Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #1

Another Airbag Question

Let me preface that this is coming from a woman who has never heard of airbags before this forum.

I have come to the conclusion that airbags are something that we want for better towing with our Expedition. We are dropping off the Expy on Monday for a once over before a trip in a couple of weeks. Going to have them check tires, brakes, etc. and hopefully install airbags.

They asked me over the phone if I want manual pump or automatic. Ummm...I don't know. Help? Also, any particular brand and about how much do they run here in SoCal? Think I saw around $500+? Do they just go on the rear?

Thanks for any guidance!

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #2

Yes you only need them on the rear. They are mainly to level the tow vehicle and cut down on bounce. I prefer the Firestone Ride Rite airbags. The wireless controller will allow you to operate the air compressor from in or out of the vehicle, the standard controller is mounted in the vehicle. They do make a huge difference in ride quality while towing,

Hope this helps
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #3

Besides the sway bar and WD hitch there isn't too many options for you. The 2003+ expeditions have an independent rear suspension which makes fitting anything accessory wise like air bags very difficult due to the strut is inside the coil.

You may want to load everything up with the sway bar and WD and just see how level the truck is. The only other option you may be able to find is some heavy duty replacement springs for the rear, but I haven't come across anything for the expeditions.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #4

Here is a picture of the set up. This picture was taken when trailer was unloaded. I ran the numbers before we purchased and everything is within spec although we have not hit a scale yet. A bit disappointed that the 2016 tongue was a little heavier than it was in 2015 which is what we went by when purchasing. Didn't have 2016 specs yet at time of purchase.

We have the Equal-i-zer hitch with built in sway control. I don't think they adjusted it correctly at the dealer. Also looking into adding spacers which if they came with the hitch they failed to install or give us at the dealer.

[/IMG]

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #5

There are some good YouTube videos that show the equalizer set up., how to adjust or install. I picked up a couple extra spacers (washers) from the hardware store to get a little more weight transfer on mine.

I would also vote to look into the WD set up, adjust if needed, and test drive before spending hundreds of dollars on bags that you may not need, or want for the future.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:29 AM   #6

I bought a small compressor that I keep in the TT that I use for the bags. I have the Schrader valves coming out at the bottom of the tag through the bolt holes. Having IRS, I'm interested to know exactly WHERE they will mount them. Keep us posted please.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote