Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #1

Brake Controller Help

Haven't found a TT yet, but I'm getting ready for when the day arrives.

Purchased a Prodigy P2 brake controller for my 2011 Toyota Tacoma truck which has the factory towing package. The brake controller has a wiring harness that plugs in to the truck's connector which, according to the Tacoma's owner's manual, is behind the dash on the left side of the steering column somewhere near the emergency brake.

My problem is that I cannot find the truck's connector behind the dash. Is this thing hidden behind a panel somewhere, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks in advance for your advise. Being a newbie, if it hadn't been for this forum, I would not have even known that I needed a brake controller. Now, if I can just get this thing installed, I'll be closer to TT day!
2011 Toyota Tacoma, V-6
Realval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

if no one here can help, try a toyota forum. I have always found them very helpful as well.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #3

Mike,

I have a 2007 Tundra, and the connector was located behind the driver side panel, forward of the door, beneath the dash. In the Tundra there is a black cap nut (2?) to remove and the panel comes off pretty easy. If I remember correctly, it was taped to a bundle of wires and had a plug in the end to protect the connection.

Hope this helps
mlinder1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #4

Best bet is to take your truck to a reputable hitch installer or camper store and have them install the harness and the brake controller. Will not cost you much at all and they should know exactly what they are doing.

KRP
Kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the help everyone. You guys are the best! After searching for about an hour, I finally found the truck's connector taped to a wiring harness behind the drivers side kick panel. Now, it's just a simple plug and play to install the Prodigy P2 brake controller, and I can get back to my search for a TT.
2011 Toyota Tacoma, V-6
Realval is offline   Reply With Quote