Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #1

Another WDH question

I don't have my trailer yet and taking it loaded up to a scale is not a possibility, so I'm going to have to make a semi-educated guess about this and am hoping for some forum help.

My trailer will be a Jay Feather 23BHM, 6250 gross, unloaded tongue weight is 600 (using 2017 numbers). I'm going to buy the WDH online - either Equal-i-zer or Reese Steadi Flex - and I'm waffling between 1000 and 1200 bars. With the battery, hitch, and propane on that dry tongue I figure I'll pull it home from the dealer with a TW of about 770 or so, but after we load up the trailer with our stuff that weight will surely increase. I called Tech Service from both companies and both said "either one is fine" but I have to buy one or the other. What's your all experiences?
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #2

congrats on the new trailer! i have a 2008 26bh that i got last year, very similar in size and weight to yours. i had the same question and ended up getting the 1200 lb bars and im glad i did. since then ive upgraded to dual batteries and i carry more in the bed of my truck than i originally thought i would. both of these things add significant weight and sag to the back of the truck. ive put over 7000 miles on the equalizer hitch and its working well. in my opinion get the 1200s so you have a little breathing room.
xcav8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
I don't have my trailer yet and taking it loaded up to a scale is not a possibility, so I'm going to have to make a semi-educated guess about this and am hoping for some forum help.

My trailer will be a Jay Feather 23BHM, 6250 gross, unloaded tongue weight is 600 (using 2017 numbers). I'm going to buy the WDH online - either Equal-i-zer or Reese Steadi Flex - and I'm waffling between 1000 and 1200 bars. With the battery, hitch, and propane on that dry tongue I figure I'll pull it home from the dealer with a TW of about 770 or so, but after we load up the trailer with our stuff that weight will surely increase. I called Tech Service from both companies and both said "either one is fine" but I have to buy one or the other. What's your all experiences?
I used this calculator before ordering my Equalizer:
Hitch Sizes

After playing with the numbers for a bit, I went with the 10K hitch. I trusted the manufacturers recommendation. It has worked well for us. Your tow vehicle is a factor too as the beefier your truck is, the less weight distribution you actually end up with (need)... i.e. when setting up your hitch you are taking a lot of measurements off of your truck...with the camper hooked up, not hooked up, etc.. a truck with a higher payload isn't going to be impacted as much as one that's lower, and your setup changes as a result.

I think you'll be ok with either hitch, but the 12K version doesn't really come into play until your camper weighs a lot closer to 10,000 pounds. A Number you will never come close to with your rig. I think it would be overkill, and possibly have unintended consequences.. A hitch that is too big is almost as bad as one that is too small for the application. I'm a firm believer in getting over-engineered parts when they make sense, but you really want to pick a hitch that is matched for your expected use. Bigger isn't better in this case.

One of the other forum members on here is towing his 28BHBE with an F150 and he went with the 12K hitch and likes that combination, but that's with a camper that has a GVWR of 9250 lbs... 3 thousand pounds heavier.

Your camper will never weigh more than 6250 pounds. Getting a WDH rated for 12,000 lbs I think is too much. Just my opinion though.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

Thanks my friends. I ordered the 1000/10000 hitch. I understand the larger hitch gives me breathing room but we are a small family and I know we won't carry much with us. Thanks again.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote