Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2015, 05:01 AM   #1

Backup Camera for Garmin RV760 GPS

Have subject GPS and would like to add camera to tow vehicle. Garmin sells two wireless units for this gps, but both are high dollar.

Wondering if I can use a third party wired BUC with this GPS?

Jeff
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:58 AM   #2

How would you connect it to the GPS?

The Garmin BC-20 that JAYCO installed on the PINNACLE works great. The only signal loss is for a couple seconds when around some of the highway cameras.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:18 AM   #3

Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
How would you connect it to the GPS?

The Garmin BC-20 that JAYCO installed on the PINNACLE works great. The only signal loss is for a couple seconds when around some of the highway cameras.
Grumpy,

That was part of my confusion. So, I guess you have answered my questions.

Might there be other third-party wireless cameras that would work?

Jeff
Old 09-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #4

I have the same GPS and I'm also debating adding the camera. I believe it's hard wired, so it should be as "simple" as just mounting the camera and running the wire.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:30 AM   #5

I doubt it since the transmitter frequency is paired to the GPS.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
I have the same GPS and I'm also debating adding the camera. I believe it's hard wired, so it should be as "simple" as just mounting the camera and running the wire.
The camera is only hardwired in the trailer. It does not physically connect to the tow vehicle the transmitter is mounted at the very front of the trailer You need to either connect it directly to the trailers 12v system with an off on switch or use the running light circuit. JAYCO uses the running lights and I run with then on all the time and then you can switch back and forth using the GPS touch screen. On the fifth wheels they mount the transmitter in one of the very front cabinets or closet.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #7

RearViewSafety has both wired and wireless units.. I doubt you will find any that will hook to your GPS as it will probably be proprietary. After going through several wireless units I bought a hardwired unit from RVS and have been very happy with it. Sure the install takes a little longer but the no interference is GREAT..

after thought.. call RVS, toll free, they might know the frequency of your GPS and have a cam that will work with it.. worth the call if you really want wireless.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #8

Folks,

I now notice that my RV760 ball connector/power piece (that snaps onto the GPS) has a camera port (RCA?) on it. Could this mean that it will work with a wired camera?
Old 09-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #9

Had one... Didn't work as I hoped.

I have a Garmin RV760 and was given their camera as a gift. I had the dealer mount it on my previous TT, a 34ft Sunset.

The camera comes with a replacement mount for the GPS that acts as the receiver. The camera is wired to your reverse lights or in my case the running lights as it's source of power. I wanted access to the rear view while driving.

In the lot, the dealer demonstration was great and the product worked as advertised. As soon as I started driving it became a massive pain as the forward motion of the vehicles continuously caused a signal interupption and the GPS was constantly working to reaquire the signal. This would result in temporary loss of both the video and GPS functions.

Was not worth the headaches, I left the camera mounted on the TT when I sold it. The GPS on the other hand... I love. My Greyhawk came with a Nav system which I ignore in favour of the Garmin!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frjeff View Post
Folks,

I now notice that my RV760 ball connector/power piece (that snaps onto the GPS) has a camera port (RCA?) on it. Could this mean that it will work with a wired camera?
I think GARMIN would sell a wired camera if that was the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
In the lot, the dealer demonstration was great and the product worked as advertised. As soon as I started driving it became a massive pain as the forward motion of the vehicles continuously caused a signal interupption and the GPS was constantly working to reaquire the signal. This would result in temporary loss of both the video and GPS functions.
Sounds like an improper install. I've got over 6,000 miles on ours with the PINNACLE and it has been flawless, both GPS and camera. If the GPS was acting up it had nothing to do with the camera.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:25 AM   #11

Poor articulation on my part... The GPS function did not stop, it was just overridden by the efforts to connect to the camera. The issues were definetly related to install so far as the transmitter was too far away from the receiver which resulted in the sporadic connection. In my case the transmitter was installed in a cabinet in the bunkhouse. So 50 feet of steel and fibreglass to fight through.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
The issues were definetly related to install so far as the transmitter was too far away from the receiver which resulted in the sporadic connection. In my case the transmitter was installed in a cabinet in the bunkhouse. So 50 feet of steel and fibreglass to fight through.
Yep, should have been in a cabinet in the very front of the TT/FW