Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #1

Brattleboro VT Bridge

Hi, folks. Anyone have any experience with the height clearance of the bridge across the Connecticut River coming east out of Brattleboro, VT, into NH? Good Sam's travel planner has flagged that bridge as 11'6", and my new Jay Feather 23RLSW is supposed to be 10'8". (We're overnighting at the Hinsdale Campground in NH).

Can I believe the 11'6" clearance markings and quit worrying, or should I detour around it?

Thanks!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #2

If the sign says 11'6" then I would think it can be trusted. I just can't imagine the local DOT/DPW would give out wrong info else they'd be liable.

FWIW, I've been over that bridge a few times, but always on a motorcycle. Great restaurant right there (Whetstone Station) if you can find a place to park your rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Brattleboro Vermont.jpg  

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
If the sign says 11'6" then I would think it can be trusted. I just can't imagine the local DOT/DPW would give out wrong info else they'd be liable.

FWIW, I've been over that bridge a few times, but always on a motorcycle. Great restaurant right there (Whetstone Station) if you can find a place to park your rig.
Google Streets shows the main bridge clearances as much higher - it's near the edges where clearance drops to as little as 11'4". Even that is not really a problem, but I expect to "white knuckle" my way across the bridges no matter what.

Thanks, for the restaurant suggestion, too. Saw that on Trip Advisor, and it's highly recommended.

Roger

Old 03-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

FYI the bridge on 91 just south of Brattleboro (Brattleboro Bridge) is under construction and down to one lane in each direction. Real tight through there as a result. Might be done by Summer, but doubt it.

I would trust the heights posted by DOT.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #5

Bridge clearances are rarely posted at 100% accuracy. They are typically 2" to 3" less than what the clearance actually is.

I trust that clearance signs will allow safe passage for the height they stipulate.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
FYI the bridge on 91 just south of Brattleboro (Brattleboro Bridge) is under construction and down to one lane in each direction. Real tight through there as a result. Might be done by Summer, but doubt it.
I see what you're getting at; you can even see the construction work using Google Streets. Luckily we're coming into Brattleboro from the west via Vt. 9, and on our return trip we'll be getting onto I91 south at the south end of Brattleboro. So we'll avoid that both ways. yay!

Thanks,

Roger

Old 03-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #7

Hinsdale? WooHoo!!! My favorite stop for fireworks!!! 3 shops lined up one right after the other just a mile down the road from the Brattleboro bridge. Uh...I mean, if fireworks were actually legal for use back here in NY. And er...if I was actually the kind of guy who would transport them back across state lines. Aw hell...never mind. Let's just pretend we didn't have this little discussion...even if they know me by name in all of the stores. Oh yeah, the worst thing about the bridge is the way traffic backs up. Weekend afternoon bottlenecks are the norm. X2 on the restaurant recommendation - great outdoor seating overlooking the river if the temps are favorable.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
Hinsdale? WooHoo!!! My favorite stop for fireworks!!! 3 shops lined up one right after the other just a mile down the road from the Brattleboro bridge. Uh...I mean, if fireworks were actually legal for use back here in NY. And er...if I was actually the kind of guy who would transport them back across state lines. Aw hell...never mind. Let's just pretend we didn't have this little discussion...even if they know me by name in all of the stores. Oh yeah, the worst thing about the bridge is the way traffic backs up. Weekend afternoon bottlenecks are the norm. X2 on the restaurant recommendation - great outdoor seating overlooking the river if the temps are favorable.
So, should I use your name if I stop in for some fireworks???

We're arriving in the neighborhood on weekday afternoons, so I guess we'll be OK with traffic. We may check out the Whetstone Station restaurant, too.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post

We're arriving in the neighborhood on weekday afternoons, so I guess we'll be OK with traffic. We may check out the Whetstone Station restaurant, too.
Better his name than mine!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN6163.jpg  

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
If you do decide to browse the pyrotechnic purveyors, make sure to stop at Fantasy Fireworks. It's old and ugly from the outside, but it is family run and they are the nicest people to buy from. Better deals than the 2 big boys next door (Phantom & TNT), and they will help you to get exactly what you want for you show. And yes...tell them Tom from Lake George sent you over. Also, ask about the secret free t-shirt deal.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #11
bap

It's an old steel arch bridge scheduled for replacement. If you are concerned about the height, take exit 3 of I-91 North and get on Route 9 east across the river into New Hampshire then take Route 63 south down to Hinsdale. That bridge is a much better bridge and is the way trucks go going east into NH.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #12
Site Team

We stayed in Travelers Woods, Bernardson, Mass. and I hit a low railroad trestle near the entrance road to the campground. My fault, it was marked and there was an alternate route but my GPS routed me there and I tried to go under it slowly. Just minor damage but I learned that day to look up! It was right off I-91 near Brattleboro.

Travelers Woods - Bernardston, MA - RV Park Reviews
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We stayed in Travelers Woods, Bernardson, Mass. and I hit a low railroad trestle near the entrance road to the campground. My fault, it was marked and there was an alternate route but my GPS routed me there and I tried to go under it slowly. Just minor damage but I learned that day to look up! It was right off I-91 near Brattleboro.

Travelers Woods - Bernardston, MA - RV Park Reviews
I'll have to keep an eye out for that underpass! Thanks for letting me know.

Roger

Old 03-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #14

Tow truck operators have told me it is common for them to repave a road and forget to premeasure the clearance so beware if it is within a few inches of your height
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #15

Follow-up: The folks at the campground where we will be staying on the NH side of the river say not to worry about the bridge(s), that truckers go through there all the time with 13' 6" vehicles. The low clearance is a small brace at the top corners of the bridge structure, only a foot or so; the first bridge is 15' 0" and the other one is something like 14' 10". Now my only concern is the 8' width of my TT, which also should not be a problem. Thanks to all for your input!

Roger