Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #1

Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Hi guys,
Looking at buying a 5er with in the next 6 months. I will be needing a 5th wheel hitch. I do have a short bed box 6.5'. I was looking at the pullrite auto slider. However an RV dealer said the Anderson Ultimate is the way to go and I would not need to worry about it hitting the cab of the truck.
What's your opinions?
Thanks
(Ignore my spelling and grammar )
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #2

Try the search function above. You'll come up with several posts, but this one will probably suit you best: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tch-48211.html
Old 09-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #3

Depending on how you set up the hitch the trailer still may be able to hit your truck.

Not really a big deal. I haven't used the slide (I have a manual sliding hitch) with my trailer yet. Only came close once in a tight gas station parking lot.

PS I would go with the Anderson. I may replace mine with an Anderson this year.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

I'm the only guy on the forums that doesn't care for the Anderson hitch. I personally think the design has a flaw.

There is nothing magic that prevents from hitting your cab with that hitch. It all depends on how aware you are of several different things you have to pay attention to while backing. A slider, like a Superglide, will give you much more room before contact at around 90 degrees.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
I'm the only guy on the forums that doesn't care for the Anderson hitch. I personally think the design has a flaw.

There is nothing magic that prevents from hitting your cab with that hitch. It all depends on how aware you are of several different things you have to pay attention to while backing. A slider, like a Superglide, will give you much more room before contact at around 90 degrees.
Cdash - I'd be interested in what you think is flawed about the Andersen hitch. I use one with my 5'r and haven't had any problems. I know the hitch is offset by about 6", so it sits over the rear axle and allows the 5'r to connect 6" closer to the tail gate. I suppose some of it will come down to the type of pin box you're using as well. I've got an 8' bed, so I haven't had to work around the limited bed length. I did notice there are differences in bed length on half tons vs. heavy duty trucks. My F150 came with a "standard" bed (6.6') as you couldn't get my configuration in long bed. When I was looking at new F250's, the "standard" bed length was closer to 7' long. With my 8' long bed and the Andersen hitch, I probably have 3' or more from the cab to the 5'r nose. More than enough room for crazy 90' turns (not that I've had to do that yet).
Old 09-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #6

The issue with the AU is with the different pin box lengths. My 5er has the Lippert 1716 style which is a long box. If I put the ball coupler in front of the pin then that makes the box length longer. It then will come in contact with my bed sides. If I spin the coupler around 180* then the pin becomes too short when the AU has the ball in front of the axle. I will hit my 5er with the trucks bumper on tight turns. If I move the AU around 180* to have both the bed clearance and bumper clearance then when unhitching it gets in a bind so bad that I have to unpin the AU to be able to unhitch in my driveway. My truck and 5er are in a normal 'V' position resulting from the truck tires being down at street level and the 5er up on the driveway.
A shorter pin box would alleviate the issue.
Didn't realize this before I bought it. Had a B&W before. (Still have it). Got the AU for it's light weight. Back to the B&W now.
FWIW I have the rail version Andersen.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #7

One of the more discussed issues on this and other forums. I have used the Andersen with both of my short bed Ram trucks and have no issues. For me I see no fundamental flaws or practical flaws at all.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #8

Seems to me like a great hitch. As with any non-slider, just need to keep some SA(situational awareness) while maneuvering.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
Cdash - I'd be interested in what you think is flawed about the Andersen hitch..
My beef is with the gooseneck version of the hitch. Sure, the hitch mounts on the ball and the ball supports the vertical and horizontal loads that travel through the hitch, but this hitch relies on the bed (thin sheet metal that I can bend with thumb pressure) for stability. Rapid acceleration puts load on the back of the hitch on the bed as it tries to rotate on the ball. Rapid deceleration (or impact in the case on an accident) puts the pressure on the front edge. While no one has seen this problem out in the wild, I see it as one waiting to happen. I have a hard time respecting a company that counts on the bed as part of the load supporting system. Every other hitch manufacturer uses the frame for loads and stability. I suspect there is a reason behind that......

But who knows..... I'm just some dumb guy on the internet.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:06 PM   #10

Isn't that how the B&W Companion hitch applies load as well? Many people use them without issue.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #11

Sort of. They use a spacer so that the load goes to the bottom of the bed (not the top of the ridges), which probably goes directly into the crossbeams under the bed. Seems more reasonable to me since it provides a direct load path.