Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
The Stowaway hitch tightener arrived today. It's much heavier and more solidly built than I anticipated, especially compared to the Roadmaster Quiet Hitch, which I also bought but am returning.

I fit it to the hitch and torqued it to the recommended 60 ft lbs and it was rock solid. I'm hoping that placing a shim between the stinger and receiver and then installing the Stowaway will create a sound solution - the Stowaway will ensure the shim stays in place and the shim will prevent any slop that might stress the Stowaway. The Stowaway LOOKS like it could do the job on its own and I've read several reviews to that effect, but I think Bob is right to suggest shims. I'm going to fully set it up under load Saturday for a weekend outing and will post pics and results from the trip. Slop be gone (wish me luck)!
Good luck! Definitely interested in the outcome.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #22

Mikey, after doing a google search, I ran across your thread. Even though I have a Forest River product, my coupler is the same as yours and was having some issues with my setup. TV is a 2016 Ram 3500 CTD, trailer is a 2016 Rockwood 8312SS with 1250 lb tongue weight. Really have no slop in the receiver since I am using a 2 1/2 in shank. We are leaving from KC MO to Yellowstone this Friday for 2 weeks. I do not like how the chains are angled so much from the brackets to the plate. Do you think a call to Andersen would get me some brackets like yours, or do you think my setup looks ok?
Attached Thumbnails
20170502_120135.jpg   20170502_120204.jpg   20170502_120233.jpg   20170502_120614.jpg   20170502_120255.jpg  

Catsgot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsgot9 View Post
Mikey, after doing a google search, I ran across your thread. Even though I have a Forest River product, my coupler is the same as yours and was having some issues with my setup. TV is a 2016 Ram 3500 CTD, trailer is a 2016 Rockwood 8312SS with 1250 lb tongue weight. Really have no slop in the receiver since I am using a 2 1/2 in shank. We are leaving from KC MO to Yellowstone this Friday for 2 weeks. I do not like how the chains are angled so much from the brackets to the plate. Do you think a call to Andersen would get me some brackets like yours, or do you think my setup looks ok?
First, I'd recommend speaking with the manufacturer about your specific application - that's what I did. Second, I'd say that if it's performing well, i.e. delivering sufficient weight distribution and sway/bounce control, and if there are no signs of wear, damage, strange sounds, etc., then leave it be. I did what I did only because it wasn't delivering sufficient weight distribution. That said, yes, I think Andersen would make a similar bracket for you if you asked. Good luck with whatever you pursue.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip..... Really have no slop in the receiver since I am using a 2 1/2 in shank........snip
Your TT coupler's relationship with the hitch ball looks ideal..., minimizing receiver/WDH slop makes a notable difference.

Quote:
snip..... I do not like how the chains are angled so much from the brackets to the plate.....snip
I tend to agree.

IMO some angle to the chain wouldn't be an issue, but with your application I personally wouldn't be comfortable with the aggressive 'angled' chain-pull on the long threaded chain bolt and associated hardware at the outside frame bracket. I agree with Mike, I would contact Anderson.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #25

Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
Good luck! Definitely interested in the outcome.
Okay, we just completed a 350 mile sway- and chuck-free round trip with the Andersen, augmented by the Stowaway hitch stabilizer and a 1/8" thick zinc coated steel shim between the top of the Andersen pin and the truck receiver. While the Stowaway loosened up a tad during travel, its primary purpose was to keep the shim in place, which it did perfectly. The shim itself was just a piece of steel strapping I bought at Lowes and cut down to fit. It also performed well, with no deforming or mushrooming.

As you can see from the attached photo taken at the end of our trip, the angle of the ball housing/ball/shank is much less aggressive than it was before shimming the receiver (see the pics in my earlier posts to this thread). I also took Bob's advice and measured to check for pin box flex. The result? Zero flex - the distance between the top of the pin box and the bottom of the bumper was unchanged, whether hitched up with full weight distribution engaged or unhitched entirely. At no time during our trip did the trailer coupler make contact with the ball housing, even over a few potholes and rough terrain, and the hitch performed perfectly the entire time.

I'm now pretty happy with my Andersen "underslung" setup. It's quick to install/unhitch, clean, light and quiet. It's giving me 75% FALR and excellent anti-sway, anti-bounce performance. Do I feel the air displacement when a semi passes at high speed? Sometimes. But it doesn't make the trailer sway at all - the truck and the trailer react as one. Same with heavy cross winds - I can feel them pushing on the truck and trailer, but they behave as a single unit - no trailer sway. The hitch does its job admirably. I hope to get many miles of safe, carefree towing from it.
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender[3337].jpg  
Our White Hawk photo album
Old 05-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #26

Catsgot9, your chains look like mine. I sent Andersen a photo and they recommended I put a 1/4" washer between the lower bracket bolt and the frame. That would make the chains more in line and help with weight distribution. My receiver is 2 1/2" and I have a reducer to take it down to 2". Do they make a 2 1/2" shank that will fit the Andersen?

Mikey, glad everything is sweet now! Even with my drooping chains and excessive slop in my receiver, it still does a good job. I'm trying to figure out how to take the excessive slop out. Between the reduction insert and the Andersen shank, there's a lot! Ongoing project.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #27

My current set up that needs adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1288.jpg  
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
snip..... The result? Zero flex - the distance between the top of the pin box and the bottom of the bumper was unchanged, whether hitched up with full weight distribution engaged or unhitched entirely.....snip
Mike,

Zero flex is better then ideal..., not unusual for a pin box to experience 1/8" to 1/4" flex, especially with heavier tongue weights requiring higher rated spring bars.

Notable pin box flex can influence unwanted draw bar (shank) tilting and will compromise the WDH's ability to maintain constant weight transfer.

I agree, your TT coupler/ball mount relationship looks much better.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Mike,

Zero flex is better then ideal..., not unusual for a pin box to experience 1/8" to 1/4" flex, especially with heavier tongue weights requiring higher rated spring bars.

Notable pin box flex can influence unwanted draw bar (shank) tilting and will compromise the WDH's ability to maintain constant weight transfer.

I agree, your TT coupler/ball mount relationship looks much better.

Bob
Thanks, Bob, I'm a lot more confident in my setup thanks to your advice.
Our White Hawk photo album