Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #1

Brakes screeching

Heard loud screeching noise coming from back of trailer while driving and noise goes away upon braking Looked down at break controller (factory mopar part on Dodge) and noticed it was on 3 (usually we set it at 5) tried bringing it up but it didn't want to change but then it finally did after a few tries. The noise stopped after twe brought it up to 8 but on braking, numbers would fluctuate all over the place and when releasing breaks, it would go back up to 8.
We then were able to dial it back down to 5.5 where we like it and it seems good now.
Of course, it's friday and the one and only "mobile RV" service tech says he doesn't do mobile service.
On my way to Dodge see if it's brake controller problem.
Never really looked at it while towing, is flucruation normal??
What to do?
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #2

I don't know about the built in break controller, but on my Prodigy it reads that it is connected when you are not braking. When braking the display does show the amount of brake pressure being applied, and that does change depending on if I am braking harder or lightening up on the brake pedal. Good luck with your problem.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
I don't know about the built in break controller, but on my Prodigy it reads that it is connected when you are not braking. When braking the display does show the amount of brake pressure being applied, and that does change depending on if I am braking harder or lightening up on the brake pedal. Good luck with your problem.
Feeling foolish now. Wish I had paid attention to normal operating display on brake controller.
Would you think that it's just a matter of trailer break that stuck for a while? Weird that the noise went away when we got it back to 8.
Would the fact that the are stucked prevent us or made more difficult changing the number on break controller?
Also, display showed 3 while screeching, and stopped at 8. Wouldn't 8 apply more pressure on trailer breaks?
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote