Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #1

Banks -- AutoMind Programmer

Has anyone had any experience with the Banks AutoMind Programmer?

http://bankspower.com/products/show/424/93

I am looking at it for a 2012 Silverado HD 2500 Duramax.

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #2

I find that my LML has more than enough power, but if you feel that you need more then go for it. Remember though that there is no way to tune the LML without GM knowing when it comes time for warranty work and the dealerships are required to send an ECU 'snapshot' for compensation on any powertrain job.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #3

I think that is another way of saying "if you install a programmer, your GM warranty is toast".

IMHO it isn't worth the risk.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

I have the older Ottomind in my diesel (it's old enough that I am the warranty now) and I love it when driving solo. It's connected to the Banks iQ, which is a great little toy. I never tow anything with a tune though. It's always in stock form when there's weight involved. That may seem counter intuitive, but I've personally seen heat damage on the underside of pistons. With tuning, EGT's (Exhaust Gas Temperature) generally go up, and that's never good for engine longevity. I believe even Banks themselves (despite making a "tow" tune) would advise caution on towing with a hotter-than-stock tune. My $0.02.

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #5

My LMM isn't tuned either. I looked into it for fuel economy not so much for the additional HP. From what learned not only does tuning affect warranty, for good reasons I suspect, but to really effectively tune you need to delete the EGR and block the DPF on my truck. Since CA is a Diesel Smog Req state I didn't want to have to undo the EGR/DPF delete and went with out tuning.

However, if you aren't concerned about warranty or smog, Brown's Diesel in Riverdale, CA offers EFI Live V2 tuner with safe tunes that many of my friends are really happy with. You really should check the Diesel Forums...there are thousands of posts on tuning, benefits of and risks. You really need to consider both carefully.

For what it's worth. www.brownsdiesel.com
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote