Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #1

Bad tires for tow vehicle

Well, I had to buy another set of tires for my Tundra. The set I had started to flake and chip off. In Texas it’s called “Tire Chunking” according to Discount Tires.
They were 70,000 mile tires. Only got 34,000 out of them. Luckily, I was able to get them replaced (pro-rated of course) for about half the price of the original set. Luckily, the original set are discontinued.

MICHELIN LTX M/S2 are bad!!!
Attached Thumbnails
A4AE41C4-020B-4FC5-8EBD-E773E6035D89.jpg  
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #2

I had very good luck with those same tires. I had 60K on the set on my 2006 Tundra before trading in for a 2013 F150 Screw Ecoboost and they looked like they'd make it through one more winter. Maybe since I'm in Wisconsin the tires liked a little snow now and then. I'm assume you don't have that luxury in Texas.
I'm looking to replace the OEM Goodyear Wranglers on the Ford before towing season starts back up. I'm thinking 10 ply. Did you go with the Michelin Defenders which I understand are the tires replacing the LTX M/S2?
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
I had very good luck with those same tires. I had 60K on the set on my 2006 Tundra before trading in for a 2013 F150 Screw Ecoboost and they looked like they'd make it through one more winter. Maybe since I'm in Wisconsin the tires liked a little snow now and then. I'm assume you don't have that luxury in Texas.
I'm looking to replace the OEM Goodyear Wranglers on the Ford before towing season starts back up. I'm thinking 10 ply. Did you go with the Michelin Defenders which I understand are the tires replacing the LTX M/S2?
Yes. I’m on the Defenders LTX now. The issue we have in Texas is the heat, ozone and that these were just a bad set.
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Old 12-10-2017, 06:45 PM   #4

Bad tires for tow vehicle

I had horrible luck with LTX m/s2’s on my F350 as well. Tread chunking, horrible wear and 3 of 4 had sidewall failure. (I’m in Michigan. No excessive heat but I do tow heavy all the time and plow in the winter). I’ve gone back to my tried and true Firestone transforce- I only get 35-40000 miles on them, but they’re cheaper and they NEVER fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
I had horrible luck with LTX m/s2’s on my F350 as well. Tread chunking, horrible wear and 3 of 4 had sidewall failure. (I’m in Michigan. No excessive heat but I do tow heavy all the time and plow in the winter). I’ve gone back to my tried and true Firestone transforce- I only get 35-40000 miles on them, but they’re cheaper and they NEVER fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2. I was once a faithful Michelin buyer until I had 3 separate sets do exactly as shown above. Plus, one set had a complete sidewall separation. I chalked it up to my trucks being on dirt and gravel access roads every day, but it apparently happens in other applications also.

My trucks are now on either Firestone Destinations, Goodyear Duratracs, or Bridgestone Duelers. Couldn't be happier.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:46 PM   #6

I have the Michelin LTX MS2 on my truck and so far so good....bought them at Costco....
Old 12-11-2017, 03:46 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
When it comes to tires, Michelin (LTX) is still by far the best performing truck tires on the market. Tire chunking as they call it is mainly caused by gravel roads. Being in an area where we service both city and county folks, the vehicles that come in to the Dealership with this complaint on the tires are the ones that travel the dirt/gravel roads, the farming community. Most of them that come back are also "not" Michelins either. We have run across the 3/4 tons with LTX on them with the outer tread wearing faster after towing for long period of time .... advised the customer to bump up the air pressure while towing, and back to the advised PSI on door label when you return home!
Old 12-11-2017, 06:13 AM   #8

43 and counting, no gravel and wish I towed more.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #9

I had Duratracs on my dually. Great in the snow for the first while, when they wear they were crap. Also very noisy and on the diesel the fronts cupped badly.

I got about 30k mi out of them and went to Defenders. They didn't seem to be a whole lot quieter.

New truck came with Michelin AT2's so I'll see how those handle towing this winter. At least being SRW I can rotate them without breaking them down.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #10
Site Team

When I went to replace the tires on our Tundra, I wanted the LTX/MS2's again, like the last set that we put on our 2004 Tundra. They were great in the snow. I was told they were replaced by the Defender series. I called Michelin directly, and asked why the change. Customer service said Michelin upgraded the tire compounds to make them more "chip resistant". After reading these posts, now that makes sense to me.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #11

Truck Tires

Have the Michelin LTX on my dully. In Phoenix never get more than 40000 miles.Factory all ways pro rate difference.Saves a little pain / dollars.Consumer reports had a truck tire comparison attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf truck tire consumer report 11-17.PDF (64.1 KB, 25 views)
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #12

I've been happy with my Duratracs. Will probably go for them again when replacement time comes. They are the lightest aggressive off-road tire for their size and load rating which has a big impact on fuel mileage. I read somewhere that for every 1lb of unsprung weight added (tire weight) it simulates 9lbs of added weight to the truck.

My dad's truck is due for tires and he's going to try out the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo2 load range E.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #13

I have Hancook dynapro atm's on my f 150 and they have about 40,000 on them and I can easily get another 20-30k before I need to replace them. I also ran them on the 96 f350 diesel I had before it and I got rid of it when they had 30k or so on them and they had plenty of lift still. I would definitely recommend them to anyone. They go great in the New England snow and are plenty quiet on the highway
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0066.JPG  

2018 slx267 bhs
RichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsikes View Post
Yes. I’m on the Defenders LTX now. The issue we have in Texas is the heat, ozone and that these were just a bad set.
Will be interested to hear how the Defenders do under similar or same conditions. Any issues with the age of the tires (as per date stamp on tire) ? Was it towing on gravel or just driving unhitched on gravel that caused the chunking ? Was it the LT or P-Rated LTX MS2's ? Inquiring minds want to know

Reason I am asking is I am nearing the end of my 2nd set of LT - LTX MS2's and I have been happy with them, but I do not drive a lot of gravel roads. The LTX's are night and day better than the P rated Wrangler SRA's that came from factory, for towing and not towing. The LTX's have great winter traction for Ontario (Canada) snow-belt winters and wet pavement, are quiet on the highway and have provided much better mileage than the Wranglers under same/similar conditions. I wonder if the LTX's have a bit softer compound to make them better in winter which may decrease durability on Texas asphalt and gravel roads. The LTX MS2's and Defenders have a less aggressive tread on them than some comparable tires, which will hamper them off-road in the mud, but it also gives a quieter ride on the highway. I guess that is why there isn't one tire that is the best for everything.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Will be interested to hear how the Defenders do under similar or same conditions. Any issues with the age of the tires (as per date stamp on tire) ? Was it towing on gravel or just driving unhitched on gravel that caused the chunking ? Was it the LT or P-Rated LTX MS2's ? Inquiring minds want to know

Reason I am asking is I am nearing the end of my 2nd set of LT - LTX MS2's and I have been happy with them, but I do not drive a lot of gravel roads. The LTX's are night and day better than the P rated Wrangler SRA's that came from factory, for towing and not towing. The LTX's have great winter traction for Ontario (Canada) snow-belt winters and wet pavement, are quiet on the highway and have provided much better mileage than the Wranglers under same/similar conditions. I wonder if the LTX's have a bit softer compound to make them better in winter which may decrease durability on Texas asphalt and gravel roads. The LTX MS2's and Defenders have a less aggressive tread on them than some comparable tires, which will hamper them off-road in the mud, but it also gives a quieter ride on the highway. I guess that is why there isn't one tire that is the best for everything.
Only put 7,500 miles on my Tundra a year. Tires were 3 years old. All city driving. LTX Rated. We only tow about 3-4 times a year.
Equil-I-Zer WDH