Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2021, 01:12 PM   #1

Anderson Hitch

Anybody had any experience on the Anderson Hitch system for a travel trailer? I am looking and moving to it from a traditional Reese, bar type system. Any comments or information would be appreciated.
Mjgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgibbs View Post
Anybody had any experience on the Anderson Hitch system for a travel trailer? I am looking and moving to it from a traditional Reese, bar type system. Any comments or information would be appreciated.
I've used one since 2017. Absolutely love the hitch and can't imagine at this point going back to a traditional style hitch. It does everything that I want out of it and does it well. If you have any specific questions, please let me know.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #3

Anderson Hitch

I assume it has given you the sway control and appropriate weight distribution as advertised?
Old 03-13-2021, 09:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Yes. No issue with weight distribution (800 lb tongue weight) and it is rock solid going down the road.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 03-13-2021, 10:10 PM   #5

Great, I think I will give it a try.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:30 AM   #6

You don’t say what TT you have or what your TV is. But unless it is extremely heavy, I’d strongly recommend. We’ve logged about 10k miles in three years on ours and it has been great. The sway control, especially, is excellent, particularly in heavy cross winds. It’s light, quiet and clean. And Andersen support is very good.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #7

Anderson Hitch

I think I am fine with the truck and trailer. I have 2021 f-150 SC shortbed 3.5EB Max Tow end 3.55 rearend on order. The trailer will be 6500 max.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I've used one since 2017. Absolutely love the hitch and can't imagine at this point going back to a traditional style hitch. It does everything that I want out of it and does it well. If you have any specific questions, please let me know.
Same here.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #9

We have logged two trips to the Rockies from Illinois, one to Florida and our introductory tour/break in around Indiana. About 8,000 miles total. After we got the tension set and I drilled the set holes on the trailer to keep the brackets from moving no problems. Love the low weight. In Nebraska we pulled off at a rest area to find several professional delivery haulers. Asked why all there. They replied high winds were causing to much sway and dangerous. We experience no sway! I had to other bar and chain types you had to lift in place with no sway, Heavy, dangerous and hard to use. Love Andersen customer service.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #10

I had the Curt with the WD bars prior to our new trailer but had to get one with a heavier rating and went with the Anderson. It is so much easier to use, once you get use to it and set up right. No need to carry the pry bar for the chains or the anti sway slider. I always had to get out and release the sway controller prior to backing up, not I don't have to do anything extra and like everyone said, it is solid going down the road.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:31 AM   #11
TWX

Anyone have experience with Anderson when leaving the pavement? We bought our 174BH Baja partly with the intent of going a bit further out into the boonies than most travel trailers, the seller included the Husky Centerline 32215 unit but it's over a hundred pounds and sticks out behind the truck pretty far.

I'm concerned with the Anderson that if the nose of the tow vehicle ends up pointed upward too far it will put too much strain on the polyurethane bushings used as springs.

That said it looks like it would be much easier to disconnect and stow the chains when leaving the pavement and if I keep my tongue weight reasonable then the principal advantage in having the WDH would be for higher speed driving on paved roads anyway.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:16 AM   #12
Site Team

I use the Andersen with my Baja edition. I've taken my combo in to some places that are not on the pavement. In fact, one place we camp is approx 5 miles off the paved road.

There is no issue with the Andersen in anything that I have experienced.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 03-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #13

I have not been doing extreme off roading with my Andersen but have hit some back country dirt roads that were rough and never had a problem. Even at slow speeds it is important to keep the front axle fully loaded in mud, sand or slippery pavements of you will be going sideways.

You could call Andersen, they have great customer service and could probably give you some expert advice, if you do, please pass it on here.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:27 PM   #14

Anderdsen all the way.

Quote:
I bought an early Andersen on E-bay from a guy in Iowa who had it for apparently many years. Found some chain oxidation, but otherwise rock solid. Towed from 60 miles east of Amarillo to Scottsdale, then Phoenix in February and returned in March 2019. Same trip in March 2020 with the same hitch, and other trips without incident. Bought a brand new Andersen setup, intending to sell the old one, instead bought another tt. The 'old' Andersen is now on the 2005 Skyliner Layton (6,780 lbs) and with new friction sleeve works great. The 'new' Andersen is on my Jayfeather and is no different from the old (pre 2017) model. I replaced an Ultrafab round bar and chain with Reese anti-sway. That setup on my <Berkshire Hathaway Brand> 24QBXL behind my previous 2015 F-150 and 2019 RAM would "wag the dog" and I would find myself slightly skewed sideways on the highway at 60mph in a Texas Panhandle crosswind. Not so with the Andersen.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
My opinion probably doesn't mean much because that's all I've ever used and I'm pretty new to trailering. I bought it because it seemed to be getting the best reviews.

My only complaint about it was that the dealer refused to help me hook it up because I hadn't bought it through them and judging by the look on their face when I showed them the small box it came in, it was clear they had no experience with it. They said "It's an east coast thing" (I'm in California). Yeah, my complaint's not really about the hitch.

I do have one warning though, be extra sure that the chain is snug and inline (no twist) before tightening the bolts. The second towing, was a lot worse than the first because the chain slipped tension when I clipped a curb pulling out of the lot. Apparently it was not totally snug in the bracket when I tightened it, but it didn't slip until I went over the curb and rocked the trailer. I heard the 'pop' but assumed it was just trailer noise. It still towed fairly well, but it moved around a lot when being passed by anything big.

Happy Trailering,

Dave

Making my world better one mistake at a time...
DAT-IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:07 PM   #16

Bleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT-IT View Post
.... it seemed to be getting the best reviews.

My only complaint about it was that the dealer refused to help me hook it up because I hadn't bought it through them and judging by the look on their face when I showed them the small box it came in, it was clear they had no experience with it. They said "It's an east coast thing" (I'm in California). Yeah, my complaint's not really about the hitch.
... be extra sure that the chain is snug and inline (no twist) before tightening the bolts. The second towing, was a lot worse than the first because the chain slipped tension when I clipped a curb pulling out of the lot. Apparently it was not totally snug in the bracket when I tightened it, but it didn't slip until I went over the curb and rocked the trailer. I heard the 'pop' but assumed it was just trailer noise. It still towed fairly well, but it moved around a lot when being passed by anything big.

Making my world better one mistake at a time...
Having gained first hand catastrophe management, you might double check your rig. IF the brackets are not firm and the set screw dug in, that popping noise is most likely something slipping that shouldn't. Both my Andersen hitches are DEAD SILENT. The way I set mine up was to park the rig on a level pad. Measure how much height at the wheel well from unloaded height. Re-connect trailer and let it load suspension load, remeasure. Lift the trailer tongue while hitched to the tv. Make sure to adjust the brackets to allow adjustment nut on chains to just clear threads. Once the tongue brackets are set, they never should have to be moved again. Crank the bolts to draw tension on the triangle plate on the bottom of the hitch and when it begins to "pull" on the plate, equalize both sides (number of turns on the bolts). Raise the tongue jack and measure. You should have level tv and tt, slight compression to front AND rear suspension (1-2 inches). Periodically check the chains, have a delightful trip...
Note: If you are nose down on the tt, raise the hitch assy in the receiver adapter. If you are nose up, lower it.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:46 PM   #17

Anybody have a CAT Scale ticket with weight amounts moved from back axle to the front with an Andersen?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:29 PM   #18

Google sent me down a hellacious washboard road when we went to Joshua Tree NP and the hitch did fine.

We went to Yellowstone and had zero problems with the Wyoming winds. We frequently drive CA. Highway 152 over Pacheco Pass with the wind warning sign on without problems.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:13 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
When I was towing TT, Anderson complete was what I had. Awesome setup. Several of my friends changed to it.

2017 North Point 315RLST
2012 F250 Lariat 2WD 6.7 diesel
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:49 PM   #20

The Andersen No Sway hitch is great. I had about 12K miles on mine before we moved up in truck and the a 5th wheel. You may hear some naysayers, but pretty much none of those people have ever used or owned one. Owner reactions are a better reflection of function.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote