Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #1

Another To buy or Not Thread

Ok Guys (and gals) Another one of those ‘Should I buy a Gasser or not’ post. So here’s my story. Today I have a 2103 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins CCLB SLT towing my 2016 Jayco 29.5 BHDS. Of course the Ram tows the 5’er just fine. My daily commute is only 10.4 miles. My truck parks outside & its Cold during this time of the New England winters. My Ram has cloth, non-heated seats or steering wheel, etc. No Nav (although not really needed) no blue-tooth, etc. But it’s a great TV.

However, I’m missing those daily creature-comforts I’d like to have back. Heated Seats, heated steering wheel, leather (although not a real must-have), Blue-Tooth, Nav, etc. So I’ve started shopping around again. I always look for the 2-3 old vehicles, just because I hate the higher cost of Brand New.

So I went and looked at a 2014 Loaded Ram 3500 4x4 DRW, Longhorn Limited, Diesel. OMG, this truck was what I would have designed for myself if I could. Black-on-Black inside & out. But I couldn’t justify for cost to myself.

Next I find a nice 2015 GMC 3500HD SLT 4x4 DRW with the creature-comforts I want. Leather, heated, Nav, Blue-tooth, remote start, etc. But it’s the 6.0l Gasser. So, I’m kind of torn about its towing experience I might have with it. On a daily-bases I’m sure it will be a much nicer ride. Just not sure how disappointed I might be with its towing capabilities once out on the road. I really don’t care that much about gas mileage while towing. For now, we’ll probably camp / tow the 5’er about 6-10 times a year. Probably range about 3,000-5,000 miles a-year towing.

My other concern is, we ‘Might’ look at upgrading the 5’er to something bigger & heaver. But even if we did, that probably won’t be for at least 3-5 years from now. If I’ve read correctly, the GMC 3500 only have a tow rating for 13,300lbs. My Ram 2500 is like 17,000lbs. But, my 2500 only has a payload capacity of around 2500lbs. The GMC 3500 has a payload of 5,900lbs. If we don’t upgrade anytime soon, I’m sure the GMC will be fine. But if we do upgrade, then I don’t think the GMC will be able to handle a bigger 5’er. So I would have to probably upgrade the TV again.

I guess I’m really just looking to hear for someone that might have a GMC 3500HD DRW Gasser and how well does it handle / tow around 10,000lbs.

Thanks,
Dave…

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #2

The 6L is a gas hog. Even when unloaded it likes fuel. Other than that it's a strong engine but not if you want a bigger fiver.

If you buy a few yrs old why not get a gas car/truck for the daily use and keep the diesel for towing? Diesels don't like short trips although 10mi isn't too bad. If you plan to upgrade the fiver in short order then.

None of the current gas trucks had the capacity to tow my 15k lb fiver so I stayed with diesel. I needed the 3500 to handle the pin weight, 2500 wasn't high enough payload.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #3

If you are going to be buying a TT/5er and you already know what it is going to be... buy the truck that will tow it.. sometimes you can get deals on leftover new trucks cheaper than even 2 year old trucks... I like to look in February for left over 2017's the new 2018 are on the way and they need to get those old ones off the lot... great time to buy... also have good financing deals then, even getting a loan you pay off in 2 months gets you a better deal than buying with cash now days... make sure you go in to each one with the offers you have for the other two.. do a search across the country...

if you look at something used you are in good shape check all the forums of the trucks you are going to be looking at Ford/Dodge/GM.. see who has the troubles and what they are for what you are looking at.. they all have problems some more than others.. specific years have specific problems...

IT is always cheaper to keep a depreciable asset for the longest possible amount of time.. the used truck market is nuts at the dealer level...

I am assuming you have no issues with the short commute with the current diesel... maybe you can look at just trading in yours for an upgraded 2013? Be patient, lightly used ones come up all the time.. make sure you search a wide area..

from reading your post you know what a 2013 Dodge is so go drive the other diesels and drive them for more than the standard 10 min.. go for a good 1/2 hour make sure it is comfortable... when/if looking used check everything, seats going forward back both pass and driver, mirrors, heated, cooling seats, lights, under carriage, dash lights, you name it.. or make sure you get a bumper to bumper warranty for at least 90 days.. that covers anything you find wrong...

Good luck... "Those who buy quality only cry once"

AND of course you can tell the Mrs. that see everyone says I should but the diesel/new toy for "us"!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #4
Site Team

Nav, heated seats, etc. can be added to your current truck for just a few hundred dollars and certainly far less than what you will lose in the transition from your current truck to one that has those accessories, regardless of what brand and engine combination it has. If you just want something different, then by all means. But the fact that you may be upgrading your trailer again at some point, I believe that you are going to be just doing a stop gap exchange to get those desire features and it will not be a long term tow vehicle solution to match your future plans.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Nav, heated seats, etc. can be added to your current truck for just a few hundred dollars and certainly far less than what you will lose in the transition from your current truck to one that has those accessories, regardless of what brand and engine combination it has. If you just want something different, then by all means. But the fact that you may be upgrading your trailer again at some point, I believe that you are going to be just doing a stop gap exchange to get those desire features and it will not be a long term tow vehicle solution to match your future plans.
THIS is a great idea... you really don't need nav if you have a GPS they are by far cheaper and usually better... but yea have someone price up an upgrade to your current ride... you can get heated cloth seats..
Old 12-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I actually did consider just adding a few of the creature comforts to my current TV. But if I want the factory NAV for example, it would be like $1000 for the headunit, new radio bezel & another $500 for programming. Not sure about the cost of adding a heated steering wheel. I would really like to add Blue-Tooth, because I hate using the phone otherwise (its not safe anyways). Just a factory mirror with the speaker & microphone in it will be another $300 & I would still need to add the steering-wheel buttons / controls. That may also need dealer programming cost. I know there are tons of after-market options out there, for less cost. But lets face it, trying to use an after-market BT function, usually means turning down the radio yourself, multiple other buttons to make / receive a call etc, to really make it worth it. Factory installed is so much easier & nicer.

I love my current TV as a daily driver. Doesn't bother me at all to use, nor would a dually daily driver personally. My Ram has no issues and is currently sitting at 69,000 miles. So in my past experience, trading it in before 70,000 seems to be the 'sweet-spot' as far a value-wise goes.

Dave...

Old 12-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
THIS is a great idea... you really don't need nav if you have a GPS they are by far cheaper and usually better... but yea have someone price up an upgrade to your current ride... you can get heated cloth seats..
Funny, I just started last night looking at just getting an upgraded 2500. I also have a 3rd vehicle I can use, so I might just post mine for private sale so I can get a little more than what the dealer offers would be.

Thanks,
Dave...

Old 12-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Dave View Post
Funny, I just started last night looking at just getting an upgraded 2500. I also have a 3rd vehicle I can use, so I might just post mine for private sale so I can get a little more than what the dealer offers would be.

Thanks,
Dave...
I found that with my ford trade in by the time I figured the tax credit and what they were going for it was a wash... figure out what the new truck is worth to you, go look at what they are for trade in on nada and it isn't worth the hassle... get all your figures together, call a CU get their rates, then say my truck plus $xx,xxx and that is the deal. Get a couple of dealers lined up...

Trading with the dealer is just the cost of doing business... your state laws may be different though..
Old 12-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I found that with my ford trade in by the time I figured the tax credit and what they were going for it was a wash... figure out what the new truck is worth to you, go look at what they are for trade in on nada and it isn't worth the hassle... get all your figures together, call a CU get their rates, then say my truck plus $xx,xxx and that is the deal. Get a couple of dealers lined up...

Trading with the dealer is just the cost of doing business... your state laws may be different though..
Here in ON the tax is paid on the difference. That means I need to get 13% more than the dealer will give me just to break even. With a more expensive current vehicle it's better to trade.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #10

Areo_dave check out the 4th gen DIY forum at ramforum.com. All the upgrades you ever wanted to do are discussed and outlined. I added a leather wheel with audio controls to my 15 Tradesman. It is a heated wheel but I did not add the clockspring to hook up the heat yet. Also added Clazzio seat covers with heat over the stock cloth. Works great! I have the 5.0 head unit and have been tempted by the 8.4 upgrade but I have been holding off (almost $1400 for the complete kit from infotainment.com). The 5.0 sounds great to me with the upgraded Kicker replacement speakers.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #11

Steve, I’ve already upgrade my radio to the 5.0 back in 2015. Plus the steering wheel radio controls. I looked into the 8.4 but as you know, too costly really. I know heated seats are easy & cheap to add. But I really also like the Ram upgraded dashboard. But that’s also too costly after getting reprogrammed to match my current mileage. Then there is still Blue Tooth. I want that, but adding the steering wheel controls & the mirror & maybe programming is another costly deal. I’m really in no rush, plus I have a 3rd vehicle if I sell mine outright 1st.

Dave....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Bear with me as this is the first time I have tried to encourage someone against trading in a Ram. I have a 2010 TV, and I am reluctant to give up the creature comforts I have added.

I added an in-dash DVD GPS Kenwood that I got from Crutchfield. With their instructions, it really is plug and play and with a $50 Maestro module, I was able to keep all the Ford Sync functions and I would imagine same is available for Ram. Definitely different from the days of tracking down a loose connection or a loose ground. Simply unplug at back of stereo, plug in harness and module and plug back in and affix the new surround. Far better than any stock GPS with no yearly $$ updates and it is designed for RV's with all the campgrounds, RV repairs and low bridge warnings. It also has

I have also heard great things about Katskinz leather seat covers which are better leather than stock and could be installed by any upholstery shop for much less than the commission the truck salesmen will make on your current TV as well as the new one.

If you have any questions about the stereo install, fire away. Won't be able to give you specific instructions on the Ram, but can give you an idea of what to search for on forums or youtube.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #13

Options and luxuries aside, have you thought about the towing difference between diesel and gas? I have towed with the 6.7 Cummins in a 3500 and the 6.4 Hemi in a 3500 (with 4.10s) and it is very different. Big gassers need to rev to make power, and that's fine, but you're used to all the grunt down low. There really isn't much below 3000rpm in the gas. It will definitely take some getting used to, if you get used to it at all.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Bear with me as this is the first time I have tried to encourage someone against trading in a Ram. I have a 2010 TV, and I am reluctant to give up the creature comforts I have added.

I added an in-dash DVD GPS Kenwood that I got from Crutchfield. With their instructions, it really is plug and play and with a $50 Maestro module, I was able to keep all the Ford Sync functions and I would imagine same is available for Ram. Definitely different from the days of tracking down a loose connection or a loose ground. Simply unplug at back of stereo, plug in harness and module and plug back in and affix the new surround. Far better than any stock GPS with no yearly $$ updates and it is designed for RV's with all the campgrounds, RV repairs and low bridge warnings. It also has

I have also heard great things about Katskinz leather seat covers which are better leather than stock and could be installed by any upholstery shop for much less than the commission the truck salesmen will make on your current TV as well as the new one.

If you have any questions about the stereo install, fire away. Won't be able to give you specific instructions on the Ram, but can give you an idea of what to search for on forums or youtube.
X2 Crutchfield has excellent support and customer service. Call them. They can answer all your questions.

Great website, just type in your vehicle and year and it shows all your options.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #15

If you can afford to get the new or newer truck, I would do it.

If you spend all kinds of money on upgrading all the things you are missing on your present truck, I bet you still will not be happy with it even after all the upgrades.

If it was me, I would start looking for exactly what you want in a truck and I would stay with a diesel. Either a couple of year old truck or maybe new if you find the one you really want.

Good Luck
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #16

Ditto.

Gas vs diesel. To me it depends on how much towing and how big a trailer. If you are going to go bit, then a diesel is the way to go.

I would trade in the current truck earlier rather than later. I know some don't have problems but your short commute is killing your VGT turbo. If you are lucky it will quit before your warranty is up. Mine did not so I paid for a new one out of pocket. That truck is gone now.

Short commutes with diesels are not good for them. They take a long time to get to normal operating temp. Why do you want heated seats? Cause your truck doesn't warm up fast enough. Consider what this is like for your engine. As a minimum get a block heater, either gas or diesel.

I know alll the gadgets are nice to have, but, go sit in a service department as listen to the truck problems. System doesn't boot up, comm doesn't work, software locks up, etc, etc. Then there is electronics technology. In 5 years your truck processor will be obsolete and slow. Then what?

I use a Gamin GPS that links up with my cell phone and has a backup camera with it. If I wanted bluetooth connection to the radio then I'd just replace the radio in the truck. I don't want steering wheel controls as I find them distracting, ie, too many functions in too few controls. Most 'good' systems will have voice control if hands free is important to you.

If you want all the gadgets then do go for it, just not for me and more stuff to go wrong.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote