as well last year. It does make a significant difference when handling a large tongue load (900-1000lbs). With 50-75lbs of air you can almost eliminate porpoising. One thing that surprised me was the classic 1/2 ton driveline 'shudder' you get when taking off from a stop with a heavy trailer was completely eliminated as well. The airbag brackets stiffen up the leaf spring to axle connection and reduce twist. That alone made it worth the price of admission!

John
Equalizer 12K
Forgvn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #12

Raguustin,

Here is probably the suggested process:

Install Air Springs keeping each side independent, do not "T" the fill lines to a single fill nozzle. Air Lift told me that this will provide for better roll control since the air will not go between right<->left bags.

1) Fill bag to min PSI (5lbs).
2) Hitch up TT to TV with WDH and adjust to get best level.
3) Unhitch TT from TV.
4) Fill bags to MAX PSI (35lbs).
5) Hitch up TT to TV with WDH to same adjustment as in #2
6) Remove air from Air Lift for fine adjustment and note PSI when complete.

You only have to do this once. The next time you hook up the TT to TV, you can skip steps 1-3.

My conversation from Air Lift was to always fill the bag to MAX PSI, apply load, then lower PSI until level.

Hope this helps.

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raugustin View Post
Hi James,

is this the procedure for a WDH or a WCH? I have read that you should use the WDH to distribute the weight back to the front axles and only use the airbags to do fine adjustments for sag, if needed. You must keep a minimum of 5 psi in the bags at all time to prevent wear.

Ron
2007 Palomino Stampede 21RGS Hybrid (traded in 2013)
jamesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #13

Thanks James,

I'll give it a try.

Regards,
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesj View Post
Raguustin,

Here is probably the suggested process:

Install Air Springs keeping each side independent, do not "T" the fill lines to a single fill nozzle. Air Lift told me that this will provide for better roll control since the air will not go between right<->left bags.

1) Fill bag to min PSI (5lbs).
2) Hitch up TT to TV with WDH and adjust to get best level.
3) Unhitch TT from TV.
4) Fill bags to MAX PSI (35lbs).
5) Hitch up TT to TV with WDH to same adjustment as in #2
6) Remove air from Air Lift for fine adjustment and note PSI when complete.

You only have to do this once. The next time you hook up the TT to TV, you can skip steps 1-3.

My conversation from Air Lift was to always fill the bag to MAX PSI, apply load, then lower PSI until level.

Hope this helps.

James

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
Curt Q20 hitch
Old 04-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #14

Excellent explanation James!! That is just how they explained it to me too.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #15

Thanks for all the advice! I have mine installed and have towed for a short haul at max PSI. It was a little bit bouncy, so now it is time to start taking air out until I am both level AND happy with the ride. Reading the instructions certainly helps, LOL.

http://www.carid.com/images/brand/ai...-126_60769.pdf

There is also a "rule of thumb" that you shoul expect to add about 2 psi above min fill (5 psi) for each 100 pounds of added weight. So if my toungue weight was expected to be about 800 lbs, I would be at 21 psi on each side {5 + (8*2)= 21}. I'll try that and then add back in if necessary.

Days camping 2013 - 18.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #16

We just bought a new 12 Laramie Crew & put the bags in the coils, it really holds our 308FBS up nice. Remember to check the air pressure often because you will ruin them if run flat & Airlift will not warranty them if over or under inflated.
6 Speed Auto 3:92 Posi
Rambox Hemi Hard Loaded
Airlift Bags 20" Goodyears
2004 Jayco Eagle 308 FBs
Sold trailer starting search
82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:03 AM   #17

Well, I've run into a really odd problem with the air bag ont he right (passenger) side. After last weekend, I went to release all but 5psi of the air from the bags and the right side was completely empty (not reading on the tire pressure gauge). So I put 20 psi in it and left it over night. The next day, same thing. No pressure on the right side. I took it to a service centre because I'm going out again this weekend and won't have the time to check this myself. They soaked all that lines, connections and bags with soap and water and tell me they didn't see any bubbles. Then they put 20 psi in it yesterday and it has held (up until this morning anyway).

Does anyone have an idea as to how you can have a phantom air pressure problem? This makes no sense to me.

Days camping 2013 - 18.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #18

After you set the pressure where you want it, you'll need to go back and readjust the WD. When you change the rear height of the truck, you are changing the tilt angle on the ball, the tension on the bars, and thus the amount of weight transfer. Once that is readjusted, you need to tow with the same amount of air in the bags every time or the WD is going to be different. For some reason people seem to be more concerned with how level the truck sits rather than if the right amount of weight is being transferred back to the front axle.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #19

The right side bag is now holding air. The only difference is that I didn't put the cap back on. Maybe that was the culprit?

I'll get to find out this weekend when we're on the road again.

Days camping 2013 - 18.