Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2019, 06:17 AM   #1

Brake controller location

I am new to towing a trailer and have done a bunch of research only to come up empty handed so here is my question I have a accupower pod controller for my 17 Ram 1500, it is a plug and play unit but when installing it I wanted to make it discreet and mounted it side ways in a drawer under the radio. Still very accessible just hidden when not in use. A friend of mine thinks this won’t work because it needs to be parallel with the travel of the vehicle, is this true or can I leave it perpendicular?
Vento_R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:34 AM   #2

You MUST be able to easily reach the manual brake control slider. If you cannot comfortably, and ideally with out taking your eyes off the road, access the slider, relocate the brake controller. Also, I'm not sure the controller will even activate if mounted sideways.......
edit - there might be a factory controller option for your dodge.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrnigan View Post
You MUST be able to easily reach the manual brake control slider. If you cannot comfortably, and ideally with out taking your eyes off the road, access the slider, relocate the brake controller. Also, I'm not sure the controller will even activate if mounted sideways.......
edit - there might be a factory controller option for your dodge.

I most certainly can reach it I’m not worried about that it’s the position of the controller that’s the real question. I can get one for the Ram but that are pricey and I can’t really afford one right now.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vento_R6 View Post
I most certainly can reach it I’m not worried about that it’s the position of the controller that’s the real question. I can get one for the Ram but that are pricey and I can’t really afford one right now.
Then, hook up the trailer and go for a ride. As you begin the tow, activate the brake manual slide, if the trailer brakes don't activate (lock up) - troubleshoot
Then, find a deserted street or empty parking lot and adjust the controller per the adjustment instructions. PS, before moving trailer, you can activate the manual slide control and have someone listen for the trailer brakes operation - it will be a high pitched / buzzing sound.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #5

According Tekonsha's site that model it can be mounted any direction:
Features
The Pod can be mounted in any direction, and its unique design features up-front-easy-access adjustment controls, even when mounted upside down.

http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...KH4B3oPCN7x1fQ
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #6

I figured I would follow up with this after I got a chance to tow the trailer for the first time. It turns out the controller can actually be perpendicular to the vehicle and still work normally pretty cool. So I have it tucked away in a drawer under the radio that hides it when not in use and when I need it it’s in the perfect spot thanks for the input.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #7

I'll just share a thought that you might want to consider. About 10 years ago we we're coming home from a trip. We were less than 10 miles from home. It was pouring buckets, I was doing about 45 mph. Suddenly the back end of the truck slid sideways. It was shocking. As I glanced in the side mirror the trailer started swaying violently. I reached down to the brake controller under the dash. Easy to reach, right? As I was doing this I slowly pumped the brakes. I could not find the lever for the brake controller, even though I knew where it was. It all happened VERY fast. I finally got it in the last few seconds and between that and pumping the brake I got it under control. The entire episode lasted maybe 10 seconds.

I'm not sure the outcome would have been good if I had hid the controller for aesthetic purposes. I can't tell how scary that experience was.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #8

I mounted my controler under the dash but in the center. At this point either of us can hit the manual control

I like this as I can ask my wife to be ready to hit it if I anticipate trouble and that way I have both hands free for the wheel and the gears as needed.

Mine comes off of a plug and lives in its box under the seat when it is off season so the visibility while towing or between tows is reasonable.

Also, i can see if the brake is operating and connected with a short glance every time I hook back up.

I agree with all the previous in suggesting you don't put it where you can see it and reach it instantly.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I'll just share a thought that you might want to consider. About 10 years ago we we're coming home from a trip. We were less than 10 miles from home. It was pouring buckets, I was doing about 45 mph. Suddenly the back end of the truck slid sideways. It was shocking. As I glanced in the side mirror the trailer started swaying violently. I reached down to the brake controller under the dash. Easy to reach, right? As I was doing this I slowly pumped the brakes. I could not find the lever for the brake controller, even though I knew where it was. It all happened VERY fast. I finally got it in the last few seconds and between that and pumping the brake I got it under control. The entire episode lasted maybe 10 seconds.

I'm not sure the outcome would have been good if I had hid the controller for aesthetic purposes. I can't tell how scary that experience was.

I do understand what you mean but the controller is well with in arms reach and will be accessible at all times while towing. I took that into care consideration while choosing the location
Old 04-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
I do understand what you mean but the controller is well with in arms reach and will be accessible at all times while towing. I took that into care consideration while choosing the location
I'm not sure you do. Mine is not hidden. It's within arms reach and accessible at all times. I thought I could easily get to it, and yet I still didn't get to it quickly enough. What I'm saying is what happens when you need to access it in an emergency, fiddling with what ever drawer you have, then finding the lever, could mean the difference between controlling the trailer or losing it.

You said you are new to towing. Please take into consideration those of us with experience are telling you. I really hope you never have to experience what I did. I'd hate you to find out too late that hiding it is not a good idea. Keep in mind that I've been towing trailers since probably '88. Camping trailers since '92.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I'm not sure you do. Mine is not hidden. It's within arms reach and accessible at all times. I thought I could easily get to it, and yet I still didn't get to it quickly enough. What I'm saying is what happens when you need to access it in an emergency, fiddling with what ever drawer you have, then finding the lever, could mean the difference between controlling the trailer or losing it.

You said you are new to towing. Please take into consideration those of us with experience are telling you. I really hope you never have to experience what I did. I'd hate you to find out too late that hiding it is not a good idea. Keep in mind that I've been towing trailers probably '88. Camping trailers since '92.

I appreciate the advice and understand the severity of the situation. It’s in the drawer and closed when not in use but open and at the ready for when I will be towing, in fact the lever when the drawer is open is inches away from where Ram puts the factory lever.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I agree with all the previous in suggesting you don't put it where you can see it and reach it instantly.

I understand you "think" its easily accessible but in a drawer or compartment it isn't. It's your ride mount it like you want but, would you want your horn in a compartment?
All it takes is that one time where you got comfortable and forgot to open the compartment or someone moved something around the console and it got closed accidently.

Just be safe bro. Thanks all I'm saying.
gpeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #13

Quote:
.... It’s in the drawer and closed when not in use but open and at the ready for when I will be towing, in fact the lever when the drawer is open is inches away from where Ram puts the factory lever.
Can you post a picture of the controller in the drawer from the driver's point of view?
Macaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw View Post
Can you post a picture of the controller in the drawer from the driver's point of view?

Sure later on when I get home from work