Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #1

Another Tow mirror question

Has anyone tried this brand of mirror on their Ford F150? If so, how did you like it.
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towin...e/KS81810.html
Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
I will try these and see if they fit on my vehicle. My cipa mirrors do not do puddle lamps. I don't get my trailer until mid feb so all I can tell you is how they fit my truck. I will say I have the chrome package so I have the chrome skullcaps they will have to fit over
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #3

I have CLPA mirrors part #11800 for my 2013 Ford F150 xlt.
I'm very happy with these mirrors, they're about the same price
as the ones you are referring to and about the same in function, but I
think the CLPA's would be easier to remove after using them. IMOH
snookwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #4

To me they look easier to install them my cipa's but the mirror is 1" shorter in height. There are good reviews for it however with the only issue being vibration. My cipa's are a snug slide on fit and I lay a paper towel in between to avoid any scratches. There always seems to be tradeoffs and with that style it might the vibration.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #5

I will check on the vibrations. I have until 31 January to return the cipa to amazon. I will check out both and see. The reason I said the puddle lamps earlier is that cipa told me they were not recommended for I the puddle lamps
Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #6

It looks to me you have to pry the mirrors off from the bottom. Problem as I see it is,
in time the plastic will get brittle and brake. The CIPA's slide on and off.
If you get them on right, they stay on fine.
snookwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #7

I got these mirrors in today. One of the other posters was right. The actual yow part of the mirror is smaller than the cipa mirrors. I will puts the on my truck and drive down the bumpy interstate to work (30 miles one way) and see if they vibrate. I will not be able to tell you how they work with a trailer because I do not have mine yet.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #8

Look at the McKesh mirrors. Tried many others and these work great. Easy on and easy off and no problems with the paint job. Also they will fit on any tow vehicle so if you have to use a different one no need to worry. Also very easily adjustable for different trailers.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingva View Post
Look at the McKesh mirrors. Tried many others and these work great. Easy on and easy off and no problems with the paint job. Also they will fit on any tow vehicle so if you have to use a different one no need to worry. Also very easily adjustable for different trailers.
I used McKesh on my 2012 Ram, Scuffed the heck out of my doors after 60 miles on a wet gritty day. Maybe some people don't have that problem, but I did. I ended up with the strap ons from E-trailer, smaller than I would like but are sufficient for the job.
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

I tried both the k source mirrors and the cipa mirrors. The source mirrors are custom fit for the ford. They do not coverup the puddle lamps or the reflectors on the outside of the mirror. They also fit really well. As the the plastic clips they are not little and are pretty thick so at some point they might get brittle (all plastic does) but I don't see that happening for a long time (at least with my usage) as they can be taken off the mirror why you are towing. The outer mirror does tend to vibrate when I drove more than 45 miles per hour but it was not bad. Your stock mirrors don't vibrate which is what I would be using most of the time. I adjusted my drivers side mirror so that when I looked at it there was a continuation of viewing between the stock mirrors and the extension. I was not able to do that with the passenger mirror because it was a convex mirror to begin with. Since I have never towed with extended mirrors I had to get used to having to decide with of the three mirrors I needed to use my drivers side.

The cipa mirrors did not have any vibration and gave me the extra inch at the top of them. However they covered up the reflector on the outside of the mirror and the puddle lamps. The manufacturer said they do not recommend them for the mirrors with puddle lamps because of the potential for scratching the puddle lamps. I did not see any scratches but the slide on is so tight (a good thing) that there is the potential for scratching the if the mirror housing is not clean.

My test vehicle is an F-150 Lariat withChrome package. It does not have the max tow package so no tow mirrors. My mirrors do have the outside reflector, puddle lamps,and chrome skullcaps. They are power adjustable and power folding.

Neither set of mirrors interfered with the powerfold operation.