Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #1

backup camera for TV

All,

Yet another project....I want to install a backup camera system for my TV. My wife's Suburban has the factory-installed system that displays through the rearview mirror whenever she puts it in reverse. I'd like that same functionality if possible with an aftermarket. I believe my tailgate and truck bed are already pre-drilled with the necessary holes. I do not have any type of display in the truck interior to display the video output from the camera so I'll have to add that as well. I don't particularly want to replace the existing mirror or the factory stereo/cluster so it will likely have to be an aftermarket display also.

I am sure many of you have already tackled this project and have some great insight into products, strategy, and lessons-learned. So, how have you all done this before?

Thanks in advance.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #2

If you have a Garmin GPS many of these are compatable with the Garmin wireless (except for power cables) backup camera. Wire it to your backup lights then when you hit reverse it displays on your GPS screen.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #3

I bought a 5" TFT monitor, RCA extension cable and a cheapie camera on Amazon all for under $50 and it works well. My biggest problem was mounting the monitor. I wound up bolting an L bracket to the dash to get the monitor up where I could see it. It doesn't look the greatest but it's functional.

I wired the monitor to the fuse panel and tapped into the backup lamp to trigger the camera. I tried a camera that bolts on the license plate but didn't like the way it covered up part of my plate so I later went with one that I screwed into the bumper plastic just above my receiver https://www.amazon.com/TOPTIERPRO-Hi...70_&dpSrc=srch
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies so far. Anyone else care to opine?

shrp
Old 11-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
Site Team

Not what you are looking for probably, but I just use an iBall wireless hitch camera when hooking up. Simple and works great. Not intended as a permanent instillation, but perfect for backing in to your trailer.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #6

I purchased a tailgate handle backup camera for my Chevy pickup $100 and a 5” monitor $24 from Amazon. Came with a wiring harness. Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #7

I'd like to install a "rear view" camera on the back of the hybrid... not just for backing up, but one that operates all the time. (I get really worried about that huge blind spot that I'm towing behind me...)

Does anyone have any suggestion or observations about a good camera for non-intermittent use?

thank you
IanP, the man from Scotland
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #8

Wireless Rear View

I like the rear view camera. Mine is set up on the edge of the roof of our 195 RB looking back and is a wireless installation. The problem I have with wireless is that interference from traffic puts so much noise on the screen it is useless at times. Away from traffic, it works pretty good.
I've tried jockying the antennas around to no avail. This is a characteristic of wireless. I put a hard wired unit on a old MH I had and it worked great.

You could always try a wireless install, then, if your not happy, convert it to a wired install.

Ebay has some very good suction mounts priced very reasonably. I have one on my 7" monitor that hasn't failed yet. Once you get used to a rear view being on all the time, you won't want to be without it. Happy Trails.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowait View Post
I purchased a tailgate handle backup camera for my Chevy pickup $100 and a 5” monitor $24 from Amazon. Came with a wiring harness. Works great!

Any pics or details about the install, etc.? Thanks in advance.

shrp
Old 11-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #10

Do a YouTube search for your truck and Year. In my case, if I hadn’t checked, I would have removed 2 too many bolts regarding the tailgate handle and would have caused me more work. Ran the cable from the tailgate replacement camera down through the bottom edge of the tailgate (protect cable with a rubber grommet or wiring tube from wearing). Tapped into the driver side backup light for power. Each time the reverse light gets power, so will the camera and monitor. Used cable ties to run the wiring the from the tailgate along the frame of the truck and up through the driver side floor pan grommet. Fish up through fuse box on driver side. Use adhesive tape on monitor. Connect to monitor.

nowait is offline   Reply With Quote