Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #1

B&w companion setup on ram 3500

Hi,

Looking for guidance about setting up a b&w companion hitch rvk3600 puck hitch in a ram 3500 dually long-bed. We just purchased a 2016 pinnacle 36rsqs, will be picking up in a few weeks.
I want yo set up the hitch, it was delivered yesterday.

Anyone have this set up?

Which holes should i put the support arms in?

Trailer is 2 hours away so i cant check measurements.

I was thinking the forward holes, middle height.

Any suggestions?
mschombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #2

My personal thought, here, is to have the hitch installed by the trailer dealer--and not try to do this yourself--or before you pick it up.

There are many adjustments that may have to be made when the dealer hooks up your trailer to your truck to make sure it's most leveled with adequate clearances. From the pin box to flipping axles, the dealer can do all of those at the same time.

If something goes wrong between the combo after you drive off, the dealer is responsible. But, if you install the hitch yourself, the blame could be on your install.

Again, just my two cents! Good luck nonetheless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschombo View Post
Hi,

Looking for guidance about setting up a b&w companion hitch rvk3600 puck hitch in a ram 3500 dually long-bed. We just purchased a 2016 pinnacle 36rsqs, will be picking up in a few weeks.
I want yo set up the hitch, it was delivered yesterday.

Anyone have this set up?

Which holes should i put the support arms in?

Trailer is 2 hours away so i cant check measurements.

I was thinking the forward holes, middle height.

Any suggestions?
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #3

On my 36RSQS the kingpin is 12" below the bottom of camper so you need to be around 8" below the bed rails and I used the center holes arms toward the front. Love the way the Companion hitch feels towing just don't like the pin location when disconnecting.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
My personal thought, here, is to have the hitch installed by the trailer dealer--and not try to do this yourself--or before you pick it up.

There are many adjustments that may have to be made when the dealer hooks up your trailer to your truck to make sure it's most leveled with adequate clearances. From the pin box to flipping axles, the dealer can do all of those at the same time.

If something goes wrong between the combo after you drive off, the dealer is responsible. But, if you install the hitch yourself, the blame could be on your install.

Again, just my two cents! Good luck nonetheless!
Not trying to be mean, but I'm not sure I would put that much faith in the guys at the trailer shop having much clue of the best options and tweaking it after putting it together I don't see them spending the time to move 1 hole worth. If it's a light trailer it might not matter much, but big heavy you might have to play with settings. To really get an idea and right.. it might take knowing weights spring rates and measurements to know where to start to set it. What is your trailer?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
Not trying to be mean, but I'm not sure I would put that much faith in the guys at the trailer shop having much clue of the best options and tweaking it after putting it together I don't see them spending the time to move 1 hole worth. If it's a light trailer it might not matter much, but big heavy you might have to play with settings. To really get an idea and right.. it might take knowing weights spring rates and measurements to know where to start to set it. What is your trailer?

Ok I looked up your trailer. 2700 lbs pin weight. Dully you should have overloads, I would assume they will engage and once they do you won't have as much drop. So that will give you an idea of bed height loaded. After that is finding the trailer level and pin height. Oh... you might have a bunch of settings holes on the pin too on the trailer side. Forward or right over the axle might be more important, if you have a scale close to you you might see how your front axle takes the weight.

imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&w, hitch height, pinnacle 36 rsqs, ram 3500