Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #1

An open adult conversation about two trucks

I have a dilemma. I am looking at two specific trucks and I cannot decide on one.
The first is a 2016 Ram SLT 2500 5.7 HEMI and the second is a 2015 Chevy Silverado LT 2500 6.0. Both have 3.73 rears and I know the capabilities of
the engine/towing. Both suite my needs towing wise. heres the vins in case anyone wants to check them out.. 3C6TR5DT4GG140652 , 1GC1KVEGXFF573589

The Chevy is $1600 more. I would like to know some facts about what makes one better then the other. I cant really find anything good on the web that compares these two models. I dont know alot about the differences in things like suspension, braking, between these models so I would love to know a bit more about that.

I have test drove both and so and some observations I have noted... The RAM has some cheap cosmetics and seats compared to the Chevy. They put chrome plastic over the steel rims which is just cheesy to me and just started me off with a bad impression. I can get over that though The RAM got about 2MPG better gas mileage during my test drives. They both drove fantastically and I would not be able to pick one based off that. The chevy is a bit easier to get in and out of. Other then that.. They both fit my needs. I would love to hear from you all especially if you are familiar with these specific models.

Ram - http://chevroletforum.com/forum/vind...TR5DT4GG140652
Chevy - http://chevroletforum.com/forum/vind...PKSE72CF158349
CaldwellOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:29 AM   #2

i don't know about those models, however i have been driving Chevy trucks for the past 40 years and honestly i have never had one that had a serious maintenance issue.
never had a dodge
Old 05-27-2016, 05:34 AM   #3

When I was looking my first choice was GM, primarily because I didn't like how the Ford drove and didn't know anything about the Ram. Walked out of the GMC dealer because he didn't seem interested in the sale and wasn't willing to work with me. Stopped at the Ram dealership on a whim, and very happy so far. I agree about the cosmetics and wheels, but for the price I paid that can be overlooked. I recommend steps on either one, but especially the Ram as it is tall - DW had a hard time getting in and out until the steps were added.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:39 AM   #4

I like both trucks. But if it were me, I'd opt for the medium duty Ram with the 6.4.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:21 AM   #5

I can't speak to the quality of either truck, although I have never heard anything too bad about either of them. One thing that I would be looking at though is the price difference. The GM had better have a much higher trim level, or other options to justify a higher price on a year older truck.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
I can't speak to the quality of either truck, although I have never heard anything too bad about either of them. One thing that I would be looking at though is the price difference. The GM had better have a much higher trim level, or other options to justify a higher price on a year older truck.
I agreed with that. And your right. That is a a con on my list for the chevy. I do think the quality of the interior and wheels on the chevy are better but that doesn't really make it any better at what I need it for... Towing. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #7

All things considered what are the actual specs of each truck? I believe tha Ram would have a GVWR of 9000lbs (?) With the 5.7 vs. What for the Chev? I don't think you can go wrong with either so get the one that suits your needs. That 6.0 may have a little more clout with the 3.73s than the 5.7. I have 3.73s on my 6.4 Ram and that's the only thing about it that leaves me wanting. The 66rfe is also having (in my opinion) some teething issues. It works fine but the programming seems a bit sketchy.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:47 AM   #8
Site Team

If everything is acceptable on both trucks, I would go with the one that feels the best in the drivers seat. You will be sitting in it for a long time and it gets very important on a trip.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war View Post
All things considered what are the actual specs of each truck? I believe tha Ram would have a GVWR of 9000lbs (?) With the 5.7 vs. What for the Chev? I don't think you can go wrong with either so get the one that suits your needs. That 6.0 may have a little more clout with the 3.73s than the 5.7. I have 3.73s on my 6.4 Ram and that's the only thing about it that leaves me wanting. The 66rfe is also having (in my opinion) some teething issues. It works fine but the programming seems a bit sketchy.
Ram - VIN Decoder - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums
Chevy - VIN Decoder - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

You are correct.. The GVWR is 9k for ram and 7300 for chevy. Right again on the 6.0. The chevy has 13000 vs Ram at 11000.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaldwellOne View Post
snip..... The GVWR is 9k for ram and 7300 for chevy........snip
Probably a typo, but I would think the Chevy has a 9,300lb GVWR (in lieu of 7,300).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:32 AM   #11

Your probably right. I copied that number off the Vin decoder site.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #12

Either truck will be fine for you. Personally in the Ram I would look at the 6.4 over the 5.7, simply because the 5.7 has a much lower GVWR than the 6.4.

Any of those engines makes a ton of power and are relatively fuel efficient. Buy the one that YOU like, who cares what anyone else likes?
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #13

I appreciate your input. I am really just trying to find out if one of these has something other then powertrain that would make it a better pick over the other. for example.. does one have a better suspension? I don't know if a coil spring is better then a leaf spring setup.. Or brakes.. or steering.. Just a few examples. Im sure they are all capable but I really dont know enough about any of these particulars to make an educated decision.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #14

For what its worth I find the coils fantastic. Since I use my 2500 as a daily driver that made a huge difference. And they are STOUT. Rode way better empty than the F250 we test drove back to back and don't squat nearly as bad as the F250. I can't comment on the coils vs. the chev leaf pack since we didn't test drive a chev. No helper bags or anything required. Handle very well on wash board and poor road conditions and don't knock your fillings out while driving around.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #15

According to that vin decoder, the ram is spec'd with the air ride. I have heard nothing but praise for it although I have no first hand experience with it.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #16

So many possible arguments on both sides of the fence on this. Chevy lovers vs. Ram lovers.
I have owned 2500/250s from all the big three. I used to be a die hard chevy fan, in fact I still know more chevrolet engine and transmission specs than any normal person would need to know.

There has been positives and negatives about every truck I have owned.
However, this being about your choice.
Assuming both trucks will service your needs and desires, realistically you can't make a wrong choice here. Forget about all the tech specs and talk. Will the truck do the job you need it to do?
If the answer is yes to both, then put a picture of each on a dart board, blind fold yourself and throw the dart. Or flip a coin.
Or, have the wife decide.... maybe, possibly...
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #17

I love my Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD. Read to the end to learn why. I had a 2012 with the diesel engine. At 34,000 miles, I started losing coolant. Took it in and they said the head gaskets needed to be replaced. At 44,000 miles...low coolant again. Took it back in and they replaced the EGR coolers under warranty. At about 54,000 miles, low coolant again! I took it in, they looked and couldn't find the issue. Dealer said he didn't know what to do.

I called GM customer Assistance. They reviewed what had been done to my truck and said they would replace it under lemon law. Last week, I picked up a brand new 2016 Silverado 2500 with a diesel engine. The process to get the new truck took 2 months, but is well worth the wait. Like Jayco, GM stood behind their product! Nothing is more important than a company standing behind their product.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
When I was looking my first choice was GM, primarily because I didn't like how the Ford drove and didn't know anything about the Ram. Walked out of the GMC dealer because he didn't seem interested in the sale and wasn't willing to work with me. Stopped at the Ram dealership on a whim, and very happy so far. I agree about the cosmetics and wheels, but for the price I paid that can be overlooked. I recommend steps on either one, but especially the Ram as it is tall - DW had a hard time getting in and out until the steps were added.
My experience was similar. Except after I got shut down at the GM dealer, I started researching the RAM. I got shut down at 2 RAM dealerships too. I eventually bought mine from an out of town dealer after I had researched for about 6-months and test drove a few models. I started the process with a slight preference to GM since that's what I had at the time, and have always liked, but I quickly abandoned that and began comparing all 3 manufacturers evenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Either truck will be fine for you. Personally in the Ram I would look at the 6.4 over the 5.7, simply because the 5.7 has a much lower GVWR than the 6.4.

Any of those engines makes a ton of power and are relatively fuel efficient. Buy the one that YOU like, who cares what anyone else likes?
+1. The 6.4 option in the RAM is worth the price of admission IMO (it was a $1600 option IIRC?). Also, the RAM has 10,000 GVWR compared to the GM's 9,XXX. I got the "Tradesman" package (almost all the available options) and it's nicer than my '12 GMC SLE was. It is pretty stripped down though, so I have 3,000+ payload capacity after adding step rails and a tonneau cover. The GMs might get a nod in the Transmission department, but I don't know enough details about that to speak intelligently about it. My RAM's transmission is fine, but my GMC's transmission was a little funky.

One thing I thought about was that GM's 6.0 has been around FOREVER. It's a tried, tested and proven power plant all around. The 6.4 had only been around in truck applications for 2 years when I bought. That gave me a bit of pause, but then the 6.4 has been used in cars for a while and has done fine. On the same note, the 5.7 in the RAM HD line has been around for a long time too and is a well tested and proven power plant as well.

I will say that in my experience, the GMs tend to be more comfortable, and in the higher trim packages better appointed. But like you said, the comfort is fine, and I bought it for towing and hauling, so I can overlook some of the cheap plastic stuff, and my rear has already conformed to the factory 2-way manual adjustable seat in my RAM just fine. Those "chrome" wheel covers are pretty silly though, aren't they?

If you go with the RAM in 6.4, I would get the 4.10; I also got the 3.73, and it's about the only thing I would change about my truck.

This is a tough decision. Both are good trucks IMO. Good luck with whatever you choose, and update when you pull the trigger!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #19

I test drove both the Ram and Chevy 2500 gasses before buying my Chevy Duramax. I towed all over with my '07 Chevy 2500 6.0. The only thing I would have changed was the axle ratio (had 3.73 wished it had 4.10) but the newer 6.0 has a lot more power than mine did.

For gas 3/4 ton towing capacity it's hard to beat the Ram's available 6.4 hemi.

As far as suspension goes, it's a matter of manufacturers. Coil rear vs. leaf rear - roughly equal in ride and weight carrying. Independent front (GM) vs. straight axle (Ram) - independent will give a better ride and handling, straight will carry weight (think snowplow etc) better. Personally, I give the edge in suspension to GM for better ride and handling. Side note - Ram has available air ride ($$$).

Fit and finish - make sure you are comparing similar packages. From what I looked at the Ram just appeared to be more cheaply built. That was important to me as the fit and finish is what I see everyday.
wfd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Or, have the wife decide.... maybe, possibly...
Funny you say that.. I asked my wife which she liked better.. She said "They are both big and beautiful" So no help there...