Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2022, 06:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
You all slow down!!! let me pop some popcorn and get a chair lol. This should be fun.
Lol, Yes, I agree should be funny.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
All 3 of them are phenominal trucks. Find the one that meets the approval of the wife and the bank account. One may be slightly faster than the others going up the Ike, but the reality is that any of the 3 will safely and comfortably haul ridiculous amounts of weight.

The only real difference is personal preference and price point. My current truck is a Ram and I LOVE the Cummins, but I have zero loyalty to any brand.

^^This^^ Sorry but I have always been a ram guy so I want be able to help.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:13 AM   #23

These are always fun to read! As many have said, drive all 3 and pick what you like best and has the most bang for your buck!

I am NOT at all brand loyal! I’m most loyal to my bank acct! I drove all 3 twice (when I was buying a 2500 & later a 3500) and both times Ram won me over. When I purchased my ‘16 3500 dually, it was down to the Ford King Ranch and my Ram Laramie Longhorn. Both were similar, but (to me) the Ram’s ride was better (has airbags) and the Ford was $7-9k more everywhere I looked.

Now go drive them all!
Old 01-07-2022, 07:58 AM   #24

Regarding your question, don't take the naysayers seriously. Many subjects on this and most other forums are a repeat of similar questions, probably many times over. Without them there wouldn't be much left to discuss and the forum would experience a slow, agonizing death.

I've had a couple of duals, a 2015 GMC and a 2017 Ford F350. Both were excellent trucks . We downsized the fifth wheel and now I have a single rear wheel F350 with a long bed. It is the perfect truck for our fifth wheel with it's 4054 pounds of payload. I hope to keep this one for a while. It gets 21-22 mpg highway solo so we do take it on long trips sometimes and leave the wife's Subaru in the garage. It rides good for a big truck. I have no brand loyalty and would not hesitate to get a Ram if I liked it best. Same goes for GM. The problem you will have is finding something to test drive I would suspect.

Pricing may be problematic for anything you find and from what I have read ordering may be your best option. There is a dealer in Granger, Iowa (Granger Ford) who advertises on the Ford diesel forum that any ordered truck is sold at 2% below invoice so there may be some reasonable deals out there. I'm not sure about Ram and GM but right now ordering a Ford with adaptive steering and/or the fifth wheel hitch might cause a slow down. A few on the Ford forum have reported getting their trucks within 60 days or so. Some have waited for months so I guess it depends on how your dress them out.

Folks do rave about the F450 because of its tighter turning radius but finding one to test drive might be nigh on impossible.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzilla46310 View Post
Can’t decide between the Kenworth or Peterbuilt! Definitely not the Volvo.
Myself I like the Volvo
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:31 AM   #26

I was always a diehard Ford guy until I bought a 2012 Ram 2500 CTD. Had it for 6 years and besides the junky regen/EGR issues it was my 2nd favorite truck to date. I got tired of the short oil change intervals and super slow winter warmups.
I then bought a 2018 ram 2500 6.4/4.10 truck. I only tow around 9600 lbs so I felt that was enough truck. I hated the poor mpg's towing or not. Constant revved up 6.4 towing in the PNW so after 2.5 years I found a leftover 2019 Ram 3500 Big Horn Cummins. Got a killer deal on it right before truck prices went through the roof.
The 19 is an absolute beast and gets the best mpg's towing or not. Everything about the 19 is head and shoulders above the previous two Rams.

I personally like the looks of the Ford and Ram over GM's and the interiors of the Rams are ergonomically nicer for me as well.

With all that being said I'd have no issues owning any of them. I don't think you can go wrong these days with any of the big 3 diesels. Each has their own pro's and con's so just find the one with the most pro's that work for you.

I will add that I've never owned a GM truck. I've owned several Fords bought at my local Ford dealer. When I bought my 1st Ram I dickered with the local ram dealer and one 50 miles away. Bought the 12 at the 50 mile away dealer. Ended up needing some warranty stuff worked on as well as had the local dealer do oil changes later on. The local Ram dealer has been fantastic to work with. Much better than the local Ford dealer. thats why I bought my last two Rams locally. Had they been jerks I probably would've gone the Ford or Gm route. So yeah the dealer played a part in my decision making.

I also did my wheeling and dealing with the fleet sales rep. Much nicer than the typical young not so smart main floor sales person.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:54 PM   #27

I’m certain GM is the best because that’s what I have. I kid. I will say that in most campgrounds, I’m in the minority with my Chevy. Don’t know if that’s price point, utility, reliably, availability or what. But maybe something to note.

I’m on my third Chevy HD truck. For two primary reasons. One is that up to the 2020 model that was the only HD truck that fit in my previous garage. Second, I like the independent front end. I rarely even see a dirt road much less anything off road. Mine is a 19 so it doesn’t sit real high which is good for pulling my FW. I’m not a big guy, so the smaller interior is comfortable for me.

I’d like to have that Ram exhaust brake and the latest Ford Body style. Not a huge fan of the newer GM body style in SRW. DRW looks good. Also, hate my DEF fill point, but GM finally fixed that in 2020. If I were upgrading to a dually, I’d probably buy another GM or a Ram to try a different flavor.

They’re all pretty awesome if you’ve got the coin. Any of us who have any of these new trucks on the radar are pretty fortunate.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:25 PM   #28

which ever one gives you the best deal as long as it isn't a ford/gm or dodge...

I ended up with a 19 gm because ford was REALLY proud of their 350... $12k is $12k all day every day...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:05 PM   #29

Dodge Ram in my opinion. I had a SRW and I am a big fan of the Cummins engine.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:20 PM   #30

I don’t own a dually just a poor ole SRW F350. That said my comments are generic. While I am died in the wool Blue Oval guy my ‘13 350 has not been drama free. I’ve got an on-going AC issue. Started with some codes indicating a couple of failed AC plenum air valve motors. Replacement required removing the dash. Thx to YouTube I tackled it, tho daunting it was manageable. I then discovered a slow refrigerant leak which I am managing by recharging as needed, 3-6 months. I can’t find any leaks and suspect the evap (and I had the dash out!). Recently an intermittent cooling issue has me suspecting a failing expansion valve. That said the AC mostly works.
The second issue was the cold-side tube coming from the intercooler. Driving around town I heard and felt a “pop”, thought someone had run into me, but no. Immediate loss of power, limped home and looked for codes via ForScan and they all pointed to the turbo. YouTube convinced me that was out of my wheelhouse and to the dealer we limped. Told the guy “think the turbo $hit th bed” and had visions of $?,000 to repair. Got the call the next day that it was the intercooler tube. Guy said the Ford part (plastic again) was back ordered but he could install a metal aftermarket instead. Yes please! MUCH cheaper than I expected, so I’m happy.

Ok, all that said I still love my 6.7 Ford! I expect I’ll remain a Blue Oval guy till they put me in “the box”. We all love what we love and sometimes there’s no explaining. Like Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) said, “wouldn’t it be a real drag if we were all the same”.

Oh, since this is JOF I’ll toss this out. I’ve loved both Jaycos we’ve owned!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:14 PM   #31

Which Dulley to buy

In 2018 I switched from a Ram 3500 dulley to a Ford F350 dulley. I have always been a Dodge/Ram guy but I couldn't get the options that I wanted in a 3500 Ram or in a GM. Ford was the only one of the big 3 that offered adaptive cruise control in their heavy duty trucks at the time. I was very pleased with everything about the Ford and feel that it performed equally well pulling our 40 ft Redwood 5th wheel. My local dealer was excellent for the purchase as well as service. We've since gone to a Class "C" Grewhawk Prestige motorhome so I don't need the Big truck anymore and traded it for an F150 just to run around with. Again, just as happy as I was with the Ram and the great dealership really ads to the package.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:43 PM   #32

Smile One other thought

Just one other thought. I have a Chevy Silverado that has a recall for the Takada air bag. It has now been over a year since the recall and the dealer always says "no information, I will contact you when I hear something." I think GM is still making new trucks and it feels like the recall is a bottom priority. You may want to think about the manufacturer support in addition to the truck features.

Good luck with you new truck.
virginia27.5rlts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:58 PM   #33

I did my research in 2018 / 2019 and I ended up getting a 2019 Silverado 3500 Duramax Dully. Not because it was better then the other two. But because I loved my 2002 Silverado 1500HD. But I would have been very happy with a Ford or Dodge I am sure. We have a 2019 Pinnicle and the Chevy does an excellent job. But I see just as many Fords and Dodge trucks in the camp ground's.

When I was doing my research 2 diesel Mechanics had a show on YouTube labeled best diesel truck. They said the best diesel is a Ford Body with a cummings engine and a Allison Transmission. LOL

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36SSWS (Louise)
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:05 PM   #34

I know you stated one ton dually but think outside the lines. For the same price as a new dually you could buy a converted Peterbilt, Kenworth, Volvo or Freightliner and have as much whoa as go. Plus you can have a 2000 mile range, carry a toy, brakes and tires last 150000 miles, CDL not required. Safer, more capacity and you have overnight capability in the cab if you need to spend the night in a truckstop and can't put the slides out in the 5th wheel.
CraigBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:00 PM   #35

Last year I purchased a 2018 Bighorn Ram 3500drw. I had a 2006 chevy Duramax that I sold to buy the ram. I chose the ram because I liked the looks of it and I feel it is easier to work on if necessary. Ford is out because you have to remove the cab to do anything to the motor. I didn't like the Chevy because it looked too boxie to me. This is my first Ram and I'm satisfied with it.
Benandtina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawags45 View Post
I did my research in 2018 / 2019 and I ended up getting a 2019 Silverado 3500 Duramax Dully. Not because it was better then the other two. But because I loved my 2002 Silverado 1500HD. But I would have been very happy with a Ford or Dodge I am sure. We have a 2019 Pinnicle and the Chevy does an excellent job. But I see just as many Fords and Dodge trucks in the camp ground's.

When I was doing my research 2 diesel Mechanics had a show on YouTube labeled best diesel truck. They said the best diesel is a Ford Body with a cummings engine and a Allison Transmission. LOL
a parts truck this would be the best solution...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBU View Post
I know you stated one ton dually but think outside the lines. For the same price as a new dually you could buy a converted Peterbilt, Kenworth, Volvo or Freightliner and have as much whoa as go. Plus you can have a 2000 mile range, carry a toy, brakes and tires last 150000 miles, CDL not required. Safer, more capacity and you have overnight capability in the cab if you need to spend the night in a truckstop and can't put the slides out in the 5th wheel.
This is my future plan
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #38

They're all good. All 4 major players are still around for a reason.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:04 PM   #39

Find a good dealer!

I'm not really brand loyal. I finally found a Ford dealer that has taken pretty good care of us so I'm sticking with Ford. The Ford and Ram are easily the best looking. I drove Chevy's for years and just can't like the styling on the new ones. I think they will all do a good job pulling a big trailer, probably would be hard to go wrong.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:09 PM   #40

I've got to call it like I read it...this is probably the BEST "Brand" comparison thread I've ever read! It's the most LOVE I've ever seen expressed from brand loyal folks in all my life!