Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #21
JMC

Picked up our 29BHDS last week and realized it has an underslung coupler... Doh! Good news is that Amazon will return the Blue Ox for the BXW1503 model that's meant for an underslung coupler.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #22

I have been using the Blue Ox Sway Pro for a few years. Make sure you get the proper hitch head for your trailer coupler (standard or underslung). Have not had any bad experiences with sway. I partially lower the TT onto the ball. then set chains with approx. 3 links showing. Once attached then fully lower TT. Releasing the chains I'll lift the ball to reduce chain tension for easier disconnect
jbnimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #23

I have pulled different trailers with different hitches. Blue Ox works well with both sway and weight. I am presently pulling a 49 ft eagle and it does great
mikehoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:50 AM   #24

I have the Blue Ox on my current trailer. If I had it to do over, I would have stuck with my Equal-I-zer hitch. Much prefer it to the Blue Ox. For me, much easier to use.

And the silly "wrench" Blue Ox supplies to hook up the bars is ridiculous. I soon resorted to a breaker bar and socket.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I have the Blue Ox on my current trailer. If I had it to do over, I would have stuck with my Equal-I-zer hitch. Much prefer it to the Blue Ox. For me, much easier to use.

And the silly "wrench" Blue Ox supplies to hook up the bars is ridiculous. I soon resorted to a breaker bar and socket.
Oh interesting with the system I have there is no wrench involved what is the wrench for. With mine bars slide in hitch head and the end with chains I raise trailer up al the way which allows you to connect chain. Then the lock simply slides over chain. Thanks
Old 02-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #26

Quote:

Same here. The supplied "wrench" is a joke. I do like the performance of the Blue Ox and will stick with it. One thing I miss though is the ability for the DW to hitch up like she could with the Andersen we had on our smaller 195RB. I just came across the LCI Straptek which looks like it could solve that problem. I read a few reports from folks using it with the Blue Ox and seeming to have good results:

LCI Straptek

It's about $185 on Amazon.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #27

I'm using a BO 1500/10000 hitch with a 9500 lb TT with 1350 lbs for TW. It's a nasty event when releasing the tension. My Ram 2500 is raised up until the rear tires are just touching the ground. There's still a good amount of tension on the 1500 bars. I'm on the 10th link to get the front of the truck back to 1/4" of OEM.
I called BO and the tech guy said to try the 2000 lb bars. That way I don't need as many links hanging to get the same weight transfer. Works better. I only have 9 links hanging and the unhitching is less violent.
This winter I bought the Strapteks. From watching videos it looks like an easy way to use the BO. I will be trying them in a month or less.
Had I had to do it over again I would've just went with the EQ 1600/16000 hitch.
Would've been cheaper and since I had one years ago I am familiar with it. Much easier to hitch. I hated all the greasing and noise though and thats why I went with the BO.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
I'm using a BO 1500/10000 hitch with a 9500 lb TT with 1350 lbs for TW. It's a nasty event when releasing the tension. My Ram 2500 is raised up until the rear tires are just touching the ground. There's still a good amount of tension on the 1500 bars. I'm on the 10th link to get the front of the truck back to 1/4" of OEM.
I called BO and the tech guy said to try the 2000 lb bars. That way I don't need as many links hanging to get the same weight transfer. Works better. I only have 9 links hanging and the unhitching is less violent.
This winter I bought the Strapteks. From watching videos it looks like an easy way to use the BO. I will be trying them in a month or less.
Had I had to do it over again I would've just went with the EQ 1600/16000 hitch.
Would've been cheaper and since I had one years ago I am familiar with it. Much easier to hitch. I hated all the greasing and noise though and thats why I went with the BO.
Let us know how these work. I just came across them the other day and they look interesting. While the tension on mine isn't quite as bad as what you describe, I wouldn't mind reducing or eliminating it if possible.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Same here. The supplied "wrench" is a joke. I do like the performance of the Blue Ox and will stick with it. One thing I miss though is the ability for the DW to hitch up like she could with the Andersen we had on our smaller 195RB. I just came across the LCI Straptek which looks like it could solve that problem. I read a few reports from folks using it with the Blue Ox and seeming to have good results:

LCI Straptek

It's about $185 on Amazon.
My Blue Ox chain holder is not the turning kind. They just lift up. I have had them for several years they be an older style. I am not sure
Old 02-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehoots View Post
Oh interesting with the system I have there is no wrench involved what is the wrench for. With mine bars slide in hitch head and the end with chains I raise trailer up al the way which allows you to connect chain. Then the lock simply slides over chain. Thanks
What you describe sounds similar to Reese WDH systems. Mine is the Blue Ox Sway Pro system. I really have to jack the rear of the pickup up with the electric tongue jack to be able to lock the chain in position using the breaker bar.

It's even more important to have very little tension on the system when unhitching. It can "snap" with considerable force. It can hurt you if you don't expect, or are ready for it, if enough tension isn't releaved.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #31

Quote:
What you describe sounds similar to Reese WDH systems. Mine is the Blue Ox Sway Pro system. I really have to jack the rear of the pickup up with the electric tongue jack to be able to lock the chain in position using the breaker bar.

It's even more important to have very little tension on the system when unhitching. It can "snap" with considerable force. It can hurt you if you don't expect, or are ready for it, if enough tension isn't releaved.
The system I have is very simular to reese which I used for years. The difference is with a reese hitch you need to use both lifter and sway bars. With this blue ox system yes I need to raise hitch up to clamp or release lifter bars but with a 39 foot trailer I do not need the sway bar that I used with the reese system. I am not totally sure why because they are so similar except for the way they hook onto the head.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:32 AM   #32

On my rig I first used the Husky Centreline which was stolen. Then I had an Equalizer which I didn't care for. Now I have the Blue Ox and it has been the best choice for my rig yet. I really like how easy it is to set up and change settings on the run if you want.

I installed the Straptek system on the Blue Ox because we sometimes have to hitch every day and jacking up the truck is a pain. Now I just use a ratchet to crank the spring bars up. It takes about 2 minutes to hook up the trailer once the coupler is on the ball.