Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #1

Am I missing anything?

The DW and I spent a very windy Sunday afternoon loading and arranging our stuff in the camper in anticipation of the coming trips we have planned. Hooked up to our new TV and headed into a gusty 30-35 mph wind for the 2 mile trip to the scales. The TT weighed in at 6600 lbs with our stuff loaded or 900 lbs below its GVW (2017 White Hawk 27DSRL). Our tongue weight measured 1000 lbs. With the TT unhitched, the measurement from the ground to the bottom of the front fenders was 41 1/2". Placed the TT on the hitch without the WD bars and the front measured 42". Hooked the WD bars into the first link and measured 41 1/4 ". The book said to adjust to half the distance. Placed a level on the TT while on the level scale and everything was level. I had previously set up the WDH to the same measurements a week prior. I was just verifying that everything was still the same. When we purchased the TT, the dealer installed a 15,000 lb. Reese WDH with 1200 lb. bars plus a friction anti-sway bar.

The part I'm not understanding is, if everything is set up correctly to the best of my knowledge and figures, why was I experiencing quite a bit of sway from the TT on the way to the scales? I had to slow to about 45 mph going head on into a gusty south wind. Going with the wind was no problem. I live in the Midwest so winds are a common occurrence. Is my perception unrealistic and this is normal? Sure would appreciate observations from the towing experts. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #2

I'm no expert by any means but if you're pulling in 30-35mph winds you're going to feel it. I have two friction bars on mine and a WDH and can feel the same wind on my TT a lot more noticeably at 60mph than 45mph. If you add to that the fact that wind is ALWAYS swirling to some degree your definitely going to feel that much wind.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #3

How tight was your friction anti-sway set?
Did you have your TT and TV tires inflated to the maximum shown on the sidewalls?
A week prior everything was essentially the same, except for the wind, and sway was not an issue?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
How tight was your friction anti-sway set?
Did you have your TT and TV tires inflated to the maximum shown on the sidewalls?
A week prior everything was essentially the same, except for the wind, and sway was not an issue?
The friction anti-sway was set pretty tight by hand but not as tight as I could get it.

The door jam sticker indicates 60psi on the front and 65psi on the rear. That's what they were serviced to. The sidewall indicates 85psi. They are 20" Michelin load range E tires.

The week before didn't appear to be an issue at 65mph. Albeit the winds were not as gusty. So I'm thinking Sunday may have been somewhat normal. This is our first experience towing something other than a ski boat. We're leaning quickly.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #5

I'd suggest increasing the tire pressure in both your tow vehicle and trailer (you didn't mention the pressure in your TT tires) every time you tow. Higher pressures will reduce the sidewall flex which helps reduce sway plus the tires will run cooler. My tow vehicle rear tires and my trailer tires are always at 80psi; the front TV tires at 75psi.

If you find sway is still an issue, then try increasing the friction sway control and see if that helps.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #6

We tow a 7000lbs trailer with our F250 and we still feel it as well. Semi trucks passing or gusts of wind all induce a slight sway to the trailer.

If you are looking for the "I can't even tell its back there" feeling it probably won't happen. As long as you are only adding small steering corrections and you are not uncomfortable or white knuckling it I would say it is normal.

We are using a blue ox with 1000lbs bars. I am sure your Reese WDH is up to the job as long as its adjusted correctly. You should check that with another trip to the scales and get the weight of your front axle empty, hitched, and hitched with WDH bars engaged.

Cheers
Old 03-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I'd suggest increasing the tire pressure in both your tow vehicle and trailer (you didn't mention the pressure in your TT tires) every time you tow. Higher pressures will reduce the sidewall flex which helps reduce sway plus the tires will run cooler. My tow vehicle rear tires and my trailer tires are always at 80psi; the front TV tires at 75psi.

If you find sway is still an issue, then try increasing the friction sway control and see if that helps.
Thanks for the response. The TT pressure was 50 psi which is the stated pressure on the sidewalls. The tires on the TT are 14" Taskmaster Provider, load range C, M Rated.

After reading some of the responses, I'm really thinking it was just really gusty conditions that I have not experienced before.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
We tow a 7000lbs trailer with our F250 and we still feel it as well. Semi trucks passing or gusts of wind all induce a slight sway to the trailer.

If you are looking for the "I can't even tell its back there" feeling it probably won't happen. As long as you are only adding small steering corrections and you are not uncomfortable or white knuckling it I would say it is normal.

We are using a blue ox with 1000lbs bars. I am sure your Reese WDH is up to the job as long as its adjusted correctly. You should check that with another trip to the scales and get the weight of your front axle empty, hitched, and hitched with WDH bars engaged.

Cheers
Good suggestion. I will do that.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #9

If you want smooth, comfortable, no-sway towing, get a ProPride hitch. The friction bars are not very useful from what I have seen. I used to use one with our old Jay Feather 232 EXP and it made no difference in the way the camper towed whether with my Astro van or even when I upgraded to a Ram 2500 4x4. I still got occasional sway. When we upgraded to a 26 BH the Ram pulled it the same as the 232, we had occasional sway. When I traded the Ram in for the Tundra, I knew I needed to buy a better hitch so we decided to buy the best one available. Once it was setup, we have never felt any type of sway, cross winds or the push/pull from tractor trailers.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #10

I think it must have been the wind, I towed my jay flight g2 29BHS to the keys for south jersey doing 75-85 and never felt sway, I didn't use anything other than a hitch. I have a '12 ram Cummins 2500, and I didn't need the wdh as the tongue weight was light enough and I never have used a sway friction bar as I've seen to many bend when trying to back up just to get out of a bind. I think you should be fine under normal circumstances.
Cummins-a-pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins-a-pullin View Post
I think it must have been the wind, I towed my jay flight g2 29BHS to the keys for south jersey doing 75-85 and never felt sway, I didn't use anything other than a hitch. I have a '12 ram Cummins 2500, and I didn't need the wdh as the tongue weight was light enough and I never have used a sway friction bar as I've seen to many bend when trying to back up just to get out of a bind. I think you should be fine under normal circumstances.
I don't think any RV is rated for those speeds. Most are rated for no more than 65...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I don't think any RV is rated for those speeds. Most are rated for no more than 65...
That's what my wife said...
Old 03-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #13

Quote:
That's what my wife said...
But no seriously, she did say that. If the dog wants to run you have to let the dog run. There are roads in this country with speed limits of 85 so the trailer and tire should go 85, otherwise that is just ridiculous. BTW the tires on my camper were e-rated and good for high speed.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Wow. 85 mp/h with a 29BHS loaded for camping with no WDH or sway control and probably oblivious to your tongue weight, the weight of the trailer, the speed ratings on the TT tires or the actual ratings of a Fiat 2500 . That takes a lot more skill than most of have. Another one of those didn't even know it was back there situations. There are lots of youtube videos on setups like this. Hopefully nobody else is injured when the inevitable occurs !
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Wow. 85 mp/h with a 29BHS loaded for camping with no WDH or sway control and probably oblivious to your tongue weight, the weight of the trailer, the speed ratings on the TT tires or the actual ratings of a Fiat 2500 . That takes a lot more skill than most of have. Another one of those didn't even know it was back there situations. There are lots of youtube videos on setups like this. Hopefully nobody else is injured when the inevitable occurs !
I wouldn't suggest driving that speed, I was just commenting that I think the wind was the issue. Also I was only able to do this because I have a pre-fiat ram like I said I wouldn't suggest driving that fast, but I was comfortable with the driving situation, I was also on I-95 and if I was doing 75 I was getting passed like crazy, I was only keeping up with the traffic flow.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #16

I've towed at 75+ many times and have never used a wdh or sway control in my life- those are pretty unique to rv's- seldom used commercially. Speed ratings on tires can be compensated for by over-inflation (up to the max cold psi anyway). It's common in The trucking industry because truck tires are only rated for 75. Every 5 psi buys you 5 mph over the rating. Some trucks, trailers and loads can handle it, some can't, it all depends on load and road conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote