Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2015, 12:31 AM   #1

Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch?

Has anyone used it? They claim it can be used in a short bed truck and get a full 90 degree turn. Only weighs about 50lbs. Looking for some real world use on it. I will be mounting it in a 15' Dodge 6.5' bed with a future Eagle HT 26.5 BHS. Thanks in advance!!!!
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

I don't have any experience with the Anderson Ultimate, but the following recent JOF thread on the subject may be helpful:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...ion-26040.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #3

We replaced our Pro Series 16K (slider) 5th wheel hitch with the Anderson Ultimate (rail version). Just finished towing our 5er to California from South Dakota. Towed great - smooth, no chucking and less bouncing across Interstate bridges. We love it! Our TV has a 6.5' bed - no problems with turns or backing into sites.
Schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner View Post
We replaced our Pro Series 16K (slider) 5th wheel hitch with the Anderson Ultimate (rail version). Just finished towing our 5er to California from South Dakota. Towed great - smooth, no chucking and less bouncing across Interstate bridges. We love it! Our TV has a 6.5' bed - no problems with turns or backing into sites.
Did you have chucking issues before using the Andersen? How old was the Reese? While I think the Andersen is a great product, I'm just not convinced that it's all that more solid than most quality 5th hitches.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #5

I think there are 2 versions out there. One with the Gooseneck and the rail version. I have a friend with the gooseneck version and it is lightweight, but we had to pound the conection point onto the existing pin for hooking up the camper which means that if you go to the yard for service you need to leave your hitch for moving around. Second is that piece is probably never coming off without some serious muscle. It could have been just that pin, but it was very tight.

You also need to be very close on connections due to it being lowered down on the ball, vs the traditional back in pin and head combo.

I cannot state anything on clearances as this was a full length bed setup.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #6

I tow a 38flsa with a f350 short bed and use the Anderson ultimate aluminum hitch it only weighs 32 lbs, no grease to mess with very easy to install and it tows great! I would recommend one but that's totally up to you. The turning radius is unreal I have about 8" from front of fiver to rear of cab,even had enough room to put a 60 gallon tank/tool box combo in.
Gutshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutshot View Post
I tow a 38flsa with a f350 short bed and use the Anderson ultimate aluminum hitch it only weighs 32 lbs, no grease to mess with very easy to install and it tows great! I would recommend one but that's totally up to you. The turning radius is unreal I have about 8" from front of fiver to rear of cab,even had enough room to put a 60 gallon tank/tool box combo in.
Sounds like a great option. It looks like the front cap of your fiver is cut similarly to the 26.5 BHS so I'm guessing there would be enough clearance on my rig as well. It just doesn't look as beefy as a standard 5th wheel hitch but I have yet to find one negative comment about it. And i'm guessing you have it turned around so the ball is in the further back position?
Old 10-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the reply's so far!!
Old 10-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #9

Yes I do and like one of the members had said the adapter that goes over the king pin has a very tight tolerance,personally I would rather it be as tight as it is versus loose,also the cost of the hitch was only 600.00 have you priced a reputable brand slider hitch?
Gutshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #10

We had the steel gooseneck version in our F-250 SB with our prior 5ver. Very easy to remove and put back and the 5ver rode really nice with it. Although I could not make a full 90 deg. turn, I could get real close to it. The only thing I would caution you on is sharp turns when on an incline. If not careful, you could kiss the cab.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #11

Another more critical issue to is that some of the Lippert long king pins can scrape your bed rails on certain trucks when turned and on uneven ground. Even on flat ground if you have a cover with flush rails the mounts dropping down from the unit frame can rub during tight cornering.

Seems more an issue on the newer trucks as the beds are higher and in order to get the unit level you need to take the hitch down which results in the combo causing the issues. Seen it happen on 2 occasions, so make sure you check all your turning with good eyes on all areas to you know your limits before it happens.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 01-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #12

Has anyone used this with a pinned revolution so that it operates like a standard pinbox? Want to make sure the revolution specifically will clear the bed rails.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Another more critical issue to is that some of the Lippert long king pins can scrape your bed rails on certain trucks when turned and on uneven ground. Even on flat ground if you have a cover with flush rails the mounts dropping down from the unit frame can rub during tight cornering.

Seems more an issue on the newer trucks as the beds are higher and in order to get the unit level you need to take the hitch down which results in the combo causing the issues. Seen it happen on 2 occasions, so make sure you check all your turning with good eyes on all areas to you know your limits before it happens.
You can turn the kingpin adapter to the back of kingpin and get clearance .Mine is that way and have plenty of tailgate to 5er clearance as well as bed clearance.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:23 AM   #14

Right, where the issues are is with the longer Lippert King Pin boxes. I guess the Ram beds are just higher overall as I have seen 2 instances where the king pin frames have rubbed the top rails on the sides of the bed with the heights maxed out on adjustments.

Not all pin boxes are the same length and if your model is a long box you could have issues and not just with the Anderson. I had to adjust my Reese elite up too from my previous Ford settings. I learned from someone else's mistake there.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB